gharendza

"The Sorcerer"

From what the RW guy told me, the primary difference between the Skyhook setup & the Sorcerer setup is that the Skyhook detaches from the reserve freebag bridle (to handle main total malfunctions).

Did he explain how that's different from the Sorcerer? I'm pretty sure the Sorcerer reserve can also be deployed independently, in the event of a total main malfunction.

Jimmy wrote:

...a total malfunction...the reserve can be deployed independently of the main.

-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I should have been more clear on this point. Bill and RWS did not copy the Sorcerer, far from it. Their system is brilliant. The thing that is exactly the same is that the reserve is static lined by the jettisoned main. With RWS's Skyhook, in the event of a total, the reserve is deployed normally with a spring loaded pilot chute. With the Sorcerer, in the event of a total, there is a handle on the left shoulder that is connected to the base of the reserve pilot chute. When you pull this handle the reserve is disconnected from the main riser and you deploy the reserve in a pull-out fashion. The reserve is packed in a free bag.
Jimmy P.

Paranoia will destroy ya.
Your SS# only goes to the Sheriff, not the NPS.

I don't have a slot for BD. $60 is too much to give my SS# away to the man

(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

Same guy diff'rent hat.[:/]

Also, I don't have a pot to piss in never mind $60 to jump a "free" bridge.

I can do a promotional appearance for $100. How about that?

Alternatively you could get Felix Catlitter for 50 cents.

Your choice;)
$kin.

Prizes to anyone who gets to read my posts before Mr Aiello's son, Tom deletes them.

I'm not going to use the skyhook system at any altitude that I wouldn't direct bag a similarly packed (i.e. slider up) BASE canopy from.

Even if I did have a Skyhook (I have a Wings rig), I still wouldn't lower my decision altitude. The selling point that Bill Booth was stating with the very quick deployment had to do more with canopy collisions in the 400-500ft range. Still freaky, though.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Jan and Lukas would be wishing that they were juming a "Sorcercer".
God Bless them !
Gerald Harendza El-Capitan #494

I thought the Sorcerer was more of a novelty than a lifesaver. Am I mistaken?
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

I thought the Sorcerer was more of a novelty than a lifesaver. Am I mistaken?

I don't think so. I agree that it's more novelty than lifesaver.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

do you think its status as such would change if it was used more?

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

I don't really think it has a place in modern BASE except for use in fun-away jumps.

The norm in BASE has pretty much always been to use all allowable freefall time and initiate deployment at the lowest "safe" altitude. (I'm not sure if "altitude" is the right word for this...;))

If you're delaying until there's only time to attempt one deployment, with a small margin for variation, then you certainly will not have time to try again once you realize things aren't working.

I suppose if you're primarily a bigwall jumper and you take extremely conservative delays then a Sorcerer may have a place in your arsenal. As long as you can maintain a balance between gaining sufficient horizontal separation from the object and pulling high enough to give a reserve a chance, then use it.

This just isn't a common practice in BASE these days and it probably won't ever be.

edit: "extremely conservative"... does that even make sense...?:S

modern BASE except for use in fun-away jumps.

>:(damnit all my jumps are funjumps;)..whats wrong whith that:D:ph34r:

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

modern BASE except for use in fun-away jumps.

>:(damnit all my jumps are funjumps;)..whats wrong whith that:D:ph34r:

I think DexterBASE was referring to a cutaway made purely for fun (hence fun-away).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

i know just making fun a him ;)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Jan and Lukas would be wishing that they were juming a "Sorcercer".
God Bless them !
Gerald Harendza El-Capitan #494

[rush limbaugh voice] Can I say something like that? [/rush limbaugh voice]

Sorcerer is just about twice as heavy to climb up a tower with. something to consider.

Thomas

Sorcerer is just about twice as heavy to climb up a tower with. something to consider.

Never thourght of it that way.. you must be a lazy boy aswell:ph34r::D

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Never thourght of it that way.. you must be a lazy boy aswell

now now faber! remember that YOU TOO ARE A LAZYBOY!!

:P:P

Take it easy brother..........

not as much as you.. how long time should my next visit be... 1 week again? can you get off work? trying to plan Feb. or so... if its ok

ps. i only have one glass of my favorite pickles back,i might need a loong wweekend to get some more in..;)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Yeah mate! If you can do February do it - I will take the time off work whilst you are here! do the same as last time but prehaps visit the guys in Lowlands across the water this time..............

I have some more holiday to take before the end of the year so just say the word if you want a long weekend here............... would be cool to flick lowshit with you again.........

Peace Always my friend.........

M

ps) you still hucking off something tonight?

Idiots

Care to expand on that?
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Hi, The "Sorcerer" a second chance Dual Parachute BASE Rig that has proven to saves lives!
Thank You, Gerald Harendza

I asked the guy what kind of distances they were seeing before people had a reserve over their head and he said generally around 75 feet (the longest they saw was 100 feet). So it sounds very similar performance-wise.

I'd say that he was yanking your chain (or overselling the product). The only way to get an open canopy under 100 feet is to deploy it slider down (or off). Packing a skydiving reserve slider down is a death sentence in the event of a high speed malfunction.

Hey Tom,

The statement from RWS is correct. Try to get your hands on the promo video of the system and you'll be surprised what you'll see.

When I was doing my rigging course at RWS the Skyhook was in its final stage of development. The guy doing the test jumps was actually my trainer. Smart enough he had me pack some of the reserves used in those test jumps. I've seen some of the jumps carried out and since I was within RWS at the time I know the stated numbers are correct.

I currently have a Skyhook in my Vector!

cheers,

J.

www.vandrunen.ch

The statement from RWS is correct. Try to get your hands on the promo video of the system and you'll be surprised what you'll see.

If we could get some of their knowledge over here, it would revolutionize BASE. We ought to be able to get open canopies in 100 feet. That's pretty revolutionary. Imagine freefalling from 100 fott objects.

What special things were you doing to the canopy to get it open so fast? Can you share any of them?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

If we could get some of their knowledge over here, it would revolutionize BASE. We ought to be able to get open canopies in 100 feet.

Can't we do that already? How much altitude does it take for a static lined canopy to open? That's essentially what the skyhook does, right?

It sounds like we're talking about "open canopy" vs "flying canopy". The skyhook may well open a canopy in 100 ft but I imagine its descent rate at that point is no safer than the descent rate of a static lined canopy 100 ft below the exit point. Or am I well off the mark?

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

If we could get some of their knowledge over here, it would revolutionize BASE. We ought to be able to get open canopies in 100 feet. That's pretty revolutionary. Imagine freefalling from 100 fott objects.

What special things were you doing to the canopy to get it open so fast? Can you share any of them?

Well, using the skyhook really is not freefalling, as the cut-away canopy is acting like an anchor in the air, producing much more pull to the reserve bridle to pull the freebag out. It creates much more pull force than the reserve pilot chute in subterminal speeds. So compared to base it's somewhere between static lining or PCA and freefalling.

Vesa

"Fear is the path to the Dark side"
(Master Yoda)