cesslon

330 feet low or very low ?

Hi , i dont base jump but have a question
i dont even sky dive but am starting my course very soon

anyway there is this chimney near my house which is around 330feet high
about 10 years ago when i was 11, 3 guys climbed up it to base jump
1 got scarred and come down after climbing half way up the ladder and the other jumped

it was inside this big factory that they wernt meant to be in lol and the police waited for them by there cars outside and arrested them lol

anyway i want to know is 330 feet only for crazy base jumpers or would most experienced base jumpers jump off that hieght ?

ps: i have no plans of jumping off this so please dont rave on about i should get more experience first lol

the guide 330ft is werry rugh.

Hows the landing area?
the jumpers need a place to land...

330ft sounds like a nice altitude to me,but if im cracy i cant tell you i dont know;)

i have no plans of jumping off this so please dont rave on about i should get more experience first

i think ints common sence not to jump before you have the experience.. but why did you start thinking on this 10 years after you saw some guys...Focus on your skydive cours,its a hole new world;)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

A chimney/smokestack of 330 ft - 100 m of height is not low, it is quite well jumpable, as far as only "height" is concerned.
But any object, to be jumpable, need to have more than only "minimum height" to be jumped.
To be jumpable, an object needs to have: enoguh height to deploy the parachute, a decent exit point to jump of the object, a decent landing area that can be reached safely (and conservatively!) from the point where you have an open canopy over your head.
End of story about jumpability of any object, smokestacks in particular: If, given your exit altitude and canopy deployment altitude, you start flying at an altitude that DO NOT allow to: 1) land where it is safe; 2) reach the OUTSIDE of the factory environment, you are very likely: 1) to hurt yourself if you do not reach a safe landing area; and/or: 2) to get caught by police in the process of escaping.
A 330 ft - 100 m smokestack in the middle of a field in the middle of nowhere, it is a very jumpable object.
A 330 ft - 100 m smokestack in the middle of a factory site and maybe even coming out from the middle of the roof of a factory building, could be impossible either to climb or to be jumped safely and/or to escape uneventfully.
Just my 0.02€
Stay safe out there
Blue Skies and Soft Walls
BASE #689 - base_689AT_NO_123_SPAMyahoo.com

thanx for the answers

the reason i asked 10 years after was i had no1 to ask the last 10 years as im 1 day old in this forum lol .

A 330 ft - 100 m smokestack in the middle of a factory site and maybe even coming out from the middle of the roof of a factory building, could be impossible either to climb or to be jumped safely and/or to escape uneventfully.

It used to have a ladder going all the way to the ground but after the guy's jumped off of it they took down the first 30 feet or so of the ladder .

I live in a new house which is closer to this factory then where i have lived the rest of my life as ive only lived here a month out on this farm and i work from home at my computer and look out the window off into the distance at it each day and always have had a facination with parachutes and thought im currently in a base jumping forum i mose well ask about it lol

for now my 1 goal is just learning to sky dive and asking a lot of questions about everything .

but since this is jumpable , who knows maybe 10 years time ill be a base jumper and ask the company for permission .
but like i said for now i have no plans and wouldnt do anything like that unless i was very heavily experienced

but its good to ask questions and thanx for the answers

as i dont know how far you can glide from that hieght i couldnt really say if there was safe landing
if you can glide with ya parachute 60 metre's from there chimney base there would be safe landing in open paddocks

whats the lowest object advanced base jumpers will jump from ?

one's without a death wish that is

Probably around 200 feet.

The lowest freefall deployment I know of was 156 ft, but that was (a) well below pretty much everyone's limit, and (b) done by one of the world's very best jumpers.

Jumps can be done a number of different ways that allow for lower altitude (static line, direct bag, TARD, etc). The lowest non-freefall deployment I know of was 111 ft.

