freefal

What's your most surreal BASE jump story?

Ok, Kramer's request for "What's your scariest base jump story" is appropriate for Halloween and everything but it got me wondering about other experiences. In the same vein as Kramer’s request, I’m curious as to what your most surreal jump story is. That time when you had to stop and take it all in because it finally hit you how perfectly simple the concept of BASE is or when you suddenly realized why you really jump in the first place.

I know mine was when I looked down from about 400’ up our local tower at my pregnant wife, who was driving the getaway car. I was all set to jump but I stopped and looked at her then turned to my buddy standing next to me and we just smiled. The whole moment would probably seem completely absurd to someone else, but to us it just made sense and seemed like a mini celebration of life.

I know some of you have been to wild places and made some terrific jumps so let's here it. It's starting get cold here in the midwest so my jumping is slowing down a bit and I need to get some adrenaline flowing somehow! :)
Freefal
BASE 837

"Ignorance is bliss" and "Patience is a virtue"... So if you're stupid and don't mind waiting around for a while, I guess you can have a pretty good life!

Listening to the Sheriff on his vehicle PA system yell "people on the antenna, start climbing DOWN now!", as we approached the 500' level of an antenna, all of us packed slider up....

Hell yeah we jumped! It's a long story....
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

very first tower jump...gripped out of my mind... dark, cold, snow on the ground... as I step off and start freefalling I hear my mentor, still on the exit point, whisper "yeah brotha, life is good." Surreal????? To me it was and I haven't forgotten that moment... It all kind of made sense... if only for a split second.

One of my most memorable moments was climbing an antenna through 3-400' of solid fog. It was so foggy that even at 4-5 am I drove past the tower a couple of times before finding it - couldn't see the strobes through the fog! Anyway, even though it was a warm night the fog was condensing on the steel tower and inside the structure it seemed to be pouring all the way through the fog... When I got to the top at 750' I just sat in the sunshine looking at the blue skies... The only visible man=made object I could see was the tower I was on with it's guide wires disappearing into nothingness and another couple of towers poking up through the cloud a few miles away... It was amazingly peaceful on that Sunday morning...

As an aside. the wind dictated that I jump away from the road, and I had not done any scouting to see what was on that side of the tower... I was open just at the top of the fog and with the wind was able to turn back towards the tower and just do slow s-turns while flying towards it without advancing... All I could see was the tower and guide wires as I did slow sashays between them disappearing into the fog above and below me - it was my only reference that I wasn't the only thing in the world on an endless flight. As I got closer to the ground I could see the tops of trees appearing but had no way to judge their height - fortunately the were no more then 10 feet high and sparse so I landed between them, picked up the chute and set off back to road... My ground crew's only clue I had jumped was the sound of my chute opening, and of course she couldn't see me, so she was freakin' out a bit wonderin' where I'd ended up...

And Jason, I got one of them stories too - I can still see the flashing lights pulling out from a drive down the road when Joe yelled up 'You guys better jump now before those cops come back. After Steve went I figured they didn't realize there was two of us (he'd started climbing before me, when it was still light out) I can still hear the cops "Your buddies tell us there's someone named Rob up there. You want to come on down and we'll have a little chat with you too!"

Of course I jumped! Flew between the wires over to the cop car too... $80 (Cdn. no less!), no court appearance...

Skypuppy BASE92
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

We have time ;)
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Hell yeah, that's what I'm talking bout... let's hear some more stories like this one, where you were spotted, and how you were able to bullshit your way out of it, or didn't bullshit your way out, and you had to face the man. Were you body slammed to the ground, whipped with his night stick, sprayed with mace? Or did he say,"Cool dude" now don't do it again?

Let's hear it.:)
Rod

Jason,
I think I've heard that story from someone else who was on the load. If it's the same one I'm thinking of then that's one of the best "No sh1t, there I was" tales I've probably ever heard.

BASE 837
Donk anD BoneZ

"Ignorance is bliss" and "Patience is a virtue"... So if you're stupid and don't mind waiting around for a while, I guess you can have a pretty good life!

Definitely not my most surreal story, but it sure was at the time. It was my 23rd jump...

So we arrive at the bottom of the ravine at 7:50. Ok...so we are only 30 minutes behind schedule...no big deal, right?

I grab my stash bag just as Steven is shutting the Van door and we're off. The arduous hike begins - difficult due to the fact that we are behind schedule and must now run up this 750ft high hill.

