SLOfreefall

Ground Crew?

There are many jumps where ground crew are needed. Some jumps simply cannot be done without GC and there are also some where you wouldn't want crew.

Ground crew can act as drivers, lookouts, mark landing areas, survey current conditions in the landing area, provide immediate aid to the first jumpers on the load in the event of an injury... Ground crew's main purpose is to logistically support the jump.

Basically, a gang of tasks. Any non-jumping role on a load is referred to as ground crew. Sometimes the need for ground crew is so vital that jumpers will have to fill the slots if no GC is available.

There are several more responsibilities of ground crew that I think would be left off this forum (PM me for more detailed information) but I think you get the idea.

Ground crew can actually be a very important aspect of jump planning. Solid ground crew is hard to come by. There are several qualities you will want to look for when sizing up potential GC.

*Rock solid dependability. If they say they're gonna do something, they come through.
*Non-whuffo attitude.
*Ability to keep their mouths shut and not spray facts to others. (Skydivers included.)
*Make sure they're not there to just get video, you'll want them focused on their assigned tasks. Sometimes the crew will be in a place where they can't even see the jump.
*Basic first aid skills, I recommend an EMT basic course which can be taken at most junior colleges. Or if you live local to me (Seattle when I return from overseas) I will take a day to show you basic first aid, patient assessment, and CPR skills.
*Genuine interest in the sport goes a long way

There are other qualities but these are a good start.

The point of a ground crew ? Operate video and film cameras . Serve as lookouts . Drive multiple getaway vans . Call for help when there is a injury . On B jumps a ground crew is very important especilly if you want to get away without going to jail .

What is the point of ground crew?

For people like myself looking to start BASE, it gives us a chance to see what it is about. Just looking at the kewl videos on the net doesn't tell the whole story - all the work these guys put into making a jump. Driving far distances only to be weathered out etc. Doing ground crew definitely takes away the whole 'glamour' impression you might get if your only involvement with BASE is what you read/see on the net.

Also, doing ground crew means that you get to meet quite a few jumpers in person and ask a lot of questions. Decide if it is really something you want to do and not something your ego wants you to do. Doing ground crew also means that if/when you start jumping yourself you are already known and have built up a certain level of trust. You are not just some newbie who just did a FJC and now expects a VIP guided tour to all the local sites.

It takes time to build up that trust with jumpers, but what I have found personally both here and in South Africa is that when you have shown yourself to be serious about starting BASE and are doing so in a responsible manner, then the locals will generally be quite helpful.

Will

they can be ready whith beers if you have a loong walk to the cars:P,but main as described above

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

What is a good way of getting involved as ground crew?
...FUN FOR ALL!

What is a good way of getting involved as ground crew?

If I'm understanding your question right......

depending on your geographical location, I bet there are jumpers near you looking for ground crew. If you are serious about wanting to ground crew, let it be known, in a public forum such as this, or over on BLINC. Just because you may not hear by word of mouth around your DZ about BASE jumpers looking for ground crew, that dosen't mean there isn't someone near you looking, but being very discrete.

I once contacted a person for ground crew who over a year ago posted on a forum about wanting to ground crew in my location.

My hat goes off to the ground crew!!;) I've never done it, and to be honest, I don't think I could. I'm too much of a chicken.:$

Rod

If you are serious about wanting to ground crew, let it be known, in a public forum such as this

Why do you think I posted;)
...FUN FOR ALL!

Any chance you could send me your avatar image? It looks pretty cool and I'd like to put it up as wallpaper on my laptop. :o)

Speaking of that avatar...Is there a standard distance between red stripes/ white stripes on A's in the U.S.? Between the lights at night?
...FUN FOR ALL!

Any chance you could send me your avatar image?

Yes, If you'll be my driver.LOL!!

Let me see if I can dig it up....

Speaking of that avatar...Is there a standard distance between red stripes/ white stripes on A's in the U.S.? Between the lights at night?

I don't think so. More importantly, I don't know.

I've jumped 600' A's with six stripes, and 450' A's with six stripes.

Your best bet is to walk up to the gate and write down the site #, then look the site # up on one of the tower search websites. They are fairly accurate.

Rod

What is the point of ground crew?

New BASE jumpers should watch BASE in person before doing it. Plus, someone's gotta be a bitch. Right now, that's me.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Your best bet is to walk up to the gate and write down the site #, then look the site # up on one of the tower search websites. They are fairly accurate.

Aviation sectionals and TACs are also very good for researching potential targets. ;)

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

sure I'll be your driver... the first time we go ;o) hey, mebbe you need a pilot instead?!?