digdog

used gear

I'm trying to get myself ready for bridge day which will be my first B.A.S.E. jump and I just bought some used Equip. I finally comitted.

I got a Wizard with a Dagger 240 although I'm trying to get a bigger canopy. Both with about 100 jumps.
I'm 6'3" and about 210lbs.

When I received the rig I noticed it had a type 17 chest strap. Doesn't seem like much t hold yu in.
It's not wrapped around the webbing just sewn into it.

Has there been any problems with BASE chest straps or harness inparticular with the "Wizard"?

Also, it has no side stiffeners though I know it,s better to have them to reduce PIT, but has this been a big problem concerning these types of rigs?

O.K. I guess I'm trying to find out if there has been any main concerns dealing with the Wizard container or the Dagger whether older or new?

Thanks

P.S. For bridge day would a Dagger 240 be sufficient for my size if I don't find a larger one in time.
I got a little over 200 skydives and haveI guss average canopy abilities for that many jumps?

Way too small dude.

A nice big fat boy like you should have 300+ above him. Think very carefully about planning for a water landing. It could be the difference between driving home and getting a ride in the ice-cream van. Just because it's pitched as a "beginner object" doesn't mean you can't fall foul to the many dangers.
W.V. rocks are hard and pointy too.

Be safe.

Skin.

PS you can swim, right?B|
$kin.

Prizes to anyone who gets to read my posts before Mr Aiello's son, Tom deletes them.

I've bought at least 3 Wizards over the years and have had no problems. They are my favorite Velcro BASE rig.

While the Type 17 chest strap may appear a bit small, the load ratings are adequate. However, I usually ask Vertigo to use Type 8 instead because it doesn't cost much more, plus it is stronger. In my opinion, bigger (and stronger) is better in BASE jumping.

Cya.

PS. That 240 will probably set you down a little hard....go for the river (near the shore).
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

I jump a Wizard - no problems. I like it! I prefer this velcro rig over others I have seen.

Canopy - Go big!

Be safe always

Hey man,
I'm pretty much exactly your height and weight, I put about 70 jumps on a Mojo 280, then bought an Ace 310. The extra square footage DEFINATELY makes a difference, especially down-wind without a slider.
I also made a few jumps on a Fox 265, one of which I broke my knee on landing, B|my mistake wouldn't have had as severe consequences had I been under a larger canopy. Bigger is BETTER in BASE!
I agree with 428, unless all of your 200 jumps are under a 7-cell F-111 220-240, I'd say go for the river too.
Enjoy!!!!
Blair

Fellow Texan, I too have around 140 BASE jumps on a Wizard, and it fits and flys just great. Like everyone else says, get a bigger canopy or go for the water. Since this is Vertigo gear, call Jimmy and Marta and they can help.
"It takes a big man to cry, it takes an even bigger man to make that big man cry"

I would not worry about the T-17 chest strap unless it has been installed incorrectly. The loading on the chest strap during opening shock is not high enough to cause the webbing to fail. T-17 has been in used in skydiving as well as BASE jumping for a many years with out incedent. We have built rigs for years using T-17 for the chest straps when the customer has requested it, and we have not had any cases where the webbing or the juction between the main lift web and the chest strap has failed. The difference between 1" T-17 and 2" T-8 is really a matter of comfort and preference.

Definitely go with a bigger canopy. For someone your size we would recommend a Dagger 288. Of course, this also depends on your canopy skills, the elevation where you jump, type of landing areas, if you have a bad ankle or other injuries, and so on and so forth. If a bigger canopy is not an option for you at Bridge Day, landing in the water is a great idea.
With regards to your inquiry about the chest strap:
Vertigo has been using type 17 chest straps since day one, 14 years ago. They have been used in the skydiving world for even longer than that. The webbing itself has never failed. Type 17 webbing breaks at 2500 lbs, more than adequate for the job. There have been a coulple of cases where the STITCHING at the chest strap has failed. In both cases the rigs were loaded unevenly and in the most recent case the jumper was also head down going at least 150 MPH. A few years ago, many skydiving manufacturers started to do a "wrap around" where the chest strap webbing wraps around the harness webbing, rather than being sandwiched in between the two layers of harness webbing. This was done to address potential problems with the ever evolving sport. On the same note, BASE is evolving at the same pace if not faster. Orders for canopies as large as a 313 (this means very big guys) are becoming more common. With these larger jumpers comes the issue of increased loading on the gear. There will always be bad body position no matter how advanced we are. Looking at the scenario of a big guy, long delay., no slider and bad body position (uneven loading) it is easy to see the potential for the same problem happening. To avoid any possible chance of this situation happening in our world, we change our chest straps to the "wrap around" for jumpers heavier than 190 lbs. We use type 17 unless the customer asks for another type of webbing. All of our Wizards have always used stiffeners underneath the Velcro on the side flaps. If you don't have them in your side flaps, it was modified.
Thanks!
Hope this helps
Marta Empinotti of Vertigo BASE Outfitters