panavision

Back-Protection

what do you think about using back-protection for low urban stuff?
pro and against?
some specific manifacture?
only thinking.........
thanks

panavision

I'm a huge proponent of Body armor (actually I'm not huge, I'm only 5'6")

I use the Dainese safety jacket. My first one came in handy. With out it I would have been either dead or paralyzed.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I appologize if this is a duplicate post. The previous reply didn't seem to make it through.

My brother and I both jump with Dainese Shuttle Pro suits. A couple of months ago, he had a tailgate hang-up on a 165' span. He covered the distance to the ice in 5 seconds, roughly equivalent to jumping backward off a 15-foot platform. His tailbone and head took most of the force of impact. It looked bad, but he got up and did two more jumps that day. Without the armour, I'm sure he would have broken his back.

Dainese armour isn't cheap, but I think the quality is far superior to the cheaper Bohn armour.

The Shuttle Pro doesn't restrict your movement at all, and is very comfortable. In fact, I've done several jumps in a day without removing the armour just because it's that comfortable. With my old Bauer elbow/knee pads, I'd take them off right after I landed, because they weren't so comfortable.

If you're not looking for a full suit, I think the Safety Jacket mentioned by another poster is basically the top half of the Shuttle Pro.

The Shuttle Pro also has a sort of "cumberbund" that holds the lower part of the back plate in place. It also provides some abdominal pressure which I suspect stabilizes the low back.

Michael

Here's a link that shows the safety Jacket and the Shuttle Pro.

http://www.go-ride.com/prod_armor_dainese.html

I have Henwag Paragliding boots and Fox Knee shin guards for the legs.

It's all expensive but if you're lying in the hospital waiting to learn how to guide a wheel chair with a blow switch, you'd pay anything to wake up.

The Boots are about 250. Much better than the cost of new ankle hardware.

I also have a safety jacket but I find it restricts raising my arms up - I still am able to reach the toggles/risers etc... but it just feels restrictive which sort of feels wrong standing on some exit points. I was thinking of removing the hard shoulder pad shell - thinking this might help - but then that shell might be nice in a knarly PLF someday. Does anyone have any experience with hurting your shoulder from a vicious PLF? Not sure how much force goes there b/c I've only PLF'd a couple of times on relatively soft ground.

Anyone remove your shoulder pads from the dainese safety jacket?

With all this talk about protection, I'm curious: what would you guys use for a helmet? Full-face hang/paraglider, DH MTB (with visor removed), rock climbing, regular skydiving helmet? What are the (dis)advantages of the preference?
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

Yeah I use a Dainese Safety Jacket also. It does make your rig a much tighter fit, but it does feel comfortable. I have not needed it in anger as yet.

The other problem is that when u have done a jump, the stash bag (I have a standard BR model) is overflowing with canopy and armour.

Meeker

I use a Z1 with the visor removed. Not through any particular preference, just what I had available. Quite happy jumping with it, doesn't restrict vision too much. Only downside is not being able to hear so well...

I also have an armoured motocross jacket... can't remember the make. I don't find it restrictive (apart from when wearing the gear bag), and I wear it when climbing etc. Fortunately the only time I've needed it was falling over on rocky ground walking away from the object after a jump :S
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

what do you think about using only Wave Back Protector by Dainese?
Is possible to gain an useful box-position with WBP?
Is possible to complete some aerials with WBP?
if i jump a pin rig with the Wave, i must consider to adjust the lenght of the the loop to settle the tension on the pin?

panavision

Only downside is not being able to hear so well...

Mate.. cutting your hair should take that problem away:ph34r::D or not...

Fortunately the only time I've needed it was falling over on rocky ground walking away from the object after a jump :S

Stop drinking Guinnes:P;)

hope your all good mate

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I was thinking of removing the hard shoulder pad shell

I removed them too. It was too restrictive otherwise.

....naughty boy Faber - how does that remain on topic? You may not be able to spell, but you can at least read the rules, right? ;)

And to keep this on topic; Guinness is very helpful before jumping as the iron content helps with climbing. Or something.

Oh, and you should never jink and drump. But wearing back protection helps if you do...
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

I've not tried just the back protector. However, I knew a very experienced jumper who wore one regularly. He performed aerials and made wingsuit flights wearing it on many occasions.

what do you think about using only Wave Back Protector by Dainese?

It's probably a decent compromise. It's the most important part of the protection, and still allows good flexibility.

Is possible to gain an useful box-position with WBP?

Easily.

Is possible to complete some aerials with WBP?

Yes, although it restricts motion somewhat. If you want to do fast spinning (i.e. slider down) aerials, it may get in the way of a tight tuck. I haven't tried a twisting aerial wearing one, but I'd imagine that might be tough, too. For more specific info about back protectors and aerials, I'd try posting to the ABA forum, because I know at least one very experienced jumper down there has worn back protection for advanced aerials.

if i jump a pin rig with the Wave, i must consider to adjust the lenght of the the loop to settle the tension on the pin?

Yes, but the difference isn't as much as you'd think. You really ought to consider pin tension for any configuration--clothes, armor, whatever.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

i am in the army and have had some knarly PLFs in some high winds (gust of 25?) Just be sure you hit all five points to distribute the shock evenly. Its not really the side of the shoulder, more the pullup muscle...
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

As for helmets, alot of the skydiving helmets out there look sketchy at best. Even if they are made out of great materials they have to be designed right to take advantage of strong materials. Also, there is no standard that I know of to compare the strengths of these lids.
So, I have a Giro ski helmet that I think is made by Bell. It is perfect for skiing, skydiviing and BASE. You cannot see this helmet in your peripheral vision at all. It is fairly light and will take a friggin solid whack and absorb as designed.
"I'd like to thank my helmet." A world famous quote, or it should be!

SabreDaveB|

With all this talk about protection, I'm curious: what would you guys use for a helmet? Full-face hang/paraglider, DH MTB (with visor removed), rock climbing, regular skydiving helmet? What are the (dis)advantages of the preference?

I once slid the side of my face accross an airport taxi way during a skydiving swoop gone bad. Thanks to my Factory Diver I walked away without a scrath on my ugly face. Ever since then I've worn it on almost every skydive and BASE jump. It doesn't affect one's vision at all, it's comfortable and light weight. Although it's not as strong as something like a motorcycle helmet, the comfort makes up for that and makes it much easier to wear and haul around.

After hearing horor stories about injuries involving open face helmets and their lack of protection (JG's wall strike in Moab this Thanksgiving comes to mind) I'm completely sold on wearing full face protection.

Thanks for statrting this thread by the way. I'm interested in getting some body armor, but still have some questions that this has helped answer.

THOR

"Ignorance is bliss" and "Patience is a virtue"... So if you're stupid and don't mind waiting around for a while, I guess you can have a pretty good life!

With all this talk about protection, I'm curious... do you guys use Sheik lubricated, or will just any old condom do? I want to know...

Skin?
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Sheik super thins.

Stay safe out there.

Ansell Extra strong. I can put them in the washer and hang them up to dry. Recycle, waste not want not.
"In one way or the other, I'm a bad brother. Word to the motherf**ker." Eazy-E