20 minutes later we are standing beneath the steel, sweat pouring down our faces. Steven grabs my shoulder and informs me that we have company. I look up and see a lone jumper climbing up the structure. Oh good...it's M____, a highly experienced jumper from S___ _____. Without resting, we start climbing up the steel too. I've always hated this part - it's actually scarier than the jump itself.

Safe on the catwalk, I give M____ a pat on the back and a silent hello. Daylight is waning, so there is no time to waste. We gear up and give each other a quick gear check. M____ informs us that he is going to jump from the catwalk...his pack job is not rigged for a jump as low as the pillar. We walk the steel grate and I give M____ a quick salute as Steven and I began climbing down the 200ft ladder that leads to the top of the concrete pillar. The tension builds quite rapidly, and I grumble about the fact that I'm climbing down an object, intentionally bringing myself to a lower exit altitude.

Just as I reach the top of the pillar, I hear a body go into freefall. I look up just in time to catch M____’s deployment. It's on-heading and he lands safely in the small clearing below.

Steven has already selected the side that we are going to exit from. There's no time to waste so I take out my pilot-chute and fold it up into my sweaty hand. I look over the rail and I freeze. What I see sends a chill down my spine.

The ground is not abstract, it's very real and defined. Large pine trees rise up and make the 396ft jump seem more like a 200ft leap of faith. All of this is compounded by a tricky exit point. It's a 4 inch wide rail that you have to hoist yourself onto. My right leg starts shaking and I command it to stop, but it doesn't listen.

I pull myself up and place both feet on the rail - I'm still hunched over, trying to gain balance before attempting to stand up on my thin perch. As I slowly and carefully stand-up, I am dizzy with vertigo.
Steven places his hands on my legs to give me a sense of balance. My right leg is really shaking now - but I know that I am ready…

3..2..1..C-ya!

As my feet leave the railing, it's complete and total sensory overload. I wait one second and pitch the pilot chute vigorously to the side. Time has slowed to an unbelievable pace. My brain is processing information in nanoseconds, providing me with some of the greatest visuals I have ever experienced.

I am now freefalling toward the trees - I feel as if I am going to crash right into the top of them as my Mojo leaves my back. WHAM! Another perfect on-heading opening. I release the brakes and turn the canopy 180 degrees as my feet seemingly graze the tops of the trees. I come out of the turn and flare to a tip-toe landing in a clearing the size of a small house.

It has been a handful of seconds since I jumped, and I am already on the ground. I began laughing hysterically as Steven comes in for a perfect landing. We exchange high-fives as we throw the gear into our stash bags and run down the trail to the bottom of the ravine.

Darkness completely settles in as we reach the Van. I look back up and realize that we just made it roundtrip in only 35 minutes. I shake my head in disbelief as Steven starts the Van and we drive off into the night…

"We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." T.S. Elliot

Hm... this story is not the most surreal but funny;)

....One day I've climb alone on antenna near the town. Then I came up on the second floor I've seen two teenagers there -- boy and girl.:$
They were naked, relaxed and happy.:$
I hadn't words to say them anythink and said just "Hello!".
They turned to me and asked "Wanna jump, baby? Good luck!...or stay with us if you want." :)After that they continied theirs movements.

Felt myself very funny I began to climb up and made a jump several minytes later.
Then I was on the ground again and went back to road, I seen them climbed down.

They were not the basejumpers or skydivers.:)
Between two evils always pick theone never tried

Being under canopy after a nice freefall from a 270ft E and seeing a guy who had decided to take a day naked fishing running for his underpants as he never expected an aerial delivery of 2 guys and a Danish Mincer wearing a pink hat!...................

Having coffee made for you by the security guard whilst you are kitting up in his office before he lets you into a nice never jumped before secure object!

Hiding on top of a power tower as a small private aeroplane flies past close – and then realising he is being more illegal as he is flying under the power cables for a laugh.

Having your mate sat on the edge calling you over for what you think is a bridle and pin check only to say “your sister has a hairy arse” and leaving the object - cause he fucked her the night before………..

About to leave the object on 3-2-1 and having your mate fart a long loud multi tone arse biscuit for you to sit back down and compose your self after fits of giggles and to laugh in freefall – even in the face of terror farts ARE funny!

Running from a B canopy in hand etc to be faced with a drunk guy who double checks you, shrugs his shoulders and walks on…………

Arriving in France and sitting in a park with tramps sharing a beer and smoke before making your way to the first object……… you have never experienced a countries culture until you have drunk with their tramps!

………..to be honest many many times you will have something happen that’s surreal!!

It’s fucking great!!
B|

Being under canopy after a nice freefall from a 270ft E and seeing a guy who had decided to take a day naked fishing running for his underpants as he never expected an aerial delivery of 2 guys and a Danish Mincer wearing a pink hat!...................

