baseclimb

Cruiselite

Does anybody still base a cruiselite on regular basis? There is quite a few for sale, and was just wondering if I should try mine out on a base.....

I'd avoid it.

I've jumped Cruiselites on several BASE jumps. I'm only willing to jump them on (a) spans over water where I intend to land in the water, or (b) big walls with a high probability of gear confiscation, and good landing areas.

I've not been overly impressed with the inflation characteristics, so I wouldn't be willing to take one to a low object where either fast inflation or on-heading opening was essential.

I also haven't liked the flare (probably because most Cruiselites are very, very old), so I wouldn't try to put one down in a bad landing area.

The bottom line is, with modern BASE gear available, why bother? Unless I have a good answer to that question (like saving my good gear from confiscation or water landings), I'm going with a modern BASE canopy.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Cruiselite....Crashlite.....Bruiselite.....there are many names for these evil canopies. Some of my worst landings, openings, and pack jobs occurred while using a Cruiselite.

I agree with Tom on this one.....Cruiselite's suck.;)
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

Yo !

I have put about 50 jumps on Cruislite at the beginning of my base jumping career. It was a rather lame canopy, even with an extra steering line mod. Pegasus on other hand has served me much better - i had a couple at some point and their openings (especially slider-up) and landings felt better than BASE-specific canopies of that time.

Like Tom said, today it makes very little sense to BASE jump anything other than a BASE canopy. Any old skydiving canopy will be very questionable from a structural integrity point of view, at the very least. It may make sense to use a disposable canopy on an easy high-bust jump, but that's about it. I know, some of my good jumper friends like pain ;) but from a pure financial point of view, any broken bone will cost more than a brand new canopy...

bsbd!

Yuri.

Ok. I'm convinced.... Scrap it or safe it for water landings. Bones is more important than pounds and pennies.

Cheers!

It's an EVIL canopy man. I used it for the bridge. I'm light though, 155 butt nacked. It performed OK but still evil! >:(
Memento Audere Semper

I've got a whole bunch of skydives on a Cruiselite 220 and I can never land the damn thing properly. I always end up on my butt! :)
I wouldn't BASE jump with it!!!! :S
www.motavi.com