sky2

45'' pilot chute

What is the recomanded height for using a hand-held 45'' pilot chute? thanks

Pilot chute size is better correlated to intended delay than object height. A 45" would be about right for 0-2 seconds of delay.

I see that you are in Croatia. Do you know Robert? I'm sure that he can answer your questions better in person than we could in an internet discussion.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

i tryed mail Robert a couple of days ago,i didnt got an answer yet, i guess he might is out playing...

i agree in Tom about the 0- max 2 sec range..

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

We were bored the other day (it was windy), and it seems that the manufacturers have different ways of measuring PC sizes. I can't remember for sure, but Vertigo's were the only ones that measured true. 42" means 42". Seemed that the BR and CR PCs that we had were measuring 45" claimed, was actually 43". I think it has to do with cut and finished dimensions, but its worth a look and measure to see for sure what you have...
---------------
Peter
BASE - The Ultimate Victimless Crime

Seemed that the...CR PCs that we had were measuring 45" claimed, was actually 43".

Um, who claimed that the CR PC was a 45"?

As far as I know, CR has only ever made stock PC's sized 32", 38", 42" and 46". So, unless the PC you were measuring was custom, it couldn't have been a 45".

Do you know if the CR PC was vented? The CR A/V series PC is built on a slightly different model, where the ZP, when inflated, actually pulls down around the "corner". I believe this is supposed to make the PC design more stable (I've seen no data on this). Without having seen the PC in question, I'd guess that was a CR 42 A/V and you were measuring the ZP, rather than the topskin surface.

Still, measuring your PC's is a good practice.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I have one of each size CR AV pilot chutes. I'll measure them tonight. You're correct about the desired result of the pilot chute design. The inflated profile is inherently more stable than a standard pilot chute.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

How do you guys measure PC size? Flat, over the load tapes, streched or non streched,???

Is there a PC manufacturer who puts his name on the PC?

Is there a PC manufacturer who puts his name on the PC?

I know that Dennis McGlynn (Gravity Sports, Ltd) embroiders a hook, and the letters "GS" on the handle.

I'm not sure about others, but if you know what to look for, it's pretty easy to tell the major manufacturers PC's apart.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

How do you guys measure PC size? Flat, over the load tapes, streched or non streched,???

I'm going to measure them flat. The only markings on mine are 32,38,42,or 46, stamped on the load tape near the cap. Mine are all CR AV pilot chutes so the cap is mesh.

I just measured my pilot chutes.32", 38", 42",46" are all what they are supposed to be. I measured a vertigo PC and it was 42" as well.

I just recived a CR 42áv zp pc yesterday,i noticed it were sightly bigger than my 42´av zp pc from BR(2cm more in dia)perhaps this is becours CR use large holed mesh?

Stay safe
Stefan Faber