Shivon

Riggers - what won't you pack

I won't repack anything more than 30 years old. Frankly, most pilot emergency parachutes are fadded, frayed and filthy by the time they reach 20 years old.
I won't repack any square reserve that pre-dates 5-cell Swifts (introduced in 1981).
I won't repack military surplus ejection seat rigs containing any kind of pyrotechnics (in AAD, drogue gun or spreader gun).
Speaking of AADs, I won't repack anything containing a Sentinel AAD.
And I was thankful when my boss put his foot down about no more round reserves at Pitt Meadows.
On that note, I really wish that all the round reserves from the acid mesh era would quietly disappear.
As for Racers ... it took me ten years to get good at packing them. Along the way I had to discard steel T-bodkins and invent a new tool. Fortunately Racers have almost disappeared from BC skies.

I won't repack any square reserve that pre-dates 5-cell Swifts (introduced in 1981).

Out of pure ignorance on my part - why not?

Edit to fix a typo

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sentinals had/have a nasty habit of misfireingB|
oh yeah, i wont pack KAP-3s:P :D

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Because the only pre-Swift square reserves that I know of are Para-Flite's Safety-Flyer and Safety-Star, both of which were tiny 5-cells with big pack volumes. They also had unusual steering lines.

I made a few hundred jumps on Strato-Stars (main version of Safety-Star) and have not seen one in the air since the mid-1980s. As for Strato-Flyers ... the Canadian National Team jumped them for a while and ... er ... the best thing they could say about the canopies was that they were free! Hee! Hee!
To the best of my knowledge, even Para-Flite wishes that those canopies were quietly retired.

>They also had unusual steering lines.

I packed my first Swift 5 cell with the break away steering lines the other week and was puzzled to no end about this extra line until I read the directions. I would'nt trust a new AFF baby to jump a 5 cell, the jumper that brought the rig in was the original owner of the Swift and an 85 Vector1 so I trusted that he had the experince to fly it.

I'll only pack things that are judged airworthy, that I have the manuals for and that I think the owner can safely land. I'm not going to pack round reserves for the majority of non military experienced jumpers just since their (and my) PLF skills are'nt up to it.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

>I'm not going to pack round reserves for the majority of non military experienced jumpers just since their (and my) PLF skills are'nt up to it.

Well my first four sport jumps, 25 years ago, and the only jumps I made until this year were on 24 foot T-10's. Can I jump a round reserve?;)

No thanks! I landed a modern 230 square foot canopy backwards in a field full of cows and mesquite and it was a softer PLF than my best landing on one of those!

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

since their (AND MY) PLF skills are'nt up to it.

:ph34r:

A man has got to know his limitations

:ph34r:
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I packed my first Swift 5 cell with the break away steering lines the other week and was puzzled to no end about this extra line until I read the directions.

My first square was the original Strato Cloud, (230 sq. ft.) and it came with the tag lines for setting the brakes. Worked just fine for several 100 jumps.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

The new freebags don't have any brass that comes in contact with any rubber bands

---ummm, somewhere between the newer brass-free bags, and the older non rubber banded bags, they did have brass grommets for the 2 locking stows, that did use rubber bands. I just packed my boss's, and it's nasty looking. The old pack job sat for about 2 months past the end of the last pack date, and the rubber bands on the locking stows had broken when I pulled the bag out, and some parts of the rubber band stuck to the brass. Yeah, I packed it, but didn't like it.
my pics & stuff!

the rubber bands on the locking stows had broken when I pulled the bag out,

Bag dump on a reserve, that is not a pleasant thought. I'll take a safety stow.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Anything I consider unairworthy or I would not jump myself (because of safety issues), anything I'm not rated for unless under the supervision of someone who is (ie: seat, chest rig) or anything I don't know how to pack competently or confidently on my own.

I won't pack a Reflex. No real specific reason, just don't like them... don't like the idea of a pop-top with no flaps over it with just one closing loop. Hey, just my opinion. If I were to happen to go to work for someone in a loft, I realize that I many have to change that tune, but right now, as an independant, that's it.

I STRONGLY prefer not to pack Racers, not because they're bad or anthing like that, but because they require more steps / closing is more complex... fortunately I know several other riggers that will pack Racers... one of which actually LIKES packing racers... well, he works for JumpShack, so I guess he has to say that.. :P;) ... anyway, whenever I hear someone with Racer in hand say "re-pack", I quickly mention their names. OBTW... RiggerRob... the Racer may (or may not) be disappearing in BC, but there's a bunch around my home DZ here in SoCal.

Swift 5 Cells with the "fly-away" steering lines... EKK! I packed one of those when getting my 20 for my Rigger's Ticket, but would STRONGLY encourage anyone bringing one to me to replace it. In fact, if I could side-step packing it for them, I would.

Racers....Reflex...Swift 5 Cells. All great replies so far. Thank you. I guess the reason I ask is that I am quite new to the rigging business, and I am still 'developing' my opinions about where I sit on these fences. It's great to hear the opinions of more experienced guys (and gals).

Eric,

Very interesting. Please help me out here. Don't most riggers (are you one?) read the manuals first?

Please explain in detail your position on round reserves and how you evaluate a persons ability to do a PLF. How many round pack jobs do you have?

Just curious, always trying to look at things from others perspective, thanks.

Blues,

J.E.
James 4:8

I am still under supervision working on my ticket. When I got there the rigger I am studing under had already popped the canopy and was working on the inspection. I procedded to do the line portion of the inspection while he did the canopy. I walked the lines and was like WTF is this line just laying there? I thought that the canopy was broke so I walked over, read the directions on the canopy (The instructions say inspect as step 1 so thats where I walked in at) and it all made sense.

I've got 5 round repacks. 3 were in Bailout rigs that had 28 foot canopies. All the pilots were former jumpers that when we gave them the rig back we gave them a paper detailing a PLF withthe rig as a refresher. I've got 2 sport round repacks. One was a 24 foot flat that I assisted in, the owner is about the only one I would feel comfortable with since he still PLF's every once and a while and has shown the skills. If a Jumper just off AFF came to me with a round I'd have major issues since if they are like most students they never really had to PLF a landing before and have no idea how much they help.

If I doubt their ability I'd send them up to the picnic table and have them demonstrate one to me. Thats a simple test, if they fail I won't seek out help or assist in the repack.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

;)Dave,

Many riggers will not pack Reflex or Racer as they believe they are more difficult or they just can't do it. Just like anything else it takes some experience.

I just closed two Reflex containers last night. I do not like the old ones (fords and chevys) but they are an okay rig. In fact they are pretty easy to repack just like the Racer if you know what to do.

Blues,

J.E.
James 4:8

Riggers - what containers won't you do reserve repacks for? For example, I know riggers who won't pack racers, and who won't pack anything over 15 years.

What are your own rules, and why?

I won't pack the shit of anyone that kept me waiting more than 2 weeks to get paid (you know who you are) and you're DEFINITELY never getting a "Sid rigs my shit" sticker!

Otherwise I'm not touching this thread 'cause I'm still recovering from the emotional scars from last time B|

Happy Holidays Everyone!
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?