Go_Higher

Leg straps are KILLING me!

So I just finished AFF lvl 5, and I have GOT to do something about these student rigs... these leg straps are KILLING me on opening, and continue tor hurt all the way down. Right on the inner thigh, all the way up to my crotch... And I'm pretty much riding on the webbing, and not the pad. Makes for a very painful and unenjoyable canopy ride. I know the whole student "one size fits none" jazz... but I've got to find a way to make these more comfortable, because god knows that I'm not going to quit! But god also knows that I won't have the money to buy my own rig (hopefully much more comfy) for another 6 months or so. [:/]

Anyone have any suggestions?

During my AFF all the way through about 4 or 5 I thought I was bleeding on my inner thigh. I would have to go check to make sure I didn't have a gash because it felt like I did. I have gotten used to it since but I still get bruises sometimes, not even close to as bad as it was at first though. I can spiral now but when I started I thought the straps were going to cut my legs off. Suggestion wise you would have to ask some of the other guys or gals on here, I was just saying I know EXACTLY how you feel :S

There was another thread about this a while back. One of the better recommendations was to buy a seatbelt pad (from an aftermarket auto parts store), but it in half (length wise) and put it over the leg straps. It seemed like a pretty good idea, although I've yet to have seen it done.

Talk to your instructors about this, they may like that option or they may have some other options for ya to try.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Are you strapping in tight enough? I know at first it seems like a bad suggestion at first, but once upon a time I had the same problems. I didn't tighten the leg straps very much because I didn't want to be uncomfortable in the harness, but they kept killing my legs. Turns out the extra slack I was leaving in the straps was tightening up all at once on opening, which was why it hurt so bad. I started making sure they were fully tight before I jumped, so there's no extra jerk on opening.

And yes, student rigs are rather uncomfortable. When you buy your own rig, hopefully you'll get one that's sized for you.

Matt
-----

I'll share my experience with AFF (which I'm not through yet) and the student rigs.

My first jump went really well. I pulled, chute opened, no discomfort or anything. I thought, "well, that was easy." So, I think I got a little too overconfident for my second jump.

On the second jump, I waved off, pulled, and SLAM! The insides of my legs were hurting, and I could hardly deal with it on the way down. I was just thinking, "get me down from here so I can get out of this harness!" I had intended on doing two AFF jumps that day, and we didn't have time, but had we had time, there would have been no way I would've gotten in a harness again that day. I was hurting too badly. However, I feel that the reason I got slammed and hurt the second time is because I was overconfident from my first jump and I slightly de-arched and pulled the PC in a less than optimal position.

With this in mind, I did AFF3. This time I was very deliberate about waving off in a very controlled fashion, reaching back to grab the PC handle while I was carefully maintaining my arch, looking at the horizon and keeping my shoulders square and level. Threw out the PC and brought my right arm around front maintaining level shoulders, and I had a very smooth and comfortable opening.

I'm not a big fan of student rigs either, but I think that perhaps the rigs get blamed for uncomfortable openings when the issue very well may not be the rig.

When you're doing AFF, you really don't know very well what you're doing, and you haven't had time to develop good habits yet, so the only help I could offer would be to be extra deliberate about good form and body position when you are deploying your chute. Hopefully that will go a long way toward making your opening more comfortable until you get through AFF.

Good luck. I'll be trying to do the same as I work through my AFF jumps as well!

Dave

Bicycle shorts were recommended to me as they are heavily padded in the crotch and inner thighs.

For the future I CAN say for sure that a sport rig built to your own specs is FAR FAR FAR more comfy.
There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Tie your legstraps together with a pull up cord, this prevents them from sliding down your legs in freefall and then slamming back up when the canopy opens. If you are small like me you will never get those leg straps tight enough and this really prevents them from being where they shouldn't be when the canopy opens.

just remember to tuck the bow under one of the legstraps.
Fly it like you stole it!

Bicycle shorts were recommended to me as they are heavily padded in the crotch and inner thighs.

I have tried that, I think you will not find anywhere near enough padding from bicycle shorts.

Try wearing 2 or 3 pairs of denim jeans/shorts under your jumpsuit.

Rocky Kenoyer, who set the 24 hr jump record (think it was ~400, not recognized due to 1500 ft exit alt), had a 'girdle' set of shorts made of a thick, firm padding material.

You could get a rigger to tack down some really firm padding to a pair of jeans/shorts

I had my Tony suit made with extra padding in the crotch.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Had the same problem on student gear... Tries the bike shorts (no help really) tried multiple layers (not much help.... Bought inexpensive rig $2200 new ordered it to fit me and havn't had a problem since. I now look forward to being under canopy.
Blue ones
Jim

Yeah SkyCat, I tried that tie thing once and it left me singing falsetto, as it tended to shift the brunt force directly onto my boys. Good advice for girls though probably.
I had those same bruises you speak of after every AFF jump until I got my own rig. It has padded leg straps that are custom fit and I haven't had any brusing/pain on opening since. I know that doesn't help you now, but know that it will go away when you get youre own stuff. Til then, ice and lots of beer afterwards.

I suspect that your problem is not tightening your leg straps UP in your crotch.
The trick is to pull your leg straps UP as you tighten them, so they rest against your pelvis/crotch.
To that end, I always tighten leg straps on tandem students, then step behind them, grab their harness by the hip junctions and lift them off the floor.
This silliness pulls their legs straps tight UP in their crotch, eliminating 90% of bruises.

(sundevill777) Try wearing 2 or 3 pairs of denim jeans/shorts under your jumpsuit.

This might just be a a result of my rig being just a little too small for me but when I wear lots of clothing in the winter, the opening shock is transfered to my balls, rather than on my legs. I imagine it would work better if the material weren't all bunched up.

Edit:

(Skycat) Tie your legstraps together with a pull up cord...

I think someone else said a bit about tying to the straps together for guys. As you see in your picture, the straps are held together more at the bottom, so that means the tops of the straps cram right into your sack. Better for guys to connect them with bungie stitched to the top part of the strap.

Edit#2 (couldn't let this one go by untouched):

(ifics) I would have to go check to make sure I didn't have a gash because it felt like I did.

This is true, you have a gash, quit whinning and cook dinner.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Turns out the extra slack I was leaving in the straps was tightening up all at once on opening, which was why it hurt so bad.

I beleive what is actually happening, is by not tightening the leg straps, you aren't letting the harness absorb the shock for you... the canopy stands up your harness, and you slam into the legstraps, rather than get supported by them. I don't know if the wording here is clear or not, but the leg straps definately won't tighten up on opening.

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

ALERT!!!! NEWBIE ADVICE!!!!

Okay, I have no right to give it, other than this...

I experienced it multiple times, and finally "dialed it out", and heres what you have to do.

Tighten it down to the point that it's almost uncomfortable, seat it high on the groin, where it will stay... And crank it down...

It worked for me, doesnt pinch/bite me anymore and my thighs aren't screaming anymore!

Good Luck

Jack
It's a gas, gas, gas...

Tighten it down to the point that it's almost uncomfortable,

That is the exact wording I tell all of my students.

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".