tosca

tapes on the inside of pilotchute

On all pilotchutes I have seen, tapes are on the outside. Is it always like this? Is there a reason for not having them on the inside?

They wouldn't look as cool with the tapes on the inside! :P
"When it comes to BASE, I'll never give advice, only my opinion"

With tapes on the outside, the fabric of an inflated pilot chute is pushed against the tapes. In this case, the load is transmitted directly from the fabric to the tapes and the stitching is simply there to bind the tapes to the fabric and keep the tapes from "sliding around".

If you put the tapes on the inside, the load received by the fabric can only be transmitted to the tapes by the thread. In this case, 1) the thread is the weak link, 2) the PC material is not designed to load against the smaller thread holes and will begin to stretch and eventually tear.

By posing such a question, I'm guessing you don't have a copy of Poynter's Parachute Manual around. If you find a rigger who has one, take a look at Vol 1. Figure 9.3.1.8.8 "Strains". Look at the fabric just outside the seam... This is effectively what you would see from the outside of the PC if the tapes were on the inside.

Edit: And, yes... It looks cool. :P

Mark