KrisFlyZ

Suunto Watches are not for Skydiving.

Just incase someone was looking to buy one. These watches are built for sking, mountain/rock climbing and golf.

The following is from the sunpath homepage, link below.

Stylish Suunto wrist watches that features a range of functionality, including an Altimeter that is ideal for Skydiving.

Go to the Sunpath

The following is from the SUUNTO USA website. Scroll down to the General FAQ section.

Is the Suunto Wristop Computer going to replace a true baseplate compass, or other precision instrument?

No, the Suunto Wristop Computers are NOT intended to be used as a substitute for professional or industrial precision instruments and should NEVER be used to acquire measurements when skydiving, hang gliding, paragliding, gyrocopter riding and flying small aircraft.

First altimeter is your eyes, second the altimeter, and third the auditable, Please create altitude awareness is really important in this sport.
Cielos Azules
Pablito

"If you don't overcome your fears they will overcome you first"
Shady Monkey/6Segundos Rodriguez/AKA Pablito

I did'nt want to spend over 300 bucks to experiment.

Do what you want but you won't experiment it. We are a bunch using Suunto at my home DZ, some as a primary alti for maybe 2-3 years with no reported problem at all.

What you'll have to experiment is your comfort level with the size of the numbers on the display. You may find them too small or less readable than a conventionnal alti.

S-P
===========================

Just incase someone was looking to buy one. These watches are built for sking, mountain/rock climbing and golf.

The following is from the sunpath homepage, link below.

Stylish Suunto wrist watches that features a range of functionality, including an Altimeter that is ideal for Skydiving.

Go to the Sunpath

The following is from the SUUNTO USA website. Scroll down to the General FAQ section.

Is the Suunto Wristop Computer going to replace a true baseplate compass, or other precision instrument?

No, the Suunto Wristop Computers are NOT intended to be used as a substitute for professional or industrial precision instruments and should NEVER be used to acquire measurements when skydiving, hang gliding, paragliding, gyrocopter riding and flying small aircraft.

My "regular" skydiving altimeter is most certainly not a precision instrument.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

You can buy the Vector for way less than $300.
It's $199 at rei.com
Of course if you only want digital, go for the Neptune and then you get a log book as well.
D

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=28195&parent_category_rn=4500566

I use my Suunto Observer for CRW jumps. Using a standard wrist-mounted altimeter creates a snag hazard during CRW, and the very low profile of this watch takes care of that. However, it is hard to read in all situations. You have to physically turn your wrist to to see this watch, and my particular model is hard to read in low light conditions (sunset jumps).

I find my Suunto remarkably accurate, and it has not failed me for any of the CRW jumps I've used it on. However, I would not use it as a primary altimeter on a freefall jump. It might make a good accessory to put on your right hand, that way, you can know what your altitude is no matter if you are looking left or right. It is important to realize that it is another snag hazard that many people will not want when deploying their main, so that must be considered first. However, with such a small profile and clean design, the snag hazard is minimal. But don't take my word for it.

See picture attached of my model Suunto.

I tried using it as my primary alitimeter but ran into some veiwing problems. My freefly suit is so baggy that it covers it up on my wrist in freefall, so I use it mainly for a back up devise for my setup alitude for HP landings. Also found out it makes great chest mount for birdman suit jumps, just wrap it around your chest strap and use the smallest adjustment on the band.
Kirk

They refresh once every second verses the digitudes which refresh 2 or 3 times every second (I believe)

From a dutch resellers website (which I'm not going to quote :) once per 10 seconds :o

(But I could be misunderstanding what I read there... :$ )

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

at 23 jumps it's obviously not right for you to wear something like a Suunto.

I myself have just bought a Vector and i love it. Actually cant stop looking at my wrist (sad i know)

The reason Suunto have that warning is they dont want to run the risk of a failure and or courtcase.

I know a great number of skydivers who use the vector/Suunto other models as primary altis with no problems at all.

I guess its all what works for you and your experiance level.

I haven't jumped with mine yet, but will, and will continue to jump with a regular alti.
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

Protec helmets are also not for skydiving - as stated by the manufacturer. Doesn't stop us from usin' them.

Good point! I just think it is amusing that the Sunpath website advertises a watch/altimeter named Vector!:o
"Dropzone.com, where uneducated people measuring penises, has become an art form"

From a dutch resellers website (which I'm not going to quote ) I found some tech info. It says that when you switch to the altimeter function it will measure once a second for 3 minutes and after that once per 10 seconds

I jump one most of the time, and through comparison I will state that it is far more acurate than my Alti 3.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Chicagoland SKydiving is an official retailer for Suunto's.

When I was speaking with the USA rep, they maintined that they are not deisgned for skydiving, and should not be used for it.

That said, neither are pro-tec's. I think whats going on is that Suunto is more then willing to sell the watches for the purpose, but are expressing a disclaimer of sorts so that we won't go after them if they fail.

It's just another kind of disclaimer.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I found some tech info. It says that when you switch to the altimeter function it will measure once a second for 3 minutes and after that once per 10 seconds

This is also what the manual states.

However, when its in a rapidly changing environment, either climbing in the plane or in freefall, it switches into a mode where it updates 3 times every two seconds - more then fast enough for skydiving.

I reiterate what I've said many times. The Suunto is not for beginners, nor is it for those who depend on instruments for their altitude awareness. However for those people who've progressed beyond simply trusting mechcanical devices, it seems to work quite well.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

First altimeter is your eyes, second the altimeter, and third the auditable, Please create altitude awareness is really important in this sport.
Cielos Azules
Pablito

:P haaaaa!!! Yeah, you tell em seis segundos... tell em what the ground looked like when your cypres fired. ;)

all jokes aside, Pablito is right, train your eyes and your mind!

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

It says your not suppose to put a Q-tip in your ear, but I don't know what else your going to do with them B|

“- - Sumo is the greatest of sports. It has power, grace, speed and cluture. And most importantly, two fat bastards smacking the shit out of each other. ”

I jump one most of the time, and through comparison I will state that it is far more acurate than my Alti 3.

If you were using your Alti 3 for comparing, whats did you use as your standard.

If you compare one against the other how do you know WHICH is more acurate. Just because the Suunto gave smaller increments does not mean it's more accurate.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I think you're right that a lot of people don't understand the difference between accuracy and precision. But I'm assuming in this case (just because I've heard the same thing so many times), they've compared it to the plane's altimeter which is much more accurate. Course ya can't do that in freefall.

Dave

Protec helmets are also not for skydiving - as stated by the manufacturer. Doesn't stop us from usin' them.

True enough, and a Protec provides better protection than most, if not all "skydiving" helmets.

-Josh
If you have time to panic, you have time to do something more productive. -Me*
*Ron has accused me of plagiarizing this quote. He attributes it to Douglas Adams.