nebug

Bye Bye Shoe

Maybe a dumb question. I just came back to the sport after a long layout. Yesterday, as I was getting out, I lost my right shoe. :$I waited a couple of seconds and then left. Is something like as freefalling shoe a hazard to be concerned about to a jumper in freefall?

Tie your shoes tighter, double knotted, and tuck the laces in.

Not sure what the effects on a freefalling shoe would be, but I'd rather not find out.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

>Is something like as freefalling shoe a hazard to be concerned about to a
>jumper in freefall?

Potentially, yes. But Perris is littered with shoes (lost primarily during 8-way exits by inside rear) and haven't had a problem yet.

I wouldn't want to smack it in freefall. However, I lose no sleep about it.

CReW dogs lose shoes frequently, sometimes by accident, sometimes as a deliberate effort to clear a wrap. That is why they are often seen wearing mis-matched shoes. Before boarding the plan"e to do my first CReW downplane, my partner said.... If you pull off my shoe, please hang on to it and give it back to me after landing."
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I almost lost my shoe on my last jump. It was for my SCR jump and I was diving the door on the lead plane. I guess I hit my shoe on the door when I was leaving and it caused me to do some flips on exit but I still flew to my spot and had a successful SCR jump! The only reason I didn't lose it is because it got stuck in my booties

Maybe a dumb question. I just came back to the sport after a long layout. Yesterday, as I was getting out, I lost my right shoe. :$I waited a couple of seconds and then left. Is something like as freefalling shoe a hazard to be concerned about to a jumper in freefall?

Too bad this didn't happen at Zhills when Frenchy was there. You'd have your shoe back in a week or two ...three tops.:)

A few years ago a guy had a shoe come off at a DZ around here. A local neighbor brought it back to the airport. He said a shoe fell from the sky into his yard and it didn't take long to figure out where it came from.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

Make sure before you jump that you use the laces to tie both shoes together. That they they will stay together as a pair. The shoes often end up snagged on neighborhood powerlines.

So ...how would one know whether the shoes were marking a gang's territorial boundaries or were from skydiver that packed a slammer?

Make sure before you jump that you use the laces to tie both shoes together. That they they will stay together as a pair. The shoes often end up snagged on neighborhood powerlines.

So ...how would one know whether the shoes were marking a gang's territorial boundaries or were from skydiver that packed a slammer?

Either they're skater shoes, or they're Jordans.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

After losing a shoe in freefall, immediately kick the other one off. That way, someone on the ground will at least find a pair.

When I jumped at Tecumseh years back, they had a tree on the DZ from which was hung quite a number of odd shoes. I was told that whenever someone lost a shoe in freefall they added the other (now useless) one to the collection. Not sure how true that was, but it was a nice idea.

>Is something like as freefalling shoe a hazard to be concerned about to a
>jumper in freefall?

Potentially, yes. But Perris is littered with shoes (lost primarily during 8-way exits by inside rear) and haven't had a problem yet.

110 8-way exits last year as inside rear and I never lost a shoe. Managed to lose my right one launching a 4-way chunk on Saturday.[:/]

I think a contributing factor was the shoe style. Last year I wore lace-up Skechers, double knotted. Those finally bit the dust so I was wearing a pair of slip-ons that just had a tension cord to tighten them. That exit might have pulled off a tightly-laced pair, but I think the style contributed to the problem.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Years ago, I exited near the end of a DC-3 load. As I was in a head-down dive toward the far-away base, I saw something moving between myself and the base. Before I could react, or even realize what it was, a shoe passed me at what looked like the speed of light. It was only after it had passed, that I was even consciously aware that it had been a shoe.

That would have been a tough one to take between the eyes.B|

Kevin K.

Some years ago a fellow lost both(!) shoes in freefall. (Don't ask me why and how, don't even wanna know it.)
I wasn't on the DZ at that weekend and but already got to know about the incident from the newspaper on Monday: The lunatic thought the shoes might have fallen onto the roof of a big shopping mall nearby and climed on the roof late at night. Was spotted by someone who called the police. Story ended on first page of the local news. When I came to work I got asked whether I was the person... >:(
The local anti-skydive action group took advantage of the incident and wrote two letters to the editor expressing their fear and concerns about being hit by objects falling down on innocent citizens.

That is why I always check my tandem students' shoes for tight fit, double-knotted shoe laces tucked in. B|

The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

Nice he kept the shoe.

I was doing a "Simon Says" jump with an almost licensed student. I did a center point turn and he grabbed my foot as it went by, pulling my brand new, just bought 'em that day, NB tennis show off.

The panicky look on his face was priceless when I finished the turn and he was staring at my shoe in his hand unable to process WTF he should do.

I took it away from him and we continued on with the jump.

:D
Owned by Remi #?