pbla4024

Freepacking into skydiving rig

Free Pack, Easy I do it all the time.
1- First you find a big student rig big enough to hold your BASE canopy.
2- Cut your canopy off your BASE rig, at the risers.
3- hook your risers to student skydive rig.
4-..( No, D-Bag ) dont need to use it, dont worry.
5- use skydive pilot chute, your BASE pilot chute is to big for skydive B.O.C
or leg strap pouch throw-out. ( use bridal for that student rig )
6- Leave mesh Slider on. ( dont need sail slider )
7- PRO Pack - (use a couple of rolls on nose )
8- Use a couple of raps of rubber band to tie slidder up to inboard C-line.
9- 2- raps primary line stow & stow lines in tail pocket.
10- stack fold your Main in tray Tail Pocket first and close.

ad 5) I plan to use my 38'' PC. Is it fine?
ad 7) Do you mean standard BR packing, just roll the nose?

Fido

Sorry if I reply myself, but I have done with my Fox (at the times) about 40 skydives (deployed from a Javelin) with BASE packing, so I consider myself an "expert" in using BASE parachutes in a skydive B|

> 5) I plan to use my 38'' PC. Is it fine?
Forget using your 38" (it would distort your pack job at terminal). Rather, use any skydiving ZP PC in the 28"÷32" range. It is up to you if use the skydiving bridle (7ft - 2.13 m) or the BASE bridle (9ft - 2.74m), both would work fine in a skydive. But I doubt you can find a spare, "usable" skydiving bridle with one free loop at each end (normally, skydiving bridles are sewn onto D-bag and onto PC).

> 7) Do you mean standard BR packing, just roll the nose?
Yes indeed, BR standard BASE packing is fine. And if you roll the nose 3 times (instead of just 2), it's not wrong!!! It is going to open up anyway!!!!
Have fun!!! :ph34r:
Stay safe out there
Blue Skies and Soft Walls
BASE #689 - base_689AT_NO_123_SPAMyahoo.com

I put a handful of skydives on my Troll recently. With a 3 or 4 second delay, propacked with plenty of rolls in the nose and using my 32" zp pc the openings were quite brisk enough. I packed it in to a dbag.

Gus

Edited 'cos I'm a 'tard.
OutpatientsOnline.com

hi, if you use a vented troll, the openings are slightly harder because of the vents. for using my troll mdv at terminal, I prefer a sail slider, usual skydiving pc and rolling the nose (4 times each side) and stuck it into the center cell. nice and onheading openings. I also do not use the deep brake setting (mostly there is no obstacle in my way after opening in that case);)
--------------------------------------------------

With sufficient thrust,
pigs just fly well

I also do not use the deep brake setting (mostly there is no obstacle in my way after opening in that case);)

Surely if your Deep Brake setting is correctly set (as in for slider off /down) then jumping slider up with this setting will possible cause your canopy to open in a stall?

My thought that the shallow brakes were to give you the same setting as your deep whislt rigged for SU due to the control lines routing through the slider and keeper. (although people do use shallow also on SO for other reasons)

Am I incorrect in this thinking?

Surely if your Deep Brake setting is correctly set (as in for slider off /down) then jumping slider up with this setting will possible cause your canopy to open in a stall?

Am I incorrect in this thinking?

No. You are correct. A properly set DBS used slider up will result in a stall.

If your DBS can be used slider up, then it is probably too shallow to be truly considered a "deep" brake setting at your exit weight, and you ought to customize a true "deep" brake setting for yourself.

Here is yet another copy of something I re-posted a while back:

Deep Brake Settings should be customized to the particular jumper. Here's a good BLiNC thread about DBS (among other things). In relevant part (emphasis added):

***As to brake settings and deployments. They definitely have an impact on what kind of deployment you have, but I'd like to clarify something about brake settings that is often misunderstood. People refer to deep and shallow setting as if they are absolutes. They are simply one, two or more points within a control range that can span several feet. The appropriate brake setting for one person may be totally wrong for the next. Deployment method (slider up or off/down), density altitude, and system weight all play a part in determining what the appropriate brake setting should be. The depth of the setting and the jumper's weight are directly proportional. i.e heavier jumper = deeper brakes. This is why we place a custom deep brake setting on all Mojos, Aces and Blackjacks. It also means that at 145# when you borrow your buddy's 280 the shallow setting would be your only choice or you will open in a stall.

It would be nice if we could just set them as deep and shallow and cover the range, but when you try to deploy a canopy close to it's minimum speed it becomes too sensitive to safely guess. Skydiving canopies have their deployment brakes set at an intermediate point in the control stroke based on a jumper of average weight (for that canopy size) so they have some latitude. They also have no solid objects in the way on deployment.

What this all means with respect to your questions is that unless the deep brake setting was custom placed for you by either the manufacturer, or at your request after experimentation, it may have no relevance to the actual deployment brake setting you need.

- Adam Filipino, Consolidated Rigging

I believe that the BASE world is somehow forgetting that a Deep Brake Setting ought to be customized to a particular jumper. Partly this is a sign of laziness on our part. Partly, it is a bad habit being actively encouraged by some gear manufacturers (BR? Care to comment on why you are doing this?) In either case, it is certain to result in object strikes and injuries (see the wall strike at the last turkey boogie, under a shallow braked canopy).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Any comment about BR's canopies now delivered WITHOUT DBS? ( like mine, for example?)

Fabien
BASE#944

Any comment about BR's canopies now delivered WITHOUT DBS? ( like mine, for example?)

My comment is:

Customize your Deep Brake Settings.

Do it now. Do it yourself. I ignore BR's instruction not to customize DBS on every one of my canopies.

You might want to read the thread on Deep Brake Settings that I spun off of this thread.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com