TomAiello

Naming Names

As far as I know there has never been a case where someone who just lives nearby, finds a rig, and goes ahead and hurts or kills themselves.

As far as I know, this has actually happened in Washington, involving Ebay and a much lower bridge a few miles from where the poor jumper should have been. I'm sure somebody can fill us in...

But I agree; the main reason for not naming names is in my opinion to prevent jumpers going there without the required background knowledge (access guidelines, best times to jump it, potential dangers).

That could lead you to think it just might be a good idea to lean over the rail and look down before you jump....
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

As far as I know there has never been a case where someone who just lives nearby, finds a rig, and goes ahead and hurts or kills themselves.

As far as I know, this has actually happened in Washington, involving Ebay and a much lower bridge a few miles from where the poor jumper should have been. I'm sure somebody can fill us in...

That could lead you to think it just might be a good idea to lean over the rail and look down before you jump....

Actually, I think the lesson there was "have some idea of how long it takes a parachute to open, and what constitutes an acceptable landing area." I'm pretty sure that even had that guy leaned over and looked (I'm actually assuming he did), he would have had no idea whether or not that bridge looked good.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

NickDG,

"damaging the image.." may have been poorly phrased. Any publicity of unapproved activities is bad for the activity, whether good or bad. Ideally there would be no reason for anyone other than successful jumpers to know that a jump has been done.

As far as BASE being secret in light of all the film clips, etc. on TV, I think that most people are of the opinion that it is only practiced on rare occasions by "stuntpersons" for special event or movie footage. The frequency of jumps and the number of persons associated with BASE are most certainly not well known. The first time I crossed Sx just after it was built, my first thought was that it would be a great place for jumping. It was not until ~20 yrs. later, after meeting BASE#XXX, that I found out it is regularly done. Ditto for an A and an E.

More interesting, though, are your comments about "the old days" (not quoting) and now. Mainstreaming and public acceptance of an activity are not necessarily good for the activity, especially when sites are so limited and the results of either poor performance or bad luck are so severe. It would be interesting to see a thread on the future of the activity concentrating on how mainstreaming and public acceptance might be in conflict with the philosophy of most practitioners, who are definitely NOT in it for publicity, accepted or not.

Thanks

Jim

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG