RyanofOZ

What was your first main?

the 1st main I bought was at 60 jumps, Sabre 1 150, loaded approx 1.24 (still jumpin it for wingsuit...)
now I have a saphire2 139 loaded 1.34 (got it at 240 jumps approx)

personnally going out of AFF I wouldn't recommend a sabre2 or saphire2, maybe more something like a Spectre, or better, a Silhouette, loaded around 1. Then you must take into consideration the level you think you have, the one your instructors (and conservative people) think you have, teh manufacturers recommendations and your budget. Just my 2 pennies, dont be over-confident. Many will say been there, seen it, some others won't be able to say it anymore...
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

Hummmm...lets see, what did I have.

When I was a student, I jumped my dad's Sabre 170.

After student status I had a Sabre 150 for about 25 - 50 jumps, then a 135 for about 150 jumps, then a Sabre2 120 for 70 jumps, and now my Stiletto 107 for the past 200 jumps which I LOVE.

I've also jumped a Crossfire2 99 and a Crossfire2 89 just for fun...But I'm still enjoying and learning a lot on my 107 too much to want to downsize again just yet.

I am looking at either a sabre2, spectre, or safire2.

All the canopies you are considering are great choices. As for which is better, that depends on your canopy flight preferences. 7-cells have steeper glide paths then 9-cells, simply put they sink faster. In my experience this allows you to hold closer to your target and be more accurate on landing. However, if you plan on loading your canopy over a 1:1 ratio I’d suggest the 9-cell. 9-cells can be far more forgiving on landing with much greater flare. When I bought my 7-cell I was loading it at 1.1:1 and it landed real nice. Then I left the Army for college, needless to say I quickly gained a natural arch and the flare went right out of my canopy.

I know its been said before but you can’t hear it enough demo several canopies and see what fits your flight style. I think the best advice for a first rig is…

Buy used… Buy big…

If you plan on making skydiving a fulltime hobby there will always be time to down size your gear later.

Hey all,

I am an AFF newbie and am looking into getting a rig soon. I was just curious to see what everyones first main was, and if they thought it was a good or bad choice.

So...what did you first own??

RyanB|

Stiletto 150

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Hey all,

I am an AFF newbie and am looking into getting a rig soon. I was just curious to see what everyones first main was, and if they thought it was a good or bad choice.

RyanB|

Stiletto 150

For a first main? How many jumps had you made? I thought those were for way down the road....
Oz

Hey all,

RyanB|

Stiletto 150

For a first main? How many jumps had you made?..

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

John, john, john, john.

You know trolling isn't nice. ;)

If you're going to make that statement, knowing it's gonna bring more flak, quantify it first. Like the fact that you were traing at SDC, on Ellipticals, while still a student. People tend to go "Oh, yea" instead of "What the fuck!" when you give up all the information.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

My first was a PD 230 9 cell, F111. Used (85 jumps) but in great shape. Great openings, easy to handle and it snatched me back from the "Jaws of Pain" on more than one occasion. Now jumping Sabre 2 190.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

I finally bought a Spectre 170 for my first main at about 75 jumps. The right set of gear had finally come along. I love it. Great canopy.

kristen
swooo #3 MB #3587 P.M.S. #66
"so let go, jump in...what're you waiting for? it's all right 'cause there's beauty in the breakdown"