As you get lower and lower, people start to question whether what you are doing is actually a BASE jump, due to the often absurd rigging you have to do to make a parachute open from those altitudes.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

> but since this is jumpable...
Who decided your smokestack is jumpable?!?!? Just having seen the one jumper that jumped it 10 years ago? Did he do the jump of his life luckily walking away with it in his jump-of-a-life-time or is it repeatedly and "safely" jumpable? You CANNOT know it, since currently you do not have any information about landing area, landability into or outside factory premises, and so on...

> who knows maybe 10 years time ill be a base jumper and ask the company for permission
Sorry to destroy your dreams, but you will never have the permission from the company to jump it daylight and legally. What guarantees can they have that you don't smash yourself down, and destroy parts of the factory, and the mess with a fatality, police, whatever...?

> as i dont know how far you can glide from that hieght i couldnt really say if there was safe landing
if you can glide with ya parachute 60 metre's from there chimney base there would be safe landing in open paddocks
You COULD, granted you got a flying parachute 50 m below exit point, 100 m is object's height, so you are flying at 50 m of altitude. Conservatively, a BASE parachute has an efficiency of 2 (for every meter you go down, you travel 2 m forward), so you COULD get to the open paddocks 60 m away from chimney's base, but... ...what if you cannot exit exactly in the direction facing the paddocks? ...what if you open slightly lower? ...what if releasing your brakes you find yourself with a good flying parachute at 40 m of altitude, maybe 35m? ...what if at 35÷40 m of altitude you get caught but a wind gust (not even that strong) in the opposite direction? ...what if in the "journey" towards the paddocks, 60 m away, you encounter the factory fence/wall that is 5 m (let's say) high? Remember that you must clear any object in the flight path (walls(fences/light poles/whatever...) with your body with a good clearance (see above wind gusts).
So.
In order to say that your chimney, and ANY object, is (repeatedly and "safely") jumpable, a BASE jumper must evaluate the object (exact object height, possible directions to jump off, landing area (=reachability of landing area from designated exit point), alternative landing areas, bust factors involved in the jump, whatever else...).

> whats the lowest object advanced base jumpers will jump from ?
It looks like a question way ahead of its (=your) time... At your stage, I think you don't need really to know which is the lowest height jumpable...
But, again, the height jumpable is directly correlated to landing area (=availabilty and easyness of landing area), in the sense that the lowest the object is, the easiest must be its landing (easiest=soft consistency and availability (=must be just under and all around the object)).
Then again: what is the surface under your low object?
Because if the surface which you are going to land on is flat rock/concrete/tar, I could have in mind a "lowest" height-1 jumpable, if the surface which you are going to land on is paddock/meadow/mud/similar surface, I could have in mind another "lowest" height-2 jumpable.
If you are going to land on shallow water, I could have in mind another "lowest" height-3 jumpable.
If, finally, you are going to land on deep water, I could have in mind another "lowest" height-4 jumpable.
Please, consider that in case of height-4, such a height-4 can be something around 25 m, which height-4 could be easily taken down to 20 m - 15 m - 10 m - 5 m - zero, simply because in that case you don't really have the need to jump WITH a BASE rig, granted that if the water is really deep enough, a diver with good ability/training can dive (feet down) off that height (25 m). So the story of a BASE rig, parachute, whatever, is no more necessary...
Consider, finally, that clavadistas in Acapulco do their clavados (=dives) from 42 m or so feet down AND arms/head down. And they do jump off their "exit" point on the natural wall over the "La Quebrada" canyon WITHOUT a BASE rig. B|
Stay safe out there

it depends who you are and were you are used to jump from...

if your used to low freefalls im sure your okay by ultra low jumps aswell.
we all has our limits.What one does,dosnt make sence to others and the otherway around..

that makes me think.. does there exist such a # as sub 200ft BASE # or so?I never heard about it,but just a thourght..

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

The lowest non-freefall deployment I know of was 111 ft.

Dude, my uncle has a theory about the number 111 and how it pops up in weird places. Hence, my name on this forum.