Having coffee made for you by the security guard whilst you are kitting up in his office before he lets you into a nice never jumped before secure object!

Ha Ha i rember thouse...

As i started jumping my local A,i were invited for a BBQ and beer by some neighbour johovas:o:S:ph34r::D,actualy they has helped me 2 times as the guy off the house has warned me about a securety guard near the towerB|
I have a nice Christmast gift to them this year...I has taken pics of their house/feilds in all seassons,only need some snow to make it perfect..I know they will love it as the man of the house once asked me if i one day could take a pic for him;):P

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

The Epic Disaster
----------------------
The alarm on my watch sounded at 3:30am and stirred all that slept on that eventful morning. I slowly opened my eyes and just as my senses adjusted to the surroundings, I heard the dreaded sound of raindrops on the rooftop of the van. We knew that the weather forecast was not the most suitable for an early morning BASE jump from a 1200' antenna in the Ohio backcountry, but Steve was in town and Joe had been trying to get his "A" for years now. It seems as if most disasters start out this way - first by rationalizing why you should do it, and then by justifying why you did it. This was to be a momentous jump for all on the load, and by the end of the day, none of us ever could have ever imagined the outcome.

Steve had lost one of his legs due to cancer in his teenage years, which would make this antenna jump a special one for him. He had jumped at Bridge Day last year and then at the Perrine during a BASE jumping instructional course. His accuracy was impeccable and I knew he would be able to safely perform the rigorous climb to the antenna top. I was excited just thinking about how he would pull himself up each ladder rung.

Joe and I had climbed our first antenna in 1994 only to be turned away due to winds blowing straight down the guy wires. After being away from BASE jumping for several years, Joe seemed determined to jump this antenna and he happily drove six hours to meet us at the site. He had recently experienced similar weather disappointments while climbing other antennas, so the thought of jumping a tall antenna in the middle of nowhere seemed promising. Besides, the antenna rested on the land of people who had given us verbal permission to jump several years prior.

After hearing the rain, we continued to sleep for several more hours with hopes that the weather would clear. By the time we awoke, blue skies were beginning to appear in the distance. Despite the late effort, we decided to attempt the early morning ascent and jump. Time seemed to drag along slowly and we hadn't even reached the base of the antenna until 8:00am. Even though it was getting late, we knew we had permission to jump and we continued on. Since this was the first antenna jump for two of the three on the load, gearing up and preparing for the climb took longer than expected. Steve was busy preparing his safety lines, as he would have to clip a caribeaner to the ladder rungs during rest periods. Joe and I were trying to capture some ground video before we started to climb. You could almost smell the adrenaline in the air.

As with all antennas, the first 100' is typically easy until fatigue sets in. Steve's climbing was slow but steady as he leapt up each rung and rested between ascents. He was using his upper body strength to climb while neatly placing his only foot on the narrow ladder rung after each hop. The antenna shook with each hop on the ladder rungs, which caused a small amount of concern to me early on.

Everything seemed peaceful as we climbed past the 300' mark. A few minutes later, the landowners came outside and starred at us from below. I sensed that we were somehow intruding and asked our ground crew to talk to them to see if our jumping was still welcome. When the ground crew spoke with her, she exclaimed, "you all are trespassing...you're not allowed up there!". Then she hastily ran back inside her house.

I was quite surprised that her opinion of our jumping had changed so quickly. I mentioned to Joe and Steve that we should either race to the 700' level and quickly jump or just climb down, because she might be upset enough to call the authorities. Steve quickly rationalized that it would take him more effort to climb down at this point, so we continued on with our slow, but sure, progress. Deep down inside, I knew that we needed to get off this antenna one way or another, but I couldn't leave my friends. I knew that I could have climbed quickly to a safe altitude and jumped, but leaving them behind on their first antenna jump was not an option. I quickly climbed to 700' in order to rest on a small ledge and keep an eye out for further trouble when I noticed a police car circling around the antenna. He pulled up near the antenna base and began a short conversation with the landowner. Immediately, visions of Rich S. telling me about a similar incident flooded my brain. Rich had once told me to take a short delay and fly as far away from the antenna as possible if I ever encountered a situation such as this. By this time, I had already performed the normal fifteen self-pilot chute checks and was ready to leap if necessary. Just then, the police officer shouted at us on his bullhorn, "this is the Clay County Sheriff...you are trespassing...come down from the tower immediately!”. We knew this was for real and I quickly dispersed our ground crew to the van. I rationed that if we jump, the sheriff would immediately drive to our van to await our arrival.

