Zennie

What Should Go In My BASE Goodie Bag?

Skreamer's note about the laser rangefinder brought up an interesting question. If one were to be a BASE gizmo geek, what would one put in one's "goodie bag"? And even without being totally gizmo'd out, what things do you think are essentials?

I'd think a handheld GPS would also be good. What else?

I'm guessing some things probably can't be posted in a public forum, so feel free to PM me with those. ;)

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

I think the rangefinder would be cool. It'd be easier than throwing rocks off things.
-----------------------------------
It's like something out of that twilighty show about that zone

I think the rangefinder would be cool. It'd be easier than throwing rocks off things.

Ya.

Just thought of another one....

Hand-held wind meter.

- Z

Never based but using a kit similar to the one I used for x-country night hikes is probally a bit of the same...

Wind indicators, flashlights (Led ones last forever), glow sticks, whistle (if you get injured you can get hlp that way if you are not knocked out), cell phone, blanket to toss over barbed wire to hop it :)

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Another good one I forgot is a miner's light, preferably with a red filter.

- Z

Wow, that sure is a lot of stuff people are talking about carrying. I don't like to carry that much stuff since I have to climb most of the objects I jump. Every extra thing you carry is extra weight and more importantly extra bulk that inhibits movemnt.

Glow sticks are fun (I'll admit I have worn them to ammuse the ground crew) but not essential. GPS is cool, but if you are doing a building or an antenna or a span...who cares. I think you already know where you are. Range finders are cool, but didn't you already scope the site when you were doing your research, so shouldn't you know how high you are? Flashlights are nice for the ground crew to have for the landing area but I hope you already know the landing area well enough to not need one. Why do you need a flash light on the object? Radios are good, but not essential...I bring them only if I have a ground crew or if I am jumping with someone else and we may have to run/scatter...MIGHT be usefull. The rug is a good idea...but unless you have a ground crew you have to go back to get the rug after you have jumped. IMHO the best BASE jumps are the simple ones.

What you might want to consider carrying is water. You might get thirsty. Bring gloves to protect your hands durning the climb/ going to the exit point. Wear enough clothing to stay warm (never know how long you will be waiting at the exit point). Other than that (and your rig) I don't think you NEED anything else.

What do other people think?
BASE 853

Wow, that sure is a lot of stuff people are talking about carrying.

Yeah, it would be hard to lug all that with you on a jump. My guess is with the possible exception of the radio & wind meter (you could prolly fit those in a fanny pack), everything else would be for scouting or back-country stuff. Maybe a rangefinder if you're on top of a B and don't know the exact height?

- Z

Wow -- I could really go on with this one. I'm a little short on time (got to pack for a jump tonight!) but I'll come back and expand on this a little later.

Good quality Radios: an absolute must. Even if the object is low enough to talk back and forth. Things go wrong in BASE, and sometimes very badly, clear and instant communication will save you in more ways than one. And when you buy them, spend the money to buy 2 or 3 -- you'll need to equip your Ground Crew too.

Rangefinder: most useful gadget next to an ETrex Vista. I can't tell you how many times I've been looking at a new site and thought it wasn't high enough until I pulled out the rangefinder. It takes the guess work right out of it. And if your into jumping things in the 300ft range and below, it sure is nice to know exactly how high the object is. (30ft can make a huge difference when it's 15% of your available altitude)

GPS: it seems that the ETrex Vista is the standard amongst BASE jumpers today. My first real experience with one was in September when I was roaming Europe with Tom. On several occasions, we simply plugged in the coordinates and went on the hunt with GPS in hand. Please keep in mind that this could be deadly in the wrong hands, but both of us have the experience to walk up to a site and evaluate the different variables necessary to jump. At any rate, I went right out and bought one the moment I got back -- and I love it.

Monocular: essential tool that I carry on every jump. Want to know what the breeze is doing on top before you hike up that cliff? Check out the bushes on the ledge with the monocular. Want to know who is in the car that pulled up near the base of the site? Grab the monocular. I think you get the picture.

Collapsible water containers like the Platypus: they fold up really small when you need them to.

Toilet Paper: BASE is the best laxitive in the world. Not to mention that a little square makes a great wind-drift indicator.

Low-profile fanny-pack: something to keep all your gadgets in!

Boots: spend the $$$ and get some of the boots sold by Vertigo or Basic Research. I own a pair from Vertigo and absolutely love them. They're Gore-Tex, no hooks or snag points, contains a "rocker toe" for easier foot launches, and are by far the most supportive boot I've ever seen while still maintaining a decent weight. Consider it a helmet for your ankles.

You may want to consider some wrap-around shades with clear lenses for night jumps. Nothing stinks more than coming in to flare and taking it in the eye from an invisible tree branch.

Petzyl Zipka: ultra small LED headlamp with retractable band...and be sure and pick up a red lens for it.

Very thorough First Aid Kit for the car. You may even want to equip the kit with splints and serious pain medication in the event that your in a very remote place (happens often in BASE)

Goo: there's nothing like a shot of it when you have another 400ft to climb...

Digital Video Camera w/ fire-wire cable: you think skydivers like to see themselves on video? Wait till your around BASE jumpers. Oh my...

Ok. There's more -- but I have to start packing...

:)
Bryan

Digital Video Camera w/ fire-wire cable

No self-respecting freeflier would go without one! ;)

My freefly helmet has a side-mount D-box (it's a Sidewinder LS). Do many BASE jumpers jump side-mounts?

- Z

No self-respecting freeflier would go without one! ;)

unless, of course, that self-respecting freeflyer was just learning how to BASE jump--don't add the camera to your head (especially on the side) on a BASE jump until you are uber comfortable with BASE exits, maneuvering in sub-terminal air, and low(er) speed deployments.
Besides--any self-respecting freeflyer knows which end of the camera is TRULY IMPORTANT to be on!
the huck

Range finders are cool, but didn't you already scope the site when you were doing your research, so shouldn't you know how high you are

On quite a few sites I exit at multiple altitudes. A range finder is great for that. I can stow it on my chest strap when need be. Depending on who you are jumping with 700 ft climb may be the norm and others it may be 350 ft :)

In my bag: Breakcord just in case, small flash light, compass (for guy wire directions), caribeener (sp?), radios.

One of the most important things people are forgetting is shin/knee protection, elbows, and a helmet. Hitting any of these body parts under canopy or landing could potentially take you out of the game!!! It can take a boo-boo and turn it into a serious problem.
I personally take everything including the kitchen sink on BASE jumps. I can even fit a full Dainese body armor suit under my wingsuit.(ask BPS ..... he almost laughed himself off the exit point last time he saw me suit up.)
Just my .02$$
Jay E.
www.adrenalineexploits.com
Jay Epstein Ramirez

don't add the camera to your head (especially on the side) on a BASE jump until you are uber comfortable with BASE exits, maneuvering in sub-terminal air, and low(er) speed deployments

Good points. Scratch the helmet cam for the time being. ;)

Besides--any self-respecting freeflyer knows which end of the camera is TRULY IMPORTANT to be on!

BWAHAHAHA! Yep! The freeflier's mantra: "It's all about the video." Me on the video, that is. B|

- Z

full Dainese body armor suit

PLEASE post a pic of that! :D

HISPA 21
www.panamafreefall.com

I use a safety jacket on gnarley ones.....it actually fits underneath anything I normally jump.
Check out this link....
http://www.go-ride.com/prod_armor_dainese.html

I found mine at a bike swap for about 150.
Jay E.
Jay Epstein Ramirez

full Dainese body armor suit

PLEASE post a pic of that! :D

http://www.motorace.com/body_safety/body_safety.htm

I'm a big believer in body armor. Everyone at the cave kept giving me funny looks for it last week. On the other hand, I believe I heard that Slim thinks he'd be dead now if he wasn't wearing a full suit of Dainese armor when he had his wall strike.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I have a device from Brunton called a Sherpa that I take on most flicks. It has an altimeter accurate to within 3 feet (1 meter), a wind meter, thermometer that calculates wind chill and a barometer with a read out of the last 16 hours so you can tell if a high or low pressure front is moving in.... and the whole thing is the size of a pocket knife. If you want to put it on your Christmas list, here's some info:
http://www.brunton.com/catalog.php?category_id=2&subcategory_id=4&item_id=47&old_category_id=2&old_subcategory_id=4

"Ignorance is bliss" and "Patience is a virtue"... So if you're stupid and don't mind waiting around for a while, I guess you can have a pretty good life!

I came oh so close to buying one of the Sherpas when I was out at one of the outdoor shops recently. Had to pass cuz I had just purchased a bunch of other stuff. :P

- Z

i have a altimeter in my whatch,tested on the Dz to be sure of its reality(its god whith in 5m/15ft)
My cellphone.Gloves while climing,clothes,that can breath.My rig and my good spirit..

About the camera on the head.It looks cool while you shoot bacwards(so you see the objekt),bu i do belive its dangerus to the neck,also i have ruined one camera,by getting the wide angel linse in the risers.If you should have a camera on your head,then rember a cut to the helmet..
I more like my mount on my wrist,made by 2 old winther divingglowes(*neoprene),but thats a kind of Ego-recording,but fun to wach.
Have fun!!!
Faber

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Forgot...
a beer afther the jump is not in the way,just dont bring it up at the objekt;)
Faber

Stay safe
Stefan Faber