And you just proved my uncle right again. :)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

> The lowest non-freefall deployment I know of was 111 ft - 34 m
May I remind you the famous INDOOR jump done several years ago (around 1990÷1992) by BASE #230 (UK jumper) who was D-bagged off the gallery of a famous cathedral? BASE #230 jumped off 102 ft - 31 m with a non-BASE canopy (I am afraid that at the time, BASE parachutes either did not exist or were at a very experimental stage... ...possibly not available in UK...). Congratulations to his rigging abilities and moreover to his balls!!!! B|

> The lowest non-freefall deployment I know of was 111 ft - 34 m
May I say that there is a European jumper that last year jumped (D-bagged) a cliff on the seaside in Southern Europe few cm's below 88 ft - 27 m? In that jump he landed on dry sand (not on water!); he used a Vtec-only parachute. It is very well documented with photos in his website. This chap is very modest and does not look for publicity, so I am not saying here about his name nor about his nationality. Also, in a personal e-mail, he told me that he did also better (=lower B| ) when he did another D-bag jump indoor, inside an industrial "building", jumping a Vtec-only parachute (with vents larger than a standard Vtec parachute) off 82 ft - 25 m!!!! B| B| B| And this jump was definitely over hard land!!! B| B| B|
Stay safe out there

Yep. Another jumper emailed me and reminded me of a 63 ft d-bag I'd already seen on video.

I guess I'm just behind the times. Either that or I'm getting old and senile--but I'll never be as old as you, my friend.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

i do belive i saw a pic of this person jumping in the dry sand,on the pic it even looks like he lands nice standing... or were it just a lucky shoot?

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Doesn't this "lowest jump" question come up about every 6 months or so? Tom is correct and based on previous posts regarding lowest jumps, the 63' D-bag that Steve B. made in the early 1990's in Ohio still stands as the lowest jump in my book. I used to jump with Steve and he gave me a copy of the video, which later ended up on my BASE video "FIXED 2!". If he had no canopy, he would have hit dirt. He had about 1 second of canopy time and actually got some foward motion to put him in the water.

Yep. Another jumper emailed me and reminded me of a 63 ft d-bag I'd already seen on video

(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

Heh, not sure I understand... (?)

EDIT: Ok, yeh I am aware that 111 is very likely to pop up quite often in binary strings if that was what you meant. :P
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

i do belive i saw a pic of this person jumping in the dry sand,on the pic it even looks like he lands nice standing.

Here is the pic.

ok here is another question lol

if 1 jumps off say a 4,000 foot cliff
whats say the average hieght they will pull there shoot at ?

Hmmm,

Your profile says you're a student. What are you a student of? Your spelling looks like Faber & Feral got pissed up together & played scrabble in french.

For info, male BASE jumpers start to pull at the very thought of a 4000 foot cliff and don't quit until 5 minutes after their hand goes numb.

Now, get off the internet and go back to class...and take your dictionary this time.>:(

Love n hugs,

Skin.

PS you no I joeking, write?
;)
$kin.

Prizes to anyone who gets to read my posts before Mr Aiello's son, Tom deletes them.

most of my speeling mistakes are actually typo's

and if my questions arnt wanted then i wont ask any

Chill Winston - have you a sense of humour?! [:/]

Your spelling looks like Faber & Feral got pissed up together & played scrabble in french.

piss my pants!!! (your mothers by the way!!) :o

chill winston - its called humour! :S

Your spelling looks like Faber & Feral got pissed up together & played scrabble in french.

Now thats a nightmare!! hehehe Pissing my pants!!(incidently your mothers pants!) :o

laterzzzzzzzz

duude, ill use my time by jumping not by spelling i leave that to you guys;)

For info, male BASE jumpers start to pull at the very thought of a 4000 foot cliff and don't quit until 5 minutes after their hand goes numb.

i would "pull" off my slider,pop a beer,climb down to a an alti were i could make a safe slider off jump.

you no I joeking, write?

no way>:(;)

when do you plan to visit "home" again?im ready for some cheesB|:)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber