GeeeeeeFly

Psycho Packing

Question for those who know...

I heard from an experienced source that psycho packing is bad or hard on the canopy material...

Is this possible?

How could this be any worse than a flat pack or regular pro pack?

Feed back please...

"The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over"

I can only say that the time I tried to Psychopack my Tri 160 carefully following the instructions of the link above it took 1500 feet to open and it opened veeeeeery hard. After that I'm not trying again allthough I admit that once may be not enough trying.

HISPA # 18 POPS # 8757

I am flying a FX 120 currently, which was made in 98...
I purchased it off someone yet I am not sure exactly how many jumps this guy has put on it, (being it was manufactured in 98 he said around 900) so I am trying to keep this thing in pristine condition as much as possible...

I have a new line set on it and had Chicago inspect and do necessary repairs on it...
I am also wing loading it 2:1 so I can't imagine that helps either...
I have been psycho packing it with great success. Opens soft and on heading 98% of the time. I am just trying to limit any excessive stress or damage on the canopy if I can....

"The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over"

Yes standard pro packing at the beginning...
Then 180 flip canopy, section the tail over the nose, quarter and roll...
Place D bag over canopy, placing canopy inside D bag. Reverse 180 by rotating the D bag (to get rid of line twist) and continue with stowing lines and closing pocedures...
Pretty easy procedure and I have been having nothing but great results from it...
The Brazilians at the DZ like to call it "mucho loco packing"...

How nice, to instill confidence...

I used to jump a Tri 160 at the same loading as you.
If you pack by the Psycho packing "manual" you will on occasion get very long snivels followed by a hard opening and line twist! I have tried this on a few other canopies too, but the Tri has been the worst.
However, the solution is very simple. Open up the center cell and pull it down to the slider (or all the way down to the slider rings as I do).
During my first 30 psycho packed jumps, I got slammers like 5 times. With this modification to the packing method, I now got 300+ psycho packed jumps with only sweet openings.

Regarding wear on the canopy. This rumor has been around for many years, but I can't see any wear on any of my canopies. On the Tri 160 its first 200 psycho packed jumps was without a bridle extension. Psycho packing without bridle extension is supposedly making the wear worse. Still, no wear is showing (other than what could be expected by normal use).

- Jacques

Sorry that I don't get exactly what you mean by

"Open up the center cell and pull it down to the slider (or all the way down to the slider rings as I do)."

Could you describe it further, perhaps my english is not good enough. Thank you for your answer

Pedro

HISPA # 18 POPS # 8757

Sorry that I don't get exactly what you mean by

"Open up the center cell and pull it down to the slider (or all the way down to the slider rings as I do)."

Could you describe it further, perhaps my english is not good enough. Thank you for your answer

Pedro

Look at the pictures from the link given by EdC.
Between step 7 & 8, after you put the canopy on the floor, open up the canopy and you will see the air-intakes. Make sure they are symmetrical and open up the center cell and move it below the slider.
And while you have the canopy open, make sure the control lines have not moved in front of the canopy (lineovers are nasty!). Using psycho packing it is possible to check this because you can easily see into the canopy on the floor. This is not possible when pro packing.

- Jacques

If the lines are not controlled carefully, by maintaining appropriate tension on them during the "roll" phase, upon opening shock as they are pulled taught before the canopy has yet fully "unrolled" can cause line-burns (and fairly severe ones dependent upon the amount of "slack" allowed inside the roll) to the canopy. Of course this can happen with either pro or flat packing as well, although it is less likely due to the nature of the way tension is held in the lines during "normal" S-folding. If you are using appropriate "normal" care though, this should not be an issue.

Due to the damage caused by lax pack-jobs done in this fashion, particularly while psycho packing as witnessed by some, as a result has compelled them into reporting that it is the nature of the pack-job itself to cause the damage, which IMHO is NOT the case.

Just my own personal observations/.02 though ...FWIW.

Blue Skies,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Hey!
I started with the pro pack but for some reason I can't get it in the bag... It just slipps out of my hands as I do the S fold.
So I tried the Psycho packing.
In the beginning before I got the hang of it I had a bit of weird openings, never hard though.
Now I got the hang of it and it's sooo much easier to pack and bag.
After I flip it upside down and lay it down I open up the sides so I see the Nose and I can fold that how ever I want and control how fast I want it to open.
I usually leave the middle cell all exposed and then the 4 on the left I roll to the left and the ones on the right I roll to the right.
I'm very happy with this packing method.
If it tears more on your parachute, I don't know.
And at this moment I don't care because it's easy to pack B|
Skydivers are a bunch of insensitive jerks...
And that's why I don't skydive anymore!

Put a bridle extender between the attachment on the canopy and the bridle. This will allow you to not have to pull topskin fabric to the side. This seems address the biggest concern that most people have when they watch or do a "psycho" pack.

I have packed many many many rigs with this type of pack and have had good results. Personally I think the the other advantage to the extender is that is makes it easier to pack when doing the roll...

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Is psycho packing only for smaller canopies??? (someone mentioned that to me when i told them I was thinking of learning to Psycho pack)

That's how I packed my Sabre 210 and it's how I pack my Stiletto 190.

The size doesn't make a difference.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

I tried rolling the nose into the center cell and then rolling it up...
Jumped it and had a nice twist that swung me around on opening...
Don't think I will be stowing the nose like that any more...

My general concern had to do with whether the the fabric is exposed to greater wear due to the way you roll the canopy into the bag?