Zenister

Determining Fall Delay

i been reading lots of BASE incidents and jump logs lately and was wondering if there is a standard way to determine the fall delay?

given that some jumpers will be better trackers than others what do you use as an average acceleration rate?

Is this sort of what you're looking for?

BASE Delay Chart

I always feel like I'm intruding in here, since I'm not a BASE jumper, but I've done a ton of research. :)

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

I believe what you're looking for can be found at the U.K. base site...www.basejumper.org
Go to the "base info" section, and you'll find a freefall chart.
You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone.

The other chart is good too (printed 'em all out), but strictly for calculating delay, this is probably closest to what we're after.

This chart is good for a couple of things. Determining delay, obviously, but also as a yardstick for determining altitude on a new object. One of the Blinc articles I was reading talked about dropping a rock and counting the seconds to impact. Using that in conjunction with this chart should give you a rough guesstimate of height.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Other things determine freefall delay as well. Winds and distance to the landing area are also things to consider. On a 600 ft object you may can only take 1 second slider off where as on another similar object a 4 - 5 second slider on could be appropriate.

Other things determine freefall delay as well. Winds and distance to the landing area are also things to consider. On a 600 ft object you may can only take 1 second slider off where as on another similar object a 4 - 5 second slider on could be appropriate.

I hope if you take 5 secs slider up from a 600' object, you are over water and wearing indestructible diapers. And if you take 5 secs slider "on", but not up, be prepared to land on 3 or 4 cells.
be careful.

I always feel like I'm intruding in here, since I'm not a BASE jumper, but I've done a ton of research. :)

Absolutely not. Thanks for your contributions!

Your attention to detail is a good sign...

Blue Skies,

Bryan

I don't know what base jumpers do for figuring out wind (anyone?) but I had an idea. Bring a bag of flour and cut a hole in it, drop it off the side. That way you can see swirls, etc. and you can get a better idea for what's going on. Get three people to observe, one from above dropping, one directly out in front, one 90 degrees. Voila..

I'm looking forward to my first jump at Bridge Day next year. I'll maybe even do a FJC earlier in the year. Depends on money.

Regards,
Doug
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

That's not a bad idea. But it might be hard to see what it's doing at night, which is when we do a lot of our jumps.

My mentor takes a small plastic bag (like the kind you get at the grocery store) up, tears off little pieces and lets them go. He'll do that at varying heights to get a full picture of what's going on.

- Z

Or you can be simple and just spit over the edge and watch how it falls. This is really good if you are kinda tired from the climb (assuming A here) and you kinda have that thick sliva. Even better if you can get it to kinda "string" out of your mouth, almost like a wind sock. Cigerettes work nice too cause you can see the glow as they get blown away.
BASE 853

How about something bio-degradeable, that won't hang around long. Toilet paper works much better, and will dissapear in no time...
You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone.

The cigarette thing sounds like a good idea, but only if there's no grass, trees, shrubbery, buildings, dumpsters, etc. within hundreds of feet. Otherwise, it could give new meaning to "burning a site." ;)

Joe

Toilet paper works much better, and will dissapear in no time.

Good call. I'll make sure to bring some along on our next outing.

- Z

If you are gonna "burn" a site you might as well go all out. I think if any of our sites get burned we should set fire to them, since, really, if you can't jump it then it becomes totally useless. And remember, fire is cool!
BASE 853

I'm sure when I do the FJC I'll be taking a *lot* of toilet paper along....;)

BTW does anybody actually use those laser range-finder gizmos?

In a word...Yes.

If you are gonna "burn" a site you might as well go all out. I think if any of our sites get burned we should set fire to them, since, really, if you can't jump it then it becomes totally useless. And remember, fire is cool!

Fire is cool. Arson isn’t. Show a little respect to the owners/environment, dude. Most objects aren’t just there to be jumped from, believe it or not.

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

Actually, I'm going to go w/ flyinryan on this one. A moltov cocktail or two thrown from the top of an antennae would not only look cool but would give great insight as to what the winds are doing from the floor up.;)

Ok fine, I'll stick with my bag of flour idea. Like I said, I have no base experience so I don't know what you really want to look for and what you can dismiss but a big column of fluffy stuff will enable you to see updrafts, swirls, basically all the stuff dorks like me did in college with wind tunnels and smoke sticks.

Damn, I really need to ask Mom and Dad for BASE gear for Christmas. FAT CHANCE.

PEACE,
Doug

:$ What did I miss?

-Miranda

He was just joking you that you took the suggestion of actually burning sites seriously. Or maybe we didn't get it that you were joking that you took it seriously, or....sh1t, I've gone cross-eyed.

Ok, to get the forum back on topic. Fall Delay...um is when you delay as you fall and um...

-Doug

How to determine fall delay. Exit object. Wait until you are absolutely positive that you are going to bounce, then count to three, then pull.
BASE 853