TomAiello

Darwin Candidate, Part II, aka BASE Nazi Rant

This past week, we were jumping a large TV tower (2000'), with an elevator. There were five of us, ranging from just over 100 jumps to just under 1000, and we encountered various other jumpers from time to time, as we were touring a very crowded bit of the BASE world.

Anyway, we had four jumpers on the elevator, and were all set to get to altitude, and put the elevator to bed before the sun rose, then wait for the light and make a dawn load.

As the elevator reached 1000' or so, two canopies opened pretty much right in front of it--at around 800'.

They were pretty logo canopies, apparently sponsored by a major snowboarding company (I don't snowboard, but I think that's what "Burton" makes).

These two pretty canopies were opening in the upwind sector of the tower, and being blown back into the tower and the guy wires. The jumpers had exited directly into a 30 mph headwind, turning a super safe, easy object into an object strike nightmare. Obviously, they missed Outrager's BLiNC post on Jumping Towers in Wind (he posts as "Yuri" over there).

The first jumper fought the wind a bit, and pretty much floated straight down, landing just in front of the guy wires.

The second jumper had a 90 degree off-heading, and as he struggled to turn his canopy, he was blown between the guy wires of the tower.

It was pure, dumb luck that he survived. I was amazed that he hadn't struck the wires, and gotten to ride them 700' to the ground, thereby injuring (truthfully, probably killing) himself, and likely putting our lovely little elevator off limits for quite some time.

From my vantage point (on the ground, bedding down the elevator), I saw the openings, and the resultant wind-driven canopy flights.

A bit worried, I hurried over to talk to the jumpers (who I did not know).

A bit of our dialogue:

ME: So, um, how much experience do you guys have?

WIRE RIDER: Lots! I have two or three hundred skydives, and that was my fifteenth BASE jump.

ME: Fifteen jumps?

WIRE RIDER: Yeah, but Rip has almost fifty--he's teaching me. Did you see my jump? Wasn't it great?

ME: Um, well, you really ought to jump into the downwind sector of the tower. That way the wind pushes you away from it.

WIRE RIDER: Yeah, but did you see my jump--I mean it was awesome, wasn't it?

ME: And most people try to pull a bit lower--that way the wind is weaker, and doesn't effect your opening that much.

WIRE RIDER: Lower? Man, we're pulling lower than anyone I've ever seen.

ME: Who are you jumping with?

WIRE RIDER: We're from Tahoe. We've got sponsors.

ME: Hey, do you guys want to go and grab some breakfast with us? Maybe talk about this a bit?

WIRE RIDER: Nah, we've got it under control.

ME: Just try to be careful. You really ought to jump downwind.

WIRE RIDER: Yeah, whatever, man. We're sponsored.

So, I get home, make a few phone calls and figure out who the jumpers were. I am informed, quite curtly, that they were perfectly safe, and I ought to mind my own business.

Oh, well. I guess I'll go quietly mind my business, then.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Yeah,
it sucks Tom, but some people....me especially can't take a hint. Why take advice when accidents are so much funner?
I am talking shit, as I think taking headwinds are STUPID, but who am I to say?
To each their own, right?
Thank you for trying to talk to these BASE'rs. But, not all BASE'rs are so willing to accept input or thought from another viewpoint.
I may have disregarded some input, but I may have heeded some.
Who knows. Only the jumper. To each his own, right?
Something about burning sites (inserted here)
and what happens...and how much burned sites are apprecitated.....
You meant well, but some people don't always listen (raising hand).
Thanks for trying,
Thomas

Tom in the few base jumps i have done ground crew and vid for i have seen twice where the jumpers climbed down because they felt conditions were not right. I believe your questioning and feelings were inline. Having a "whatever" attitude can get you killed in both skydiving and base.
It takes courage to jump from somthing but it takes bigger courage to know when not to jump.

thanks for the post.
if my calculations are correct SLINKY + ESCULATOR = EVERLASTING FUN
my site

If you hadn't prefaced that post with the background, I would have sworn that that exchange was a parody.

I'm literally slack-jawed that there are people out there with attitudes like that.

And unfortunately, it's people like that who are going to ruin things for the rest of us. >:(

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Yo Tom,

Is this the thread you're referring to?

- Z

That's pretty much the same stock lecture. I bet he gets tired of giving it. I've put the link into my rant.