Joe and Steve were still at the 530' level, far below me, so we had to communicate via radio to decide what to do next. I began to sweat at the thought of getting arrested on an antenna that we had permission to jump. Would my argument that we'd received verbal permission in the past hold up in court? I decided not to find out and informed Joe and Steve that we should all jump. Besides, it didn't matter how we got down, as the crime had already apparently been committed. The sheriff shouted up at us again, "jumpers on the tower, start coming down immediately!". I slowly made my way down the ladder as our ground crew was just reaching the van. I wanted to wait until they could make it out of the area so we could meet at a prearranged location two miles away in two hours time. As I approached Steve, I noticed that Joe was understandably nervous about trying to outrun the authorities. I rationed that jumping down was safer than climbing down and if the sheriff chose to pursue us, then we would not run. Steve was meticulously preparing his handheld pilot chute, to which I promptly whispered to him, “Dude, now might be a good time to learn to go stowed”. Since we were all packed slider up, we knew a jump from 530' would be seriously pushing the limits for this tower jump. We had no choice but to jump.

I agreed to land close to the tower and sheriff in order to pick up Steve's crutches. My feet hastily pushed off the small railing with the only fear that I was coming closer to the sheriff. My canopy seemed to take forever to open with the low airspeed and I pumped the brakes during opening to get full inflation. Of course, after I landed close to the tower, my canopy suddenly decided to fall upwind into a fence I had carefully avoided thus far. I wondered what else could go wrong as I made my way to the tangled mess. The sheriff was only a few hundred yards away over a small hill. After several nervous seconds of carefully plucking out what fabric I could reach, I decided time wasn't on my side and I ripped the remaining portions of my canopy from the fence. I grabbed Steve's crutches, threw my gear on my back, and ran to the area where Steve and Joe were planning to land far from the antenna. Joe went next and had a 180 off-heading opening, but quickly turned it around while coming only a few feet from a guy wire. Steve then jumped and landed uneventfully near the woods next to Joe. With no sight of the sheriff, all three of us ran deep into the woods. Little did we know that thoughts of a successful escape were soon to be questioned.

The woods were thick and hot. Insects and spider webs quickly found their way onto every part of our bodies as we attempted to hike away from the antenna. At times, we would all stop in silence and listen for sounds of barking dogs or people following us. It seemed like a scene right out of a movie, complete with sweat, adrenaline, and fear. We thought Steve might have a difficult time carrying his gear and hiking through the woods, so we took turns carrying his stash bag. He could have easily carried it himself, but it made things a little quicker for all of us. Steve had done some amazing things in the past with only one leg, such as climbing Half Dome in Yosemite National Park and surviving a plane crash several years ago, and here we are urging him to give up his gear. Offering assistance only made Joe and I feel a little strange.

After an hour and a half, we had only made it less than a mile from the antenna. Progress was very slow in this untamed land. It has been some time since the jump and we rationed that the sheriff had probably given up by now. Just then, a faint voice on the radio sent a chill down my spine. It was our ground crew and van driver. She told us that the sheriff had caught up to her and we must all turn ourselves in immediately. Until that point in time, everything we had done to escape was perfect. It was very disappointing to realize that we would eventually have to turn ourselves in, especially since they now had our driver and my van in their possession. Steve and Joe decided it was time to meet the sheriff. I, however, could not accept the fact that I would have to turn myself in. I wondered off into the deep of the woods to think of the ramifications of my future actions and to find out from the others of the consequences. Could I lose my job (I had a government security clearance), my house, or more? I became upset at the whole sport of BASE jumping and the fact that we have to sneak around just to live our dreams and jump. My brain was flooded with emotions. I sat down in the middle of a grassy field and rested.

Steve and Joe found their way to the nearest road and were eventually driven to the sheriff by a local neighbor who had heard of the manhunt. They were told we would be fined $89 each for a misdemeanor trespassing charge and released, only if I turned myself in also. In situations such as this, it is easy to think only of yourself. I could have made my way from the antenna to safety, but I would also be leaving my friends and van. Deep down inside, I knew that I would have to turn myself in, but I wanted to think things through before doing so. Minutes turned into hours as I sat in the field listening on the radio to the other jumpers' pleas for me to give up my location. I did not respond. Why aren't people more understanding to the calling of a BASE jumper to a tall antenna? What is it that drives us to sometimes break the law and risk our lives for a quick adrenaline rush? What harm had we done to the antenna in the process of living our dreams? Why do they cheer when we jump in Europe, but arrest us when we do so here in the USA?

I made my way to the nearest road, stashed my gear, and began walking. A quick call on the radio, providing my location, sent a deputy after me. Before I knew it, I was resting comfortably in the backseat of a police car (hey, case of beer!). At first, I tried the silent treatment, which didn't go over very well with the deputy. Once we reached the others, we were immediately informed that we would be arrested, taken downtown for booking, and we would have to appear in court three days later. Our stomachs began to twist worse than a line-over malfunction. I knew that cops worked in this manner in order to catch their man, often sugar-coating the real punishment. It was now my turn to tell our side of the story.

I quickly informed them that we were previously given verbal permission to jump and the sheriff acknowledged that he was also told this by the land owner. He noted that the land owner did not own the antenna and we were misinformed. We also explained why we chose to jump and rationed that our quickest way to turn ourselves in was through the woods to the nearest road. When told of how an arrest would affect all of our jobs, the officers met once again privately to decide our fate. I was asked to provide a business card proving my government employment. I frantically searched my wallet and eventually found one resting in an unfamiliar rear pocket. The officers then exclaimed, "since you were provided verbal permission to jump and your jobs could be lost as the result of an arrest, you are free to go". Silent cheers could be heard amongst our group. We all jumped in the van, peering back at the antenna with a grin as it faded into the horizon.

Several miles down the road, we began to talk about what happened in the last six hours. The jump had developed a special bond between the three of us that we'll share for a lifetime. Steve and Joe will surely remember their trip to Ohio and their first "A". When I look back at that mysterious day, I remember that I learned three important things. The first lesson was to always trust your instincts. If it just doesn't feel right, don't jump. There will always be another day. The second lesson was that the truth always produces a better outcome. Both officers began to understand our passion for jumping and why we were on the antenna to begin with once we truthfully explained the situation. The third lesson is that for us to continue to enjoy our sport, we all need to fight to maintain currently legal sites and to open up new sites. This can successfully be done with the help of the CJAA guidelines and every BASE jumper's support.

And a promise is a promise. I sent both officers a copy of my BASE jumping video shortly after this epic disaster.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

Cool story for a Monday morning read over coffee. ;)

Thanks Jason

Just goes to show you, some people can fall in dog shit and get up smelling like roses.:P

Cya (but not at that A)

Rod

I put down the cameras shortly after the Sheriff got on the loudspeaker....can ya blame me?

The video I sent the cops was FIXED2!.

Amazing... can we have a look at the video?? ;)

Awesome story, thanks, I was quite bored sitting here at the "office."

.-.

Well, I'm not sure if this is my most surreal, but it is the story of an image that will forever be ingrained in my mind. It is the story of my first ever jump from a construction crane.

I remember a couple of years ago hearing about a new condo project that had been approved for our fair city. 33 stories of luxury condominiums - first thought, that's gotta be high enough! And it just happens to be about a 3 minute walk from where I work.

I remember seeing the billboard go up with the rendering of what it would look like. And I remember sitting around for months - and months - waiting for the sales to go briskly enough to start the building process. And I remember the excitement the day they broke ground - all those people there, with all that equipment, and their dreams and visions of what this building would be.

And there's little old me walking by, with my own dreams and visions of what this would be to me.

As time goes on, they put in the foundation, and the first few floors. Then one day, I get a phone call from a fellow jumper. "Guess what I am watching right now - they are putting up the crane!" It wasn't very tall at first - at least not into my comfort zone of altitude. (I'm sure there's an Aussie somewhere that would have jumped it!). But that's okay, because eventually it will be tall enough for me. Again, time goes on, and the building rises. It seems to be growing quickly, and soon the construction crane gets raised. Higher, but still a ways to go yet. Another few weeks, and it gets raised again. Now I'll bet it's high enough. Now it's time for me to seriously consider this thing.

I've done dozens of walks around the site. I know it quite well by now - it's been over a year since I first stood at this spot and looked up at nothing, wondering where my exit point will be! But now there is a structure. Now I must contemplate how to get in, and how to get up there. I think about it as the weeks go by. I plan to go one night, but none of the friends I jump with want to go with me. I wait, and delay, sometimes for one reason, sometimes for another. A great weather night, and friends from work convince me to go out drinking. Another great weather night, and I can't arrange ground crew. It keeps getting put off.

Then one day as I drive in to work, I notice it - from much further away this time. Wow - they've raised the crane again. Probably another 50 to 60 feet of altitude. A gift - maybe this is why my previous plans were thwarted. Now, I can wait no longer. The decision is made - first good weather night, I am going. I didn't have to wait long.

The night comes - winds at 4 knots in the perfect direction. Full moon, clear skies. I call up the two guys that I normally jump with. One is exhausted from working constant overtime shifts. As he lives a half hour away, he didn't even want to make the drive. The other says it's not for him. For his own reasons, he doesn't think he wants to jump this crane. That's personal, that's his choice. But he says if I'm going, he'll definitely ground crew for me. So I guess it's just me and the crane.

We meet at my work place and head out for a drive by. Then it's off for a quick bite to eat, to talk about the plan, and to wait. It's still too early in the evening. Once we are done, we drive by again to have a look. Then it's back to my workplace to get my gear. We head back to the crane, park the car, and start to walk. We get to my nice secluded point of entry, under the fence, scramble up the little hill, and I'm in. Now where's that stairwell?

Some 30 or so floors later, I am out on the roof. Damn, what a view. I can see the lights of downtown just a short distance away. I can see airplanes coming in to land at the airport on the other side of the city. I go to the edge, and survey my landing areas from above. I should be able to make the park. It'll be a tight approach, but at least I'll be landing outside the construction site, and don't have to worry about fences. If not, well, I land inside and there's one spot I can get under the fence if I have to.

Then my ground crew radios up - "We've got a situation down here, stand by" One minute, Two minutes, three minutes, five minutes, ten minutes. Finally I can't stand the silence. "What's going on down there?" Well, it turns out that the security guard shift change happened to be right then, and the new guys decided to sit there with the door of the security shack open. Well, they might hear, but probably won't see, so I think I'm still a go.

I climb back down a couple of floors to where I can cross over to the crane. I gear up and get ready to go. Another ground crew hold. One of the two guys in the security shack came out, and started to walk over to the building I am now in. After it seems like an eternity, my ground crew spots him on the third floor - putting up some drywall. It's after midnight! And the guy is putting up drywall. Oh well, I'm still a go.

I walk over to the short catwalk which will take me from the relative darkness inside the building to the blinding light of the spotlights on the crane. You see, at the top of the vertical section of the crane, directly below the boom, are four massively huge spotlights. The kind of super heated lights that you could fry up a chicken on. It's nice - because they will light up my landing area very well. Add this to the full moon, and I've got great visibility. The only problem is, they will also light up me as I climb the last 80 feet or so of the crane until I can get out onto the boom. I've got no choice but to climb fast. So over I go. Out of the building and onto the crane. The crane that I had envisioned over a year ago. The crane that I have watched grow from nothingness into this beautiful object that I am about to hurl myself off.

On this night, it is my crane.

I climb as fast as I can (which isn't all that fast) I get right to the top, just below the boom. I am finally out of the light from the spotlights. But now I am below a grate which is locked. I can't get out to the boom. And I can't bypass the lock. I could climb out and around the gear and motor section of the crane, but after contemplating that for a little while, I decide that will terrify me too much! So here, in my tiny little section of no more than 10 feet of darkness, I try and come up with a different plan. So I wait, and I think.

About 20 feet below me, there is a very small catwalk on the side of the crane. It's got a nice railing - I can go from there. But two things wrong with that plan. First, I'll be exposed in the light of the spotlights, and second, about 30 feet in front of me will be the chain and hook that the crane uses to lift all the equipment to the top of the building. It is hanging about 20 feet lower than the catwalk. 30 feet out, 20 feet down, and pretty much right in front of where I would be jumping. Right in front of my face. Scary. I won't hit it, but what if my pilot chute toss catches it? Probably not, it's got to be too far out, but it is so huge up close that it's a bit scary. Well, if I go off a bit to the right, and I pitch further to the right, there's no way I'll snag it. Just hold a good solid 1 and a half second delay, and I'll be good. All it is going to do is add a gnarly visual to my freefall.

So it's settled. I climb down to the catwalk, get out on it, right into the spotlights. Now I'm totally exposed and visible. And immediately my ground crew comes on the radio and tells me to freeze - the second security guard who was still in the little security shack has just come out. As soon as I had just stepped into the light! So I freeze - totally motionless. I watch as the guard walks around a bit, goes over to his car, walks around a bit more, then stops. Is he looking up? I swear that if he looks up he'll see me. I'm directly below a couple of huge spotlights that are so bright they can give you a sunburn. Then he starts walking towards the building. Crap! Once he's inside, I call my ground crew. They lost sight of him when he entered the building, but don't think that he saw me. We're not sure, but I'm not turning back now. Even if I was seen, the quickest way of escape now lay in front of me, not behind.

