webracer

Is it just me?

Is it just me or does this sport just scare the shit out of everyone.
The worst (and most dangerous) part, I think, is the climbing.
As I stand at the exit point, I am scared shitless, and do not understand why I am doing this.
I have 32 jumps under my belt, and it takes all I have to leave.
I don't understand why I am doing it, until I leave, then I feel free.
Just seems quite extreme to be looking death in the face everytime I do it.
Should I quit?

I am scared shitless, and do not understand why I am doing this.
I have 32 jumps under my belt, and it takes all I have to leave.
I don't understand why I am doing it, until I leave, then I feel free.
Just seems quite extreme to be looking death in the face everytime I do it.

Should I quit?

If you dont like the above,then probaly yes;),im still scared as i jump,and the day im not,ill stop jumping. its the fear of dying that keeps the respect for this sport,if you lose this and keeps jumping,you will probaly die.
just my personaly 0.2

PS i cant tell if you should stop,but if you dont feel that the risk you takes is worth it,then i think you should stop.

Its personal as .... Its not hard to jump,its hard to walk down..(but it shows your strong)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I have a 5% bail rate. I have climbed and hiked down from A,S,E all without shame.

As to whether you should quit, only you can answer that one grasshopper. You are in one helluva predicament when you step off and if you aint all there mentally you shouldn't be there physically.

The "should I quit?" part of my post is kinda a rhetorical question. The answer (for most people) is obviously yes, but it isn't the answer I'll go for.
I will continue to pick my sites carefully (I feel pretty mortal, I definitely won't be hard-core), and make more jumps. I need to have complete control at the edge (currently I just shut the world out to prepare). If conditions and my gear are good, I go because I am there.
I really posted so I would know I'm not alone. Everyone deals with their emotions differently, and this is one way I am dealing with mine. Thanks for the PMs and replys, keep them coming.
Not sure if I am BASE material, but I'll keep trying. At least I don't have gear-fear.
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.

Think your scared now. Wait till you have a object strike. :o B| That puts the fun back into it!;)
"When it comes to BASE, I'll never give advice, only my opinion"

Gear fear is not a bad thing, I believe. My greatest fear in life has been to pitch and only continue to accelerate. An unsecured bridle killed a jumper this past year.About 5 years ago, a now deceased jumper was referring to a jump he made from a sub 300' cliff in Moab area. He described walls on each side of the exit point extending out at 45 degree angles severely limiting how much of an off-heading could be dealt with.When asked if he jumped it and why, he replied..." I've got all brand new gear, what could happen?"

Yes, he is still dead.