Thanks!
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Tom

Please be advised that some people listen to what you say very intently. Don't stop giving the beta.B|

Rat for Life - Fly till I die
When them stupid ass bitches ask why

I have never done any BASE but I can see that attitude getting me nowhere.

I will watch closely for this guys' obits. They obviously haven't learned that stupid hurts. And that it can be permanent.

P.S. I wonder if their "sponsors" will pay for their funerals?
S.E.X. party #2

..It is far worse to live with fear, than to die confronting it.

I wonder if their "sponsors" will pay for their funerals?

Wonder if they have sponsors at all...Well if they have the sponsors will be disapointed im sure>:(

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Wrong people to sponsor. I won't buy another Burton product because of them. And they make great gloves, too.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

What a waste,just to show what kind of people that can damage our way of life!!! Don' they want to learn the right way to do it????just way to sad!!!! The only way they'll learn is by death,and that will hurt our way of life!!!!!>:(

[QUOTE]Please be advised that some people listen to what you say very intently. Don't stop giving the beta.[/QUOTE]

I second that. Tom, great job trying to talk to these guys, maybe get a phone number or an email and try to further prompt discussion. Maybe they were hard to talk to right after their jump because they were so pumped, etc, maybe later they would be more approachable. It is your site too, imo, more so yours since you are jumping it correctly. But, regardless, you rock for helping people understand how to BASE jump correctly and safely (as possible).B|

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

Wrong people to sponsor. I won't buy another Burton product because of them. And they make great gloves, too.

Anyone have any thoughts on the usefulness of some sort of concerted lobby to Burton to let them know exactly what they are sponsoring and the dangers these people present to:

1. Themselves;
2. The BASE community; and
3. Burton's reputation (especially if they burn in).

If these guys are as full of themselves as they appear to be, they probably blew a bunch of smoke to Burton, who wouldn't know any better.

Seems like "educating" Burton might not be a bad idea (but I'm not always the most politically savvy person).

- Z

Unfuckinreal.

BASE jumping is a terrible sport to go into with any kind of hot-headed attitude (I imagine since I haven't jumped yet). It is right in line with other sports like backcountry skiing or climbing where getting into the moment without first respecting the moment will CERTAINLY bite you in the ass at one point. No thanks.

BTW - why would a snowboarding company sponsor someone most likely participating in an illegal proposition? I just find that to be highly unlikely. Perhaps they were just shit talkers that really can't ride a snowboard or a set of skis to save their lives.

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

...concerted lobby to Burton...

I thought a lot about this a few years ago when a Red Bull sponsored jumper was on tour, burning quite a few objects around the world.

My eventual thought was that I'd rather not involve non-jumpers (of any kind) in what is essentially a BASE matter. I just saw at as too short a step from there to things like calling the cops on a fellow jumper because you disagreed with them.

I'm not absolutely certain how I feel about it, but I am a bit worried about the slippery slope that you start down when you invoke outside authorities.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

For those of you who've seen FIXED 2!, remember the "CARNAGE TIME" jumper who smacked into the antenna about 2 seconds after opening? Then he bounced off it a few times, broke some lines, ripped his canopy, and barely lived.

Well, this guy just so happened to be jumping INTO the wind. He hasn't BASE'd since the accident.

Have a nice day;)

(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted.

I also have a not completely likely, but possible, theory. I've actually seen this many times. Some people will claim to be sponsored by a company in an unrelated sport, logos on their gear and everything. The reality is they just had logos put on and then claim that they're sponsored. One particular character (skydiver) claimed to be sponsored by Ducati, and Ducato all over his gear. Turned out that not only was he not sponsored at all, but his logbook was "padded" about fivefold (discovered when he tried to get ratings and manifest/DZ knew he didn't have the jumps he claimed).

In snowboarding, you come across a lot of people who will buy a ton of Forum or Burton or M3, and then claim to be sponsored.

