Twoply

Slider up and Short delay offheadings

This morning I climbed to 550 feet on a tower with a slider up pack job. The winds on the ground were calm, but at exit they were pushing the lines more than 45 degrees off straight out from left to right. I heard the voice telling me this might not be a good idea but after a 2.5 sec delay, I pitched. Not too hard but solid. I opened with a 190 right and was very aware that I was looking at the tower almost right in front of me and that the guy wires were very, very close to my left side. I reacted with a right riser that completed the momentum of the offheading and point me back out to the desired direction. That scared the shit out of me. This was not my first severe offheading but definitely the worst. I'm thinking that a short delay with slider up packing might be a possiblility.

If that canopy isn't pulled down and put under enough stress by a body in freefall, I think it has a chance of catching a random cell and inflating it. This could produce a nasty opening and a variable one at that. This is my current thought.

I'm asking for real ideas and hypothesis and not some thread trailing off into mudslinging and some site naming argument.

What are some of your guy's experiences on short-slider up-delays and offheadings?
Thanks
Mike

There have been many discussions about this topic here and on Blinc and I think the consensus was that slider up short delays are an off heading opening just waiting to happen. If your only wanting a 2-3 second delay I would stick to slider down no question about it. 550ft is a bit short to be doing a slider up off an "A", if you can go higher and take a longer delay so your farther from the object when you open and you have more speed to give you a cleaner deployment. Another tip is to calculate your opening altitude to be between wires, this might come in handy if you have another off heading! It's much easier to do with a 2sec. slider down jump than a 2sec slider up one.

peace,

ps hitting towers sux!

What are some of your guy's experiences on short-slider up-delays and offheadings?

Short slider up delay = unpredictable openings.

That's been my experience.

How high was the wind at opening?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

this is also my experience. we tried to analyse some video with short delay/slider up and came to a conclusion, that the relative long snivel will create offheading openings, due to the influencing wind situations. I see it the same way: 2-3 sec. delay: slider down. the only object which is not in this thoughts, is a S with a good landing area. but personally, I like the reliable and quick openings on short delays, even if they produce a little more sound. B|
--------------------------------------------------

With sufficient thrust,
pigs just fly well

I see it the same way: 2-3 sec. delay: slider down.

by my limited experience in the sport i cant regonize this.i have 1 slider up jump the rest is slider offs.i have done many(considder my ammount of jumps)2-3 sec delays and i usaly has dead onheadings.Most times as i did have an offheading i could tell before the canopy were out,becours i tipped a shoulder,went abit headdown or so,things that stand it clear that you might wont have a onheading as the canopy is out there.

Personaly i will say that nomatter what,then more delay=more chance to get an ONheading,no matter if its slider up or down.am i wrong?Ofcours at one point you wont speed more up,after that its the same..

I like the reliable and quick openings on short delays, even if they produce a little more sound.

its about GROUNDRUSH,FAST OPENINGS and BIG BANGS:PB|

hope to hook up whith you this summerB|say if your heading my way,my house is open:)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Personaly i will say that nomatter what,then more delay=more chance to get an ONheading,no matter if its slider up or down.am i wrong?

While that's a good generalization, it's not always true. It also depends on how the canopy is configured. For example, I'd say that a 3 second slider up delay will have worse heading than a 2 second slider down delay.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

yes i do agree in that,i see slider up and off as 2 different kind of jumps,therefore i didnt mix the onheadding between thouse 2 as its to me are 2 way different ways to jump(atleast to me)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

OK. Maybe a little language barrier there.

You're definitely right on, then. More delay = better heading, when all else is equal.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

i think im the one that didnt explained my self the right way;)

psst shouldnt you be jumping right now.....

Stay safe
Stefan Faber