taz9420

Aerodyne

I've just ordered the new Aerodyne container along with a Pilot 150 and Smart Reserve. Good Choice or Bad Move? All opinions welcomed.

Isn't that a question that you should have asked before you ordered?:P

I don't think you can go wrong ordering from any of the top manufacturer's. It's just a matter of preference and options to fit your needs and desires.

Congrats and enjoy.

Buyers regret??? nah. All reviews of the product have been positive. Just for giggles and laughs, sometimes I like to see what people say.
Your expertise on everything I've been involved with the sport have been right on. NO REGRETS. Thanks Gravity Girl.:)

Hope you enjoy your new rig.

I'm thinking of buying a Pilot - would be interested to hear of anyone's experience. I have heard that it is very similar to the hornet - as far as I know Aerodyne are a good company. Shame that PISA (Parachute Industries of South Africa) don't still manufacture it because it was a hell of a lot cheaper. I reckon a new system from Aerodyne comes at around $6500 and that is without Cypres.

I reckon a new system from Aerodyne comes at around $6500 and that is without Cypres.

i was just talking to someone this past weekend about this, and i guess aerodyne is putting together a kick ass deal if you buy a complete system from them (excluding the cypres) for like 3 grand.

later

yup i had the same deal offered to me complete system for like 2600 wel that is withought cypress but that's a "personal choice" type thing... i saw thire demos at eloy over christmas and jumped a pilot 124. i liked it. the turns were crisp and very responsive and there was lots of flare for me.. think the rep said the deal was going on untill the 31st of jan thrugh square 2. if i had the money i would do it but looks like my plans for a racer in feb/ march will have to do. i realy liked the container it was pretty comfortable.. didn't get to demo one of the reserves though.... i say congrats and enjoy the rig!! wish i could get one...

I called Square 1 and asked about the system and they verified that a complete system minus AAD is around $3400. I asked them to compare the flight characteristics of the Pilot to a Sabre2 and they said the two are very similiar.

I'd really like to get a new container right now--something that will take an AAD as my current container will not, nor can it be retrofitted to take one. It seems like the Icon gives you the most bang for your buck. A container with all the options is $1400. My problem is that I'm flying a Falcon 215 and I'm quite comfortable with it. I'll break 100 jumps in the next month, but I'm in no hurry to downsize. I'd just hate to buy a new container sized for my 215, but then not be able to use it when I downsize. I don't even know what I want to downsize to yet. I need to demo a Sabre and a Pilot and decide on something.

The Icon looked like a pretty nice system. I've got a brand-new Vector3 so I'm not in the market, but it looks like a solid choice. Like others have said, I don't think you can go too wrong with the top-tier manufacturers, it comes down to preference.

As for the Pilot, I've heard good things. My demo on the pilot didn't go so well, but the canopy was out of trim and had over-long brake lines, so it wasn't a fair test. I will probably demo another Pilot when I'm closer to getting a new canopy.

Haven't heard a lot of feedback on the Smart reserve, but if you do a search here, I'm sure you can find someone who rode one down already... ;)
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

As for the Pilot, I've heard good things. My demo on the pilot didn't go so well, but the canopy was out of trim and had over-long brake lines, so it wasn't a fair test. I will probably demo another Pilot when I'm closer to getting a new canopy.

Umm...are you serious? I'm truly shocked that a manufacturer would have a demo canopy that is out of trim...seems they would monitor that kind of stuff. To me it's inexcusable to be allowing jumpers to demo out of trim gear.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Umm...are you serious? I'm truly shocked that a manufacturer would have a demo canopy that is out of trim...seems

Every Icarus demo I've ever jumped was badly out of trim. I suspect a Saber2 I once demo'd was also in pretty bad shape, but I didn't measure it.

Sadly that is a common problem.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Umm...are you serious? I'm truly shocked that a manufacturer would have a demo canopy that is out of trim...seems they would monitor that kind of stuff. To me it's inexcusable to be allowing jumpers to demo out of trim gear.

i have seen a stilleto demo that had way too short brake lines, and the outter A lines being really short. everyone said they still flew fine, just bucked when they did a hook turn.

i had a comp cobalt some to me the same way, but it flew like shit and opened like shit. but i think that's a common thing with coblats (sorry the people who like them, but i just don't care for them)

later

It was brand new from the factory, and the brake lines were set WAAAY too long. It didn't even respond to input until my hands were below my shoulders. :S As you can imagine, the flare didn't go as well as originally planned. A well-timed PLF prevented any injury, although I did spend a good hour brushing the desert out of my rig. ;) In any case, I don't hold it against the design of the canopy.
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

I'm thinking of buying a Pilot - would be interested to hear of anyone's experience. I have heard that it is very similar to the hornet - as far as I know Aerodyne are a good company.

