digdog

water under the bridge

To anyone that's actually been to bridgeday.
This will be my first BASE jump at the bridge which will probably be a water landing. How deep is it and is it advisable to jump a rig that's still wet?

Thanks

How deep depends on where you land. From ankle-breaking shallow right next to the lz to well well over your head toward the channel. try to stick it close to shore so you won't have to hinder the boats (leaving them free to deal with the folks who land way out there. There are rescue peeps on the shore with throwables to pick up people who are close enough to the shore that they don't need a boat.

highly advised to walk the landing area the day before so you can see what you're dealing with. you'll hear plenty of information during the FJC courses at the bridge the day(s) before.

wet rigs get jumped all the time. might wanna dry your pc some, though it's not necessary from this alt.

have fun
Gardner

Hello,
Yes, but be aware, wet nylon, especially adjacent to the stitching
does not retain the integrity of dry fabric and stitching,
and is more prone to failure along stitching.
I have personally seen cells fail along wet stitching.
By fail I mean explode. 7 cells minus 1 cell = 6 cells!
Could be worse, ie: more than one cell fails.
Remember, you dry faster than you heal.

Also, in regards to the water near the shore,
depending on the level of the river, the area
between 5-10 yards off shore is littered with
ankle breaking rocks. This is the result of the
pre-event clean-up crew removing them from shore.
These bowling ball to grapeftuit sized rocks are
left on the shore by the yearly run of the river.
The clean-up crew just hucks them back into
the river, where they can be hidden from the
unsuspecting Bridge Day novice.
Yes, it's a dirty trick, but there you are.
If you are coming in fast,
you would be well advised to land in deep water.
Avery
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

Maybe I'm a prick for saying this, but oh-well...

If you're THIS UNSURE about your ability to land your parachute in a designated area, maybe you should re-think making a BASE Jump. Stepping off the bridge is the easy part, ANYONE CAN DO IT... I understand that landing off the true L.Z. happens ALL THE TIME... But for some reason, PLANNING on an H2O landing seems rather - what's the word I'm looking for... over zealous.

I truly do not mean any disrespect by this post, nor have I been, nor will I ever attend bridge day, but it seems to be one of the most simple jumps out there (hence the newbie parade) in comparison to many others.

What was the Torch's line? Oh yeah, "Flame on!"

If I'm not mistaken, digdog has already purchased some gear, but the canopy size is too small. he is searching for something larger, but my take on this is that he is developing plan B, which is to make an intentional water ldg in his currently-owned canopy - unless his bigger canopy shows up b4 BD. In that case I would assume he plans to jump IT, and land it ashore (barring any unforeseen circumstances).

Gardner

Fair enough.

That makes a little more sense, but I've seen/done some (lots of) really stupid sh*t and don't wanna see/do any more.

:|