QuickDraw

Dwaine Weston.

I'm not a BASEr yet and so I stay out of this forum, but allow me to post my condolences to you guys and to everyone involved.

Fly forever.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

Having seen some of the amazing footage from a few of his jumps, I had to say I was in awe of what he could do.

A note to the others, journo's are also perusing these threads:

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/10/06/1065292525849.html

His death left devotees of the sport shaken and BASE jumpers worldwide posted tributes on the Dropzone.com website.

A jumper from Portland, Oregon, using the name Narcimund, described Weston's death as "absolutely unbelievable". "Over 1200 base jumps with never a broken bone or other injury," he wrote. Matthew Nekvapil, of Kuala Lumpur, said: "Wow. I've read so much about this guy . . . Only 30, so young."

Base570 wrote: "Dwain was a true pioneer in our small sport, always pushing the limits."

- AAP, AP
"Don't blame malice for what stupidity can explain."

"In our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart and in our despair, against our will comes wisdom" - Aeschylus

There is a video interview with Tom Begic here.

No film footage of the incident in this link btw.

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

My condolences to all who knew him ...

I never had the privilege but his articles have helped many (like me)

Fly free ...

I never met Dwain, but I met many of his friends and read many of his articles. I printed out a load of his articles on safety for a friend I am mentoring to find out yesterday he had died. Such a sad loss.

Meeker

i just seen his profile and it says
"Home DZ: Skydive Elderslie"
if thats elderslie australia
thats my local DZ which i was booked into start my AFF this friday , i had been booked in for 2 weeks
and my old man got a call this morning from them asking him to tell me that a wedding has come up at the dropzone this weekend so now i have to wait till the 25th

seems strange that all of a sudden a wedding appears that they didnt know about untill today

Im guessing its a possibility that they maybe having the weekend off for somthing to do with dwain and not actually a suprise wedding.

Maybe they didnt wanna scare my dad lol or maybe there really is a wedding

either way if dwain is from that dropzone my sympathies for his friends there

Yeah, it's on Beyond Extreme. He did a double from 180ft with Tom Begic filming while also in freefall. The footage is at the point when he says "The next thing I want to accomplish in acrobatic base is a double-somersault from below 200 feet.", he just did the interview before the jump existed.

BSBD Dwain from someone who had the biggest respect for you.

Craig

Hi,
Just a newbie at this site but I knew Dwaine at Uni in Newcastle so many years ago. So much energy and brains and nerve. He's a person that will be sorely missed. I'm living now just 20mins from where he grew up in Bonny Hills NSW and spent the past week working there and wondering if I'll bump into him. Now that I know that I won't saddens me.

But we still have our memories. I'm not surprised he was an adventurer and a pioneer. He was always destined to be so.

S XX

From the very beginning and over the years, I've heard of Dwain doing some pretty daft stuff, seen the footage, seen the grins. So I gues sthis was a bit of a shock.

He was always the one we joked at and about, but the last one to expect it to actually happen to.
To boot, the timing for me is more unreal than anyone can ever imagine.

I'll never forget laughin' when he stuffed up, trying to impress a girl...smiling like an idiot when I heard he'd vouched for my sorry ass...and sighing with the deepest sorrow when I heard it was all over.

What a "larrikan", what a life, what a loss.
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."