So I pull out my pilot chute, get it all ready to go in hand. Moving as quickly and quietly as possible. Once I'm ready, I hop up onto the railing. I check with my ground crew, and they say that they have spotted the security guard. He's on the third floor, talking to the guy who's working on the drywall. Now's my time. Finally. Everything leading up to this has been scary. It's been over an hour since I got out of the car. But now I'm in my happy place.

I take a look around at the scenery one last time, then survey my landing area one last time, and go over then jump in my head one last time.

I start to count: 5 - 'am I ready?' - 4 - 'yeah I'm ready' - 3 - I feel the legs tense up - 2 - I start to lean - 1 - I start to push - See ya.

And that's when those spotlights, which had been both a blessing and my nemesis up until now, truly came into play . . .

My feet were barely off the steel. Once I felt I had a good head-high, chest-to-the-horizon launch, I took the opportunity to look straight down. You see, I like to get a bit of ground rush sensation every now and then. But what I saw was not what I expected. What I saw is an image I will never forget.

There on the ground below me, in perfect clarity, plain as day, was a shadow. A shadow of a person. The shadow of me.

It had to be 70 or 80 feet from head to toe. It was immense! I was so close to those spotlights, and they lit up the ground so well, that they cast a massive silhouette of my body in freefall. I couldn't believe it!

The next few moments went by like snapshots, or stop motion film. I watched as that shadow was in freefall. I watched as that shadow tossed its pilot chute. I saw the silhouette of the pilot chute inflate and go to bridle stretch. Then I felt the pins pop and the weight of the canopy lift off my back. In perfect sync, I saw a canopy coming off the back of that silhouette. By this time, I was falling with a bit of speed, and I could see the shadow getting smaller and smaller as I fell away from the spotlights. I watched as the shadow's canopy got closer to line stretch. And I felt the smile come across my face. And I heard my brain say "Dude - that was a cool two way!"

Then opening shock sat me upright, and I could see it no longer. I couldn't take the time to look for my new friend under canopy. I had other pressing matters to attend to.

I tried to set up for the park, but would have to sink it in too steep. So I chose to set it down back inside the construction compound. I landed nice and soft. Stuffed my gear in the stash bag real quick. I started to take one step towards the hole in the fence I could slip under. Then I took one last look towards the building - no security guard rushing out towards me. I don't think they had a clue. Then one last look up - at the building I was in, at the crane I was just on, at the full moon behind it and the one little wisp of a cloud. And at the exit point I had shared with myself!

Then off to the fence, underneath, into the car and we're gone.

Looking back at the jump, all the waiting, from first hearing about it, to watching it be built, to the extended process of getting in, and up to the exit point, all the hassle with the security - it took a lot to do that jump. And in the end, it was all worth it for just that one moment - a moment I will remember forever, a moment that blew my mind - the moment I looked down and saw my 80 foot tall shadow in freefall.

Every day since then, I have remembered that image. I have thought about that shadow. And probably will for many months to come.

For me, that visual was pretty surreal.

Wow.. some great stories there, well written too, i laughed out loud at the 70ft shadow though. :ph34r:

..and Mac's sisters hairy arse. ;)

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

Great story.

We had a nice crane down here that was about 400' high with a 2' light at the end which gave three of us a similar visual one night. We climbed the building, got through the lock (thanks to a multi-talented jumper on the load) and into the crane. After walking the boom, jumping and landing I think the first thing we all said to each other was "damn man, did you see your shadow?!?!?

I think that was the last jump we got off the boom since the operator kept finding his cab unlocked and the crane moved close to an adjacent parking lot which was our LZ.

Wow, you guys have some awesome stories, and they are very well written! I'm more amazed by the writing than by the stories! Ok, just kidding. We do have some very intelligent people in our ranks. I'm not one of them, but they do exist.

About 14 hours from now will be the anniversary of my most surreal BASE jump, which by the way could also be posted in the bad decisions thread. Rather than re-write it, I'll just copy my entry from last year and paste it here. It wasn't previously posted on Dropzone.com, I don't think, just the BASE Board.

The squeamish better sit down before continuing, and for your unprobable reading enjoyment, here goes cntl V! :)

As y'all know, I went on a quest to get my BASE number last week. I got my A on Nov. 3rd thanks to Mark and Lloyd. Getting on that ladder for the climb up was the scariest thing I've done yet in BASE. Thanks to Lloyd for his patience and encouragement; I was quite the woos for about ten minutes! But once I got on the ladder and began the acsent, I was fine. The jump was sweet and the landing was perfect.