Not saying that these guys aren't sponsored, but just that it isn't impossible. Either way, they're fucking yahoo jackasses that are nothing but hurt to themselves, fellow BASErs, BASE, and their supposed sponsor.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Sent a little note to the marketing boys at Burton.
Ain't buying another Burton bit if they are sponsering these goons.
You probably know how I (and others) feel about idiots like this invovling themselves in any sport.
God knows I know nothing, but I know to listen to those with a little more respect for the sport, not to mention a little more experience.....
Rant for the day: Learn from other people's experiences, you won't live long enough to make 'em all yourself.
nb it probably helps if you have the humility to learn from their mistakes and advice.....>:(

xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

I find it funny when a young lad is ranting and raving on the lift ride up at a local resort about how bad ass they are and this and that and how their sponsor blah blah blah and I usually have a six pack and a smoke or two in me and can ride faster and safer than they can even come close to... Not tooting my own horn here, but there is a common thread in those types. They THINK they are the SHIT and ultimately get themselves hurt trying to live up to that. These people don't seem to want to learn/listen EVER. One of the reasons I desire to eventually do a BASE jump or a hundred is because I realize that in this sport, the people that really participate in it regulary seem to be nothing but open minded in educating and bringing along a young guy/gal. Again, I've never jumped, but I am simply blown away how people like Tom and DDog and Skinflicka and so on and so forth are very forthcoming with information for someone to help them live the next jump. It also reminds me that this is really perhaps one of the very few sports out there that cannot be done for the look of it. You have to be totally commited to the technical aspects of it or it will burn you, not if, just when is the question. That aspect of the sport both scares me and draws me towards it. I imagine that being able to fully ascertain a LZ on my own would feel quite similar to being able to make life and death decisions in the backcountry when a big ass avalanche may cover ones ass up deep.

On another note, Burton does make some very decent products and I really hope those jokers weren't truly sponsored by them. I've personally met Jake a few times and he seems to be nothing short of a gentlemen in terms of the quality of the product he's trying to produce and the safety of his friends while playing in the backcountry. He reminds me alot of Brian Germain. The few times I've met Brian, he's been nothing bur forthcoming with information to help me along in a safe and productive manner.

Blu skies soft landings...

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

"Skinflicka and so on and so forth are very forthcoming with information..."

Someimes I think Skinflicka may be too forthcoming with information (some of his favorite animal threads come to mind).
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

I also have a not completely likely, but possible, theory. I've actually seen this many times. Some people will claim to be sponsored by a company in an unrelated sport, logos on their gear and everything. The reality is they just had logos put on and then claim that they're sponsored. One particular character (skydiver) claimed to be sponsored by Ducati, and Ducato all over his gear. Turned out that not only was he not sponsored at all, but his logbook was "padded" about fivefold (discovered when he tried to get ratings and manifest/DZ knew he didn't have the jumps he claimed).

That's funny. I know who you're talking about (we're talking Californa here, right?). A bunch of us from the DZ were doing water training in a pool at someones house and he was there. The water in the pool was cold, but not too bad. I was swimming around in the water and when I swam past him I heard him say that the water was the coldest he'd ever experienced since his "special forces training" or something like that. He was shivvering and complaining in a way that I suspect that someone who had been in the special forces wouldn't... :-)

The reality is they just had logos put on

well im not sponsered,of 2 reasons
1 im not good enough to that
2 im not sure i want to,im not sure i would feel free(you know the responserbility that follows)

BUT i wear stickers from different manufactores(only thouse who i use gear from)I think its a collorfull way to tell im proud of the stuff i use.

But from there and then to say"im sponsored bla bla" i think theres a loong way.and see on reasson to say so..In a world like BASE i think liers get kicked out pretty fast.

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

In a world like BASE i think liers get kicked out pretty fast.

too true!

i know of a jumper who met someone who "boasted" about the BASE jumps they had done not knowing he was a jumper - he asked the right questions about the objects apparently jumped and guess what! that guy did not come back to that DZ in a hurry!

heheheheh - it is easy to tell i beleive!

;)

Again, I've never jumped, but I am simply blown away how people like Tom and DDog and Skinflicka and so on and so forth are very forthcoming with information for someone to help them live the next jump.

I'd like to hightlight a couple of things. Firstly, Skypuppy, the guinea pig is not my favorite animal. I only use them for sex.

Secondly, I'd like point out that I am indeed forthcoming with info if it'll save some pain but I will not encourage anyone to BASE jump for the first time. I hope my attitude towards newbies is well understood. You're all fuckin' mental. Why would you want to do this to yourselves?

Think it through. It could all go to hell on your first jump. Oops!

Skinfull.
$kin.

Prizes to anyone who gets to read my posts before Mr Aiello's son, Tom deletes them.

Some people will claim to be sponsored by a company in an unrelated sport, logos on their gear and everything. The reality is they just had logos put on and then claim that they're sponsored.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that in this case RIP, the "instructor", really was sponsored by a snowboard manufacturer, in years (many of them, actually) past, even if he's not on their "official team" this year.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

RIP.jpg