It's a great canopy, but I wouldn't compare it to the Hornet. The Hornet has/had a tendency to open hard frequently, and the Pilot opens like "warm ice cream" (I stole that quote!)

I reckon a new system from Aerodyne comes at around $6500 and that is without Cypres.

Don't know where you got that number, or if you're even talking about US dollars but the system from Aerodyne does not cost anywhere near that much.

The retail cost of a Pilot main, Smart reserve, and Icon container comes to $4197, and through the month of January if you hook up with certain dealers like this one you can get the same system for less than $3200. Screamin' deal if you ask me.

PM me for more info if you like.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I did a demo jump on the Smart 120. (I mean you can't sell something unless you've jumped it yourself, right.)

Awesome on the flare. Good glide, but you can sink it also. Flys like a Triathalon. IMHO.

The reinforcements are tough and it is TSOd to industry standards. I'ld jump one in my top tray any day.

And since JP snuck it in there, I know of another company in Nor Cal offering a great introductory offer for the month of January ;):)B|

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

All PD demos get inspected going between customers - and I know that goes for many other manufacturers as well.
It really wouldn't make sense for a manufacturer to send out gear that is in bad shape as demo canopies/containers, as that wouldn't give the customer a proper idea of what it's all about.

I can of course only speak for the PD gear, and I know it is maintained by a lady that has worked for us for many years, she has been through rigger training as she wanted to learn more about the gear - and that woman is nothing short of anal when it comes to our demo canopies - they are her babies.
If any one of you ever has an issue with demos, please contact the manufacturer right away - we want to know about it right away so we can help you get the most out of your demo experience!

Blue ones,
Kolla
Blue Skies Magazine

I don't know about the container. I was offered one at 50% off with options but went for a Mirage G4 staff deal. (40% off Base)
That desision cost me about $400 more for fewer options but I think it was worth it getting a known quantity.

The Pilot's I've seen at our DZ are by far the most stable canopy I've ever seen, and the openings are really really consistant. Generally I'd consider it "boring" which is why it's my 1st choice for a Birdman rig I'll be building this year.

The Smart is new. I suspect it's an evolution of the Tempo - which has performed well for me on several occasions over the years. If pressed to buy a reserve right now, I'd probably go for a PD-R over a Smart, for the same reasons I chose a more proven harness.

In all probability, your gear will perform well. We get pickier as we get older. I've had my share of being on the "bleeding edge" of skydiving technology in the past, having jumped Nova's in the year they killed a bunch of people, and bought a Jonathan before I found out each one was different and that poor records were kept of line trims, etc. making them near impossible to maintain.

Good luck,

t
It's the year of the Pig.

To Aerodyne or Not To.

A few months back I was able to jump both the 168 Pilot and the 148 Vision, and was super impressed with the products, I only did a handful of jumps on each over two weekends of jumping.

Thiago from Aerodyne came to our DZ with his Icon Harness, and I was sold, there are some real neat design elements and safety aspects that I like.

If you go to the Aerodyne website and take a look at the company profile, you'll see a who's who of the skydiving equipment manufacturing scene. Aerodyne has enlisted the talents of some of the top guys out there, so you'll be certain that any product is 100% - and with the reliable background PISA as, you'll be sure of quality of workmanship.

Over the December period, Aerodyne sent three systems to the boogie I was at, there was a 117 Amax, 132 Vision, and a 168 Pilot (the Aerodyne guy took the rig for the 168 Pilot back as he was unhappy with a certain aspect of it) three jumpers demo'd the 168 Pilot and has nothing up good reveiws. Some found it a bit faster than there normal 170 canopy.

I was lucky enough to jump the 132 Vision in the Icon Harness for most of the boogie and was so impressed I have ordered my full system already, the harness fits great, packs easy, and is both free fly and FS friendly. Four other jumpers made use of the demo and were happy with both the harness and the main.

The Amax 117 - was jumped by a few who like the faster more radical side of life, and once we had mastered the packing, had a blast under canopy, two of those were in the market to buy a new canopy, and are now looking into the Amax.

Our DZ's TM has been jumping the new Gemini (Tandem Canopy) and is also happy with the product.

All in all the reveiws have been good, the openings consistent, the product solid.

I doubt anybody should worry about the products lack of track record, the guys behind it speak for themselves.

Well done to Aerodyne - look forward to the future developments.

Better never to have met you in my dream than to wake and reach for hands that are not there.

Im never the first on the block with a new toy...

While I am sure they are good pieces of equipment, I don't buy gear till it has been around about two years.

All the issues come out in two years.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334