fallman

1st rig purchase-how to avoid gettin ripped off?

I am a beginning level skydiver looking to purchase my first rig. I heard the classifieds on this site are the best way to get a good deal on gear but how can i be sure that i'm not gettin ripped off? How can i tell if the person i am buying from is reputable or not?

woa....that was cool....

Talk to someone with experience about the gear you are interested in. Then if you think you want to purchase it have the seller send it to your rigger. The rigger can inspect the gear and help you determine if the gear is woth the price. This way you are not buying sight unseen, and at worst your out shipping cost if you decide not to purchase it.

I am a beginning level skydiver looking to purchase my first rig. I heard the classifieds on this site are the best way to get a good deal on gear but how can i be sure that i'm not gettin ripped off?

It might be better for you to buy that first rig from a recognized dealer, rather than some guy on the web. A dealer (Sunshine Factory, Square One, etc.) will be able to offer more options and better guidance,as well as better after sale service.

Once you have a bit more experience you will be better able to evaluate gear or sellers of gear, and will be in a better position to search for bargains on the web.

If you absolutely must buy from the web, please talk with your home DZ instructors and riggers and make sure they check out any gear before you make the purchase.

Tom Buchanan
Instructor (AFF, SL, IAD, Tandem)
Author JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy