rendezvous

ZP 7 Cell for BASE practice

I jump a 7 Cell ZP triathlon loaded at 1:1 for Skydiving. Do the flying skills that I develop on it help in anyway towards those that are required for F111 BASE canopies or is it that a ZP 7 Cell means that I might as well be flying a ZP 9 Cell from a F111 BASE canopy point of view. Basically, if the experience that I gain under a ZP 7 cell helps me understand BASE canopy flying better than that under a ZP 9 cell then I want to keep the 7 cell else change to 9 cell. I not into BASE yet but plan to sometime in the future.

Keep the Triathlon, it'll fly more like a base canopy.

However, since it's at a higher wingloading, it will still be *very* different.
What's your exit weight?
-Josh
If you have time to panic, you have time to do something more productive. -Me*
*Ron has accused me of plagiarizing this quote. He attributes it to Douglas Adams.

When I am gearing up for a base jump I fly the canopy I will be jumping for the base jump all the way down to putting a non-collapsible pilot chute on my canopy. It's going to give you more of a real life view of how the canopy will fly on the base jump. The drag from the non-collapsible pilot chute is what you will experience on your base jump, as you will be jumping a non-collapsible on the base jump. Also, you will be practicing landing in deep brakes, full flight and then flare, riser landings and this I do all under my F-111, large 7 cell canopies. I got a real lesson when I had to land on a basejump with risers and had never really practiced this before...it was a real fear for me and then it happened...better to be prepared then have to rely on instincts on a basejump when everything is happening in hypermode and slow motion all at once.

If you are just getting started in base, there are some canopy skills tasks that you can find on the baseboard (baselogic) that are quite helpful. I would recommend you view them and maybe try them out. Also, if you are just getting started, do you have someone with experience that is helping you along or are you just interested and going about this haphazardly?

C-Ya
Kaye
[email protected]

Yep, this used to be linked on the baseboard...I haven't gone on and looked for it lately because I have it printed and in my binder for reference. It's a great tool and the practice is invaluable.

C-ya
K

I understand that. My question is more to do with, if I want to just continue to do some drills with BASE in mind but not really as a preperation for going off to BASE jump immediately after, in that case does it matter if these drills are done under a ZP 7 cell or ZP 9 Cell. What I'm really asking is, at 1:1 loading does a ZP 7 cell really simulate a F111 7 Cell base canopy or that if it's a ZP at 1:1 it doesn't really matter whether if it's 7 or 9 cell as far as learning something about the flying characteristics of a BASE F111 are concerned.

My short answer: Go for the 9 cell. Do your BASE drills on a big F-111 7 cell, preferably the BASE canopy you will actually use for BASE.

You will gain some marginal benefit from using a ZP 7 cell, but you're better off realizing that it's not that much, and just doing specific drill dives on a BASE canopy. That way, you can skydive the canopy you really want to skydive with.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Skydiving canopies (faster for softer landings) are designed for different objectives than are BASE canopies (slower to have more time to react for off heading near objects). The airfoil is the pertinent determiner. Not the number of cells. Try this example: Would flying a Parafoil give one the experience one needs to fly a Triathalon or vice versa... apples and oranges. hope this helps
take care,
space

thanks for all the input from all of you. This definitely clears up the questions I had.