andy2

open corners

We have always assumed that advertising was considered to be taboo on this forum. However, we feel the need to clarify a couple of things.

First of all, the design that we have labeled “Dynamic Corners” is something that we originally created specifically for the Gargoyle. This option is not offered on our Velcro container and never has been. There were a number of different prototypes designed before reaching the final version. Many of which were much easier to manufacture, but not as effective as what we consider to be the finished product that we have now. One of which was a design that looks to be very similar to the pictures that are provided above. That being where long tongues/tabs are attached to the sides of the bottom flaps and slot into slits of the sidewalls of the container. (Say that three times fast) We tried a couple of different forms of rigidity but one concern was if these tongues/tabs came out of their respective slots during deployment, they could flap back and forth in and out of the tray and could cause an issue as the canopy is feeding past. The biggest concern with this design was in recreating a “not so perfect situation” such as being on the edge preparing for a low jump or any hand deploy situation. If somehow a bottom pin were pulled, the canopy would dump out. The design that we have now can greatly reduce this possibility as long as there is some tension in the side flaps. The design of the dynamic corner is such that if only the top pin is in tact, the weight of the canopy itself is not enough to allow the canopy to drop through the bottom flap. The bottom flap holds its shape until both pins are extracted. We feel that this is also helpful in some of the scenarios that were discussed previously. i.e. bottom flap floating around with a partially opened container.

Regarding aesthetics, the pictures above show a very clean and neatly folded canopy. This can definitely help in making any of the open corner designs look aesthetically pleasing. One tip that we give to any Gargoyle owner with this option is to ensure that the bottom fold of the canopy is placed against and not on top of the Dynamic Corner, thus helping to sandwich it between the canopy and the side flaps.

In reference to the wrap around corners, we have tried many different sizes and have found that anything larger than what we are offering now would not allow the Dynamic Corners to open out fully. The entire purpose of having them is to allow the bottom tray to open up cleanly so as to have the best opportunity for an uninhibited deployment.

Robert and Kathy Jones
Morpheus Technologies

Can Vertigo's new Merlin container be used without a wingsuit and for low objects? (300 to 200 foot range)?

Yes, same as Warlock.

bsbd!

Yuri.

We have always assumed that advertising was considered to be taboo on this forum.

It is, but none of the things you posted are advertising. They are good, solid information straight from the horse's (err...manufacturer's) mouth. You're perfectly welcome to post that kind of information any time.

Thanks!
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

The most impressive "open" container I have seen to date was being used by a Russian wingsuit BASE jumper in Norway earlier this summer. When laid out unpacked, it was just simply a flat slab of cordura, when packed, it looked like your normal pin closed BASE rig. Sorry I don't have more info, but there was a language barrier. As far as I can tell, it was Russian built. If anyone has knowledge of this rig, please elaborate.
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com