Lukasz_Se

Backflying with no backfly inlets

Any tips? How effective can you back fly with no backfly inlets,? Any chance being able to fly next to others with decent forward speed or you need to go steep to keep the wings more pressurised? I'm a begginer with Swift 1 and have not tried it yet. Anyone tried retrofitting their own inlets?

You can fly close to the same without backfly inlets, but the main difference is fatigue/arm pressure. And it tends to be a bit less stable, as you need to fight a bit more to keep a clean airfoil.

So, yes, but with a lot more effort...
Before 2006 or so we all flew on the back without inlets. Then it was normal. But if you have the option to switch/trade your suit for something with backfly inlets, it is worth it.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?
  • Like 1

Lukasz_Se

Thanks guys, I do remember that article you mention, can't find it though... anyone having some tips on how to do your own inlets?

i put a backfly vent on my xbird and it flies great now on its back. just make a cardboard 3d template. cut out the fabric, sew it up, and attach. then hotknife the wingsuit fabric inside of the vent. i used some plastic as a stiffener to keep the vent open
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

keithbar

You the man :P. What's up dude you living the dream?

I guess that's all a matter of opinion Keith, just got power back from hurricane irma. Pops had a heart attack during the storm, spent 12 days in icu. Hoping to pick him up today. But I've gotten into ppg flying and absolutely love it. Haven't sky jumped much this year. Got a new strix on the way, should be here end of the month. We need to catch up. Hope you're doing good!
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121