RyanofOZ

What was your first main?

Hey all,

I am an AFF newbie and am looking into getting a rig soon. I was just curious to see what everyones first main was, and if they thought it was a good or bad choice.

I am looking at either a sabre2, spectre, or safire2.

So...what did you first own??

RyanB|
Oz

My first main was a Fury 220 (all F111 seven cell). It was great for me at the time - 1990. I wouldn't recommend one to anyone who isn't real broke today; you're far better off flying something like the three you mentioned.

Other mains to consider include the Pilot and Triathlon, both from Aerodyne.

My first parachute was a 28ft double L, but I don't think you are going to want to jump one of those if you don't have to. The parachutes you listed are all good choices, but what is more important is the way you wing load it. Another good choice for people new to the sport who are on a budget would be an old style used Sabre. I have lots of jumps on Sabres, and they are a great canopy. Watch out for the occaisional quick opening though. I have never had a hard opening on a Sabre, but many people say they have. Another good main for a newbie might be a Triathlon. Very good openings, consistant landings, predictable handling.
I would be very cautious about what some people say you could handle in their estimation. Generally as a relative beginner you should not even consider loading your canopy more than 1:1. Even then you can get into real trouble real fast if you are not very aware of how high you are and what is going around you in the sky.
Another thing to condider is color. Most people select the colors of their parachute based on what they like. This is OK if the colors they like are highly visible in the sky and also on the ground. You want your canopy to be seen easily by people who are in the air with you, by people looking up from the ground, and by people looking for it after a cutaway. A friend of mine who had about 3000 jumps at the time cut away his Red and Black Stelletto 97, which landed in a corn field where the corn was only about 8 inches high. I happened to be the one who found it, but only because I actually stepped on it as we were searching. It was nearly invisible. My friend now jumps the brightest, ugliest colors he can find. I also jump very bright colors for the same reasons. Good luck, be careful, and welcome to the family!
If it comes easy, I'm automatically suspicious

I bought a basically brand new PD 170 (F111) for $200. PD was at my DZ and inspected it and told me if I didn't buy it they would. I kept that canopy for probably a year then I demoed a Sabre2 150 for less than 10 jumps and bought a Sabre2 135. Funny thing, when I first stepped down to the 135, I kept landing short of where I wanted to because I couldn't get the decent rate. Now, I've had the 135 for a little over a year and I'm needing a 120 because I don't come down fast enough.

Student canopies like a Fury 220: 35 jumps.
Then a Clipper 195: 10 jumps
Triathlon 160: about 200 jumps

Demo'd other canopies( spectre/ Lotus/ Stiletto) of various sizes.

Samurai136: last 450 jumps

Demo'd smaller Samurai and cross-braced canopies.

Triathlon, Spectre, or a Lotus are all good choices for a first canopy. Buy something used that's right for you now. Depending on how often you jump you may be ready to move on past your 'first' canopy in 300 jumps and invest in a brand new canopy.;):)
Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken