RyanofOZ

What was your first main?

Hi Ryan,
I coudn't resist....my first main was a T-10 round at Army Airborne School. Then I bought a surplus 28' round with a TU modification for heading control. then a Papillon (a popular round accuracy main from the 70's. All this time I used a 24 round reserve with a tri-vent mod that I used SIX TIMES. I had 500 jumps on rounds before my first square jump.
Now I jump a triathlon 160 (over 1000 jumps on it and love it!). I weigh in at about 200 lbs exit weight.
Hope you've enjoyed all this useless info!

My next canopy was not much better some say even worse, a Strato Flyer

Ooofff!!! The strato flyer was why I kept jumping a round for 500 jumps... It was the only square with a smaller pack volume, and it wasn't nearly as nice a canopy as my Starlite.

The first one I owned was a Starlite I bought when I had about 100 jumps. Jumped it for about 400 more, then finally got a Viking Superlite, then a Firefly.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

My first canopy was rainbow colored used PD 170! I was ten jumps wonder with own main canopy! I never jumped that one, sold it before I was off student status. Next one was brand new sabre 170, after that few different size (excelent canopy!!) Blue track sèrie Pro 140 and 120, three different size notorius express CRW canopies, one used PD 193 and now jedei 105

jussi
---Ubi est actio hic?---

PD 210 (1993), then Triathlon 190 and then a Diablo 150.

A couple of things to consider:

1) don't bite off more than you can chew for your 1st canopy. Be conservative on your wing loading. I've seen more than one jumper get in over their head (too fast, too soon) and end up hurting themselves with something that they just weren't ready (yet) to handle.

2) think used. That way the commitment isn't too great if, after mastering your first canopy, you want to downsize or go with something with a little more zip to it.

3) be sure to get a good solid grounding in packing whatever you buy. Different canopies have their own quirks for ensuring smooth, safe openings. Spend some time with more experienced jumpers who have the same type of canopy and ask LOTS of questions about what they've learned as the best way to get the sucker in the bag.

Blues,

Bob P.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

In the vein of interesting-old-stuff rather than what-should-a-newbie-buy:

My first main was a ParaFlite Titan, 265 sq. ft of F-111.

Still jump it from time to time in my 'spare old rig'. And I've got another Titan set up for Bridge Day BASE trips in the same container. The kids today just can't do that sort of thing with their gear.

First main I owned was a Raven II (220 square foot 7cell) Had that from jump 13 to 300

300-380 jumps did a bunch of jumps on a Esprit 120, and Stiletto 97.

Then I bought a Stiletto 120. Did about 400 on the ST120 and bought a ST107. I have about 2,000 jumps on an ST107.

Got a bunch of jumps on other stuff from X-braced 69 and 88, to airlocked 93-105, and 260 sized accuracy canopies.

If buying new, I get a Sabre 2, or Spectre. Used I would get a Sabre or Spectre .
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334