CanuckInUSA

Re: [TomAiello] what's a good 1st BASE canopy??

Oops. Missed this bit.

I also like what I'm reading about the ACE. What about using one in a Gargoyle container (or Medusa if you can convince me I'd be happier with velcro)?

I merrily mix my gear configurations between manufacturers. I have had my Blackjack in a Gargoyle, as well as a Prism. I've had no problems at all. There was a poll on BLiNC a while ago about mixing harness/container and canopy. As I recall, no one reported any problems with mixed configurations.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

We give NO ONE free gear. One Aussie boy thought so, but he was very wrong, and a year later that issue is finally sorted out.

We do have some people on our Pro Purchase plan, but none of them were in Malaysia this year.

Two jumpers are dealers of ours, jumping the gear they bought BEFORE they were dealers.

The first ranked guy, Douggs, paid full price for his FLiK. Jimmy Freeman was second jumping a FOX. He must have bought this from someone else, because I don't see the purchase on his account in our books.

Good question, very pointed, and I'm pleased to be able to answer with facts. People are paying full price to jump our gear.

Karen
BR

Sorry Tom, both on the sponsorship issue and the mispelling of your name. Crap on my head!

K

Just curious - why no low jumps?

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

Just curious - why no low jumps?

My balls aren't big enough yet. ;) Of course when I started skydiving, I said I wouldn't be a swooper and while I'm currently not a bad ass swooper, I do swoop. So maybe my base philosophies will change. :)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

We give NO ONE free gear.

Ain't that the truth! I'm still living off hotdogs and PB&J after buying that last canopy.:|
My third BR canopy. (I'm I getting closer to free gear KT) ;)
"When it comes to BASE, I'll never give advice, only my opinion"

Well, I had to get used to NOT having B-12's and it wasn't a big deal. If someone can't get used to having B-12 snaps on their harness, then they got
no place base jumping yet. It just takes more brains than going to a movie.

Nothing against you tom, you do a great job posting, but we just don't need skydivig brain dead people coming into base.

:)

K,

Thanks for the info. Didn't mean to be pointy , it's just that your reply sounded so much like an advert I had to ask :)

B-12's - yuk - how about the cutaway handle for an alternative to getting the canopy away from you???? Its a lot easier to "operate than B12's.

Pin v Velcro - velcro is more consistant in terms of pull forces etc. In ideal conditions, pins require less pull force than velcro - but this is only relevant at ridiculously low altitudes. P/C deployment is a more important factor than pull force given that it is more variable.

Pins -> What about an oversized canopy messily packed into a container with short closing loops on a de-arched jumper falling on his/her left side on a LOW jump???? Velcro would be better here. I prefer pins but I make the assumption that I am competant enough to avoid the above scenario.

Also -

Beware of individual opinions. Many opinions on BASE boards come from people with limited or narrow experience or biased opinions. People's opinons on equipment are dependant on their experience (i.e. a jumper may have 20 jumps on a Fox in ideal conditions and think it is great. They may have 20 on a Blackjack in shitty conditions and think its crap). Gear is regional too (the Italians are Brento were all jumping Sorceror's a while ago - why? Because the first guy with gear chose this rig. Hence most of the later jumpers were sheepichly following a trend as opposed to choosing the best gear - it may have been the best gear but that is not why it was chosen).

Not every BASE canopy is the same. They have different aerofoils, line lengths, aspect ratios, flying characteristics, etc, etc. Different jumpers have varying styles of flying canopies that may be better suited to one type of canopy over another (i.e. each of us flare slightly differently). You have to consider wing loading, equipment configuration, and a million other variables before you could really answer the question "which canopy is the best".

It would be correct to say that "in average conditions an average jumper would find most BASE canopies satisfactory".

Jimmy Freeman was second jumping a FOX. He must have bought this from someone else, because I don't see the purchase on his account in our books.

Yeah something like that...;)
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

As far as bottom surface venting goes, I highly recommend it, even to beginning jumpers. In fact, low experience jumpers probably benefit more from Vtec than more experienced jumpers. Experienced jumpers are more likely quicker on the risers and are able to steer away quickly, whereas a newer jumper may not have such quick reflexes. In an off-heading opening situation acheiving full inflation and being able to steer your canopy away from the object is vital. Every nanosecond counts when you're flying towards that wall! Additionally, if you have trouble steering away and you're bouncing down the cliff face, the bottom skin inflation can keep your canopy inflated even without forward momentum. What's not to like about that?

what do you think about the backsurge-phenomenon that can occur with vented canopies? some say they wouldn't recommend a vented canopy to a beginner because of the risk of a backsurge.

back surge-phenomenon can occur w any canopy and has nothing w vents on the bottom skin! back surge is clearly the brake setting problem ( often combined with the wind) same goes about forward surge.
Robert Pecnik
[email protected]
www.phoenix-fly.com

That is a problem with some vented canopies but also with unvented canopies.

Ihave three different kinds of experience with three different kinds of canopies.

I had some problems on my Flik 293 in landings. Every time I tryed to land on really deep breakes. I fell backwords in a stall and we could clearly see that the vent-covers opened during the flare. This is a problem with the models of covers. The Troll Covers doesnt have that problem.

The other experience is with my VERY old Mojo 260 (I have more than 750 jumps on this one)
I have some problem with backsurge during opening and the canopie sometimes goes into a stall. This is probably a cause of my breaksetting on my new stearinglines in a combination with that my line-trim is very old and probably really bad. But I love that parachute so...

The third one is with a Black Jack 260. I jumped slider down and it ended up flying backwords on every jump. This is probablyy a cause of bad break setting. It wasnt made for me.
/Martin - Team Bautasten of Sweden