skreamer

First BASE wingsuit?

Does anybody know who the first person was to BASE jump wearing a wingsuit? (also the location).

Will

I know the First person to jump a Birdman suit, Base was a guy from Norway. His name is Dag, and he is the cameraman for the Deland norgie's. He did it off of the Locals tower in Deland Florida. Pulled so low he diddnt have time to flare or anything. But he walked away from it.

Ray

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

How about Franz Reichelt from the Eiffel tower in 1912... BTW he didn't make it - he figured he could land the suit itself... He did, but it didn't save him...

The suit had a wingspan of about 15 ft., with wooden stays to keep it extended. Franz did one practice jump from about 10-12 ft to see if he thought it would work... He had permission to do a drop test with a dummy from the 180' level, but figured he might as well try it himself... Bad idea...

If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Eiffel1912.jpg

That was a... bad idea.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

I wonder wheter Patrick deGayardon would have been among the first who made succesful wingsuit BASE-jumps ?
http://www.ufufreefly.com

Taken from Adrian Nicholas article on http://www.skydivemag.com
about P. deGayardon.

"He made the longest base delay ever. 32 seconds, using his wings. That was the first of the many times he used a Stiletto for BASE jumps, as he'd lent his base rig to someone else so that they could jump too."

Blue Sky
I.

According to Stein Edvardsen (Norwegian BASE Federation President), the first wingsuit BASE flight was made by Partick de Gayardon (spelling?) in winter or spring 1996 at Lysefjord, Norway. Stein took him there, and they hired a helicopter to get to the top, as the roads were still closed.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com