On Nov. 5th Lloyd and I headed out to L.A. to meet up with the Culver City local, Shawn T, who was gracious enough to take us off his local B. Once at the top, looking over the edge, I was amazed at the different terrain below! I'm used to seeing natural elements, not asphalt, cars, buildings, people, streetlights....what a trip!

Shawn went first, our wind test dummy, and did a fine job. I climbed up on the cap of the wall next, and can't even describe the feeling of standing there, ready to jump. Once off, the visuals were amazing! After a nice deployment, I was sailing off over the adjacent buildings, then turning in for final. I was too high to make the landing area, so I did a small left s-turn to bleed of some altitude, and when I came in to line back up with the boulevard, I managed to hit one of the trees lining the street. I broke the top off the tree, my canopy collapsed, and down I went.

The next thing I knew, I was lying in the street on my left side, with lower right leg totally numb and at an odd angle. Shawn came running over, I wriggled out of my gear, then I saw Lloyd coming in for his landing. They fireman carried me to the bushes across the street, got the gear into the bushes, and Shawn sprinted for the car. Lloyd was busy stuffing gear into sacks, and I sat there and held my leg together. It was obviously completely snapped, as it flopped like a fish if I didn't hold it tightly. My mantra was "I can't believe I broke my leg..."

So up squeals Shawn's car, and he and Lloyd loaded me into the front seat, the gear in the trunk, and we were out of there! No ambulance, no police, a clean getaway! Next I was on my cell phone to call my BASE partner to let her know I got my B, and got something else as well. "By the way, do you know the nearest hospital?" After a call to 911 for directions, we discovered we were less than 2 blocks from the nearest emergency room. Getting out of the car was a little tricky, but not as bad as you'd imagine. Remember, I was still completely numb; shock is a wonderful thing. In the ER, the nurse asked me, "what were you doing, skateboarding?" Sounded good to me, so I went with it. After X-rays, traction, and a shot of morphine, the doctor told me surgery would be required as my tibia was broken in 3 places and the fibula in 1. I got admitted, moved upstairs, and began the wait for surgery.

It was quite a strange experience, lying there in a hospital bed with my leg in pieces. I have never had a broken bone, nor surgery, but I was very anxious to get into the operating room so they could put Humpty Dumpty back together again. My surgery was on Thursday the 7th, and I was released on Saturday the 9th.

THANKS TO THE FOLLOWING PEOPLE FOR THEIR CARE AND SUPPORT: Lloyd, Shawn, CJ and Bethany, Emily and Luigi, Karin, Dwain, and JJ, and above all, Anne and Rob. Thanks to D-Dog for offering to help with my dogs, and thanks to Chip for taking them in for the duration. I am blessed to have wonderful, caring, and supportive friends that are absolultely there when they are needed the most.

And the moral of this story is: Karen is going to become the Mistress of SINK. I'll be off my leg for 2-3 months, and full healing will take 6 months to a year. I plan to be up and jumping in time to get current for next year's Norway Expedition, which is 9 months away.

So that's what I've been up to! And how have y'all been?

Hi Karen happy broken bone day tommorrow,i had mine last saturdayB|

I know you will have a nice trip,it will fuck up your brain,i know becours it did it to me,to jump the werry same spot again were it didnt go right first time..
B|

i now have exactly 40 jumps after i were injuryed,and i know for sure i love this sport more than i did before...

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Mac you forgot to mention the black heard....

I'm first off, Land looking back up the tower for Mac to Go. Hear a russling behind me.
There's about 50 cows all in a semi circle around me sniffing my parachute...
One of them puts it foot in a loop in my bridle...hear we go....
I know Macs about to jump and I know what will happen to the cows.
Sure enough...crack opens the canopy (nice 180) all 50 cows leg it, including the one with my bridle attatched to it's leg which in tern is attached to my harness that I'm still wearing.......
Luckly it gives a couple of kicks and the bridles off. Mac Lands. We're waiting for sean...the cows come back. Last straw is Seans canopy opening, sends them into a stampeed they were still running as we left.... very amusing..
http://georgechurchill.blogspot.com

hehehehe!! Yeah I remember - that was weird! Cravendale cows came hunting!!

Strange we were only talking about this last night on the drive to "The Black Herd" - for another surreal jump from there - I did a solo (with GC) and it was fogged out! alone on top of the A not being able to see anything - was a very lonely place - but nice - I got off it and then proceeded to fly my canopy blind until about 15ft from the ground..................... was pure "lost boys" stylie!

Was strange jumping off into the fog................ it was just as if I was floating in the abyss...................... nice!

B|B|B|