Faber

Pythagorean Theorem- tool

Why bother with measuring c? When you're looking at the top at a 45° angle, a and b are equal...(for example, when you're looking at the top of an A at a 45° degree angle, the distance to its base is the same as its height)
Or does this have another use that I can not grasp with my yet-untainted-by-BASE mind?

If you have a laser rangefinder and measure the distance to the base of the object (A) and to the top(C), you can figure the actual height of the object (B).

Derek

I believe that was what was done in this case Hook.

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

>:(
damnit,it DONT work,i just climbed the object,that should be 74 yards/223ft,my alti watch said it only were 220ft>:(
nice climb up,just as nice as the climb down:ph34r::D

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I should have clarified it is easier to measure A and C to figure B than it is to measure A at a point exactly 45-degrees from the top of height B. How would you figure a 45-degree angle exactly?

Also, you can measure the height of an A from the top without any math simply by pointing the rangefinder straight down. But if you at the bottom and need to use a rangefinder to find the height, the Pythagorean theorem is the easiest way to do it.

My first post was in response to:

Why bother with measuring c? When you're looking at the top at a 45° angle, a and b are equal...(for example, when you're looking at the top of an A at a 45° degree angle, the distance to its base is the same as its height)
Or does this have another use that I can not grasp with my yet-untainted-by-BASE mind?

Derek

if you know the distance to A, you can use an electronic clinometer to measure the height at different places on an object, without doing any calculations.

I thought of a laser rangefinder for measuring c too, but then thought a plastic ruler for determining the 45° angle would probably be somewhat cheaper...:P If you have the laser gadget, more power to you.

if you know the distance to A, you can use an electronic clinometer to measure the height at different places on an object, without doing any calculations.

i would say that it need more than just 1 distance. Never heard of a electronic clinometer ,but im sure it use the same formel:P

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

thought a plastic ruler for determining the 45° angle would probably be somewhat cheaper...

you would still need to messure from the point your stands(45degree place)and into the object...
a Laser cost aprox 220$if i rember correct,guess what the next toolim gonna buy(thanks BASE813 i love your laserB| )

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Duh! So it's all about using complicated gadgets to make your life easier...I can relate. Knowing myself, I'll probably get a rangefinder as soon as I start jumping just to verify the height of the already verified "newbie" objects.:)Now excuse me while I go talk of stuff I actually know something about...

I go talk of stuff I actually know something about...

No worryes,not long time ago i didnt knew either;):P thats the reason for this board,to learn from.

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Right, but I think this was based on having a rangefinder and wanting to know the height of an object.

Derek

I thought of a laser rangefinder for measuring c too, but then thought a plastic ruler for determining the 45° angle would probably be somewhat cheaper... If you have the laser gadget, more power to you.

But you would still need an accurate way to measure the distance to the base of the object.

A rangefinder and a little math is also very accurate.

Derek

why dont you climb up to the exit point and laser it down to the ground leaning over the edge? That way you don't have to fuck around with math before you jump! :D Or is there something wrong with doing it that way?

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

why dont you climb up to the exit point and laser it down to the ground leaning over the edge? That way you don't have to fuck around with math before you jump! Or is there something wrong with doing it that way?

A building, high profile, or secured site may not allow for that.

Derek

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

why dont you climb up to the exit point and laser it down to the ground leaning over the edge? That way you don't have to fuck around with math before you jump! Or is there something wrong with doing it that way?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A building, high profile, or secured site may not allow for that.

In this case it were a chimney,in one of Dk´s biggest cityes,which looked doabele,but not sure,it isnt an easy climb so i laserede it first to estimate the high(223ft in this case),then as it went dark(total)i climbed it to have a look at the exit point,which looked like sh#t from the ground,and looked the same in the top.im sure it can be done,by a more experienced jumper than me or as i get my nerves down..ha ha one scarry object..B|

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

>:(
damnit,it DONT work,i just climbed the object,that should be 74 yards/223ft,my alti watch said it only were 220ft>:(
nice climb up,just as nice as the climb down:ph34r::D

Maybe get Mac to climb it? If he has to stop 3 times for a rest period, it may be above 200 feet. I don't know. You know how much of a lazy boy he is. And how often he has to rest. So maybe something like if he rests every 50 feet, and has to rest 5 times before the top, you know it is at least 250 feet.
Joking Mac, and in good spirits. Just trying to have fun with #850.
Faber, don't cut it that close. If you can't eyeball it, maybe there isn't enough of a safety factor?
Just my .02
Thomas

:D:ph34r:
Hi Thomas,fact is that im as lazy as Mac is,and im too lazy to count how many sests i took on the way,but 50ft is the usual i do:ph34r::D,so evry thing whith more that 4 breaks can be jumped:o

As said in the post before,im not ready for this jump yet,but im sure i will do it as its 10mins of walk from my homeB|just need to talk to some people first to figure out some thing such as how it should work at the top as i cant unwear the rig at the top,and im not sure i want to climb it whith open pin flap.even if 2 jumpers were up there,there wouldnt be room so they could help each otherB|

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Aren't most ladder rungs 12", or 1 ft apart? If you count how many ladder rungs there are within the red-white colors, you can figure out how the A is painted, like 75' per section, 8 colors, etc...?
---------------
Peter
BASE - The Ultimate Victimless Crime

Aren't most ladder rungs 12", or 1 ft apart? If you count how many ladder rungs there are within the red-white colors, you can figure out how the A is painted, like 75' per section, 8 colors, etc...?

Why would rungs in a metric country be 12 inches apart? I would think it more likely that they would be spaced by some measurement in centimeters (or fractional meters).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

you can figure out how the A is painted, like 75' per section, 8 colors, etc...?

i would NEVER use that metode,i rather use my altiwatch then.most objects i jump,cant take a "small"misjugedment.I only tryed this once and will never tollerate it to hapen again.B|>:(If i cant messure it proberly,atleast just before the exit,then im not jumping it,that simpel.

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Why would rungs in a metric country be 12 inches apart? I would think it more likely that they would be spaced by some measurement in centimeters (or fractional meters).

I work in oil refinery and all technical measurements of pipes or similar stuff are in ". We don't use cms. Probably because it is USA oil rafinery that was bought some time ago.

About ladder rungs, I climb them pretty often on my work, and last night as I was climbing smokestack I found out that space between rugs was smaller than on ladders that are on my work.

I.P.

In my experience there is no way you can count on a set distance of 12" between rungs.

Did a quick check at the department library, I am currelntly stationed at a nuclear powerplant and we do use a bit of such things, and the width varies in 3 different catalogues between 10 - 11" (260 - 280 mm).

Might make a difference, since I don't do BASE I can't really tell.

My .02 anyway.

i would say that it need more than just 1 distance.

The laser I know of is made for measuring both distances and heights, so it´s a combined laser-clinometer device.

That way the device can check the angle between a and c with the clinometer, at the same time as the laser finds out distance c. Then it´s just simple trigonometry for the software to do.

So only by pointing the laser to the top of the object, I get the height of the object on the display.

Since I don´t need distance a, it doesn´t matter if the object is perpendicular to the ground, or if it´s underhung or overhung.
Another good thing about not needing to measure distance a: Near the ground there can be things like trees and big rocks between me and the object, making it impossible to use the laser to find out that distance.

There are lots of things out there for people with too much money...