Signo

R Bird Pro 2 vs. Freak 2

Hello Wingsuiters,

I am considering buying either an R-Bird Pro 2 or a Freak 2.
From either of these suits I would wish for enough versatility and performance to be able to use the suit for:
1. Flocking with larger groups
2. XRW
3. Potentially / eventually wingsuit BASE

Perhaps the above is far too much to ask from a single suit.
Any insight on which of the two suits above would be a better fit for the above disciplines would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Riccardo

P.S. In any reply comment please ignore the main listed canopy in my profile as this suit would only be jumped with either a Sabre 1, Lobo, or Flik 2

Hey Riccardo,

I fly a Freak and it works great for all of the above.

That said, either of the suits mentioned should work well for you. It probably depends mostly on your previous suit experience and familiarity with different flying styles, Strix included.

Feel free to ask me about it the next time we chat.

-Joe Putrino
Apex BASE

Hi Joe, Heath, and Bryan,

Thank you for your insight! It is much appreciated.

It looks to me that top notch pilots in the community are very polarized on the topic Squirrel vs. Other suits.
I have started wingsuiting in 2007 and since then I have flown a variety of suits from Birdmen, Phoenix Fly, Fly Your Body and Tony. I have never flown the Squirrel suits.

As the next step I have rented an R-Bird 2 and aim to put a bunch of jumps on it. Similarly, I will try to go try and fly a Freak 2 to directly compare the two.

It is interesting to see how in the recent races I have seen the podium is always almost entirely squirrel pilots. I wonder whether it is the pilots, the suits, or both?!?

Again, Thank you all for your insights more research is required here.

Blue Puffy Skies to All!
Riccardo

P.S. who makes the Strix - I could not find it?

Unfortunately, the brand wars never seem to end and everyone feels "right" for choosing what they want to fly. It's all a matter of opinion and perspective.

I really like your approach of trying to demo them all before purchasing. You will end up with whatever suit will make you most happy. Screw the brand wars. :)

Squirrel has focused their efforts heavily on their race suit both in making sure they sponsor the top athletes and in developing a good race suit. Wingsuit technology is so close in terms of performance that it's almost comical to blame a podium position strictly on the suit flown. The athletes that perform well have trained hard and will still be high in the ranks irregardless of brand. I'm not discrediting the suits they've made - just giving more credit to the pilots.

The Strix is a Phoenix Fly suit that got released about 6 months ago. It replaced my Freak that I had in my collection. I haven't once missed the Freak. I can probably get you set up with a demo.

I'd love to hear your comparisons on the R-bird 2 pro and the freak. I don't know much about what Tony has been up to but i'd be curious to hear.

Hi Bryan,

For sure I would be happy to demo a Strix from the good Pecnik. Thanks for suggesting that. Looking forward to comparing the Strix, the R Bird 2, and the Freak 2.

I will contact you separately to set that up.

I recon your comment on research before you buy because there is a all lot more at stake here than the simple price of the suit. My hope when I get a suit is to fly the living light out of it so that the wing becomes innate nature.

One suit for all of the three disciplines that I point out would be ideal in order to be extra proficient with the entire range of the suit performance. Which might become at some point life saving.

Thanks All!

Signo

Hi Bryan,

For sure I would be happy to demo a Strix from the good Pecnik. Thanks for suggesting that. Looking forward to comparing the Strix, the R Bird 2, and the Freak 2.

I will contact you separately to set that up.

I recon your comment on research before you buy because there is a all lot more at stake here than the simple price of the suit. My hope when I get a suit is to fly the living light out of it so that the wing becomes innate nature.

One suit for all of the three disciplines that I point out would be ideal in order to be extra proficient with the entire range of the suit performance. Which might become at some point life saving.

Thanks All!

i think the R2 is the smaller of the suits you are looking at. I would say if you want to keep the class of the suits the same, you should look at Tony's foghead2/psycho... it has a longer tail than the r2 so it will be more comparable to the Freak2 and Strix.
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

flite

What are the internal ribs made from on the Strix ? Thx

No idea, but I've gotta say I love my Strix. Feels powerful in dives and flares but also not too crazy that you don't want to flip around and Carve and stuff. Really is an excellent balance between power and acro. Haven't jumped a Freak or RBP so no comparisons, but it's an incredible piece of fabric.

Signo

Hello Wingsuiters,

I am considering buying either an R-Bird Pro 2 or a Freak 2.
From either of these suits I would wish for enough versatility and performance to be able to use the suit for:
1. Flocking with larger groups
2. XRW
3. Potentially / eventually wingsuit BASE

Perhaps the above is far too much to ask from a single suit.
Any insight on which of the two suits above would be a better fit for the above disciplines would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Riccardo

P.S. In any reply comment please ignore the main listed canopy in my profile as this suit would only be jumped with either a Sabre 1, Lobo, or Flik 2

i have used my RBird Pro + (same as the 2 i think) for #1 and 3 with good success.

ps
it's more about the pilot than the suit for most ANY discipline that you are considering.
(not saying i'm a shit-hot pilot)

hjumper33

***What are the internal ribs made from on the Strix ? Thx

Dragon heart string. I think squirrels are unicorn blood though, so that's something to consider.

I thought those were made from hymen of 11-year-olds, but must have been updated in latest versions...

I have done all of the above in my R Bird Pro. XRW relies on an equal match of suit/pilot and canopy/pilot and that can make or break any suit but overall I find it has the float needed without too much speed.

We just added R Bird Pro to our rental mix so that people can give them a go.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

Just two weeks ago we were doing large formation flocks in Houston (I see you list Houston as your DZ). If you are interested in formation type flying, very few people do well in a suit that is large enough for XRW. Some try, but often struggle with being still in the formation.

If you want to do big suit, fast (forward) flocks, then a one suit solution is more doable.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

flite

What are the internal ribs made from on the Strix ? Thx

the ribs on the strix are made of "Skytex hard 38 gram zero porosity material with crossports"

I owned an Rbird2, still own an X1, and have jumped a friends Freak a bunch of times.
my Strix just arrived today.
ill post back after i get it aired out.
i am not sponsored by anyone and will provide an unbiased opinion once i get it in the air.
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

roostnureye

***What are the internal ribs made from on the Strix ? Thx

the ribs on the strix are made of "Skytex hard 38 gram zero porosity material with crossports"

I owned an Rbird2, still own an X1, and have jumped a friends Freak a bunch of times.
my Strix just arrived today.
ill post back after i get it aired out.
i am not sponsored by anyone and will provide an unbiased opinion once i get it in the air.

ok i received my Strix, i absolutely love this suit! hands down the best suit ive ever flown. i exited on my back the very first jump. had zero problems with stability and pitch. it felt very natural to fly. transitions are a breeze, losing zero altitude. i was flying with a freak2 and out floating it with zero effort. i put it head down and it was perfectly smooth, no bobbling around. i cannot believe the power this suit has, honestly its really wild. i can flare on my back and gain so much altitude its unreal. i laid the suit on top of my Aura and could not believe how big it was. the aura has longer grippers, maybe 1/2" more tail and a little less arm sweep. when flying it there is no comparison, the aura has very high arm fatigue after floating it for a couple min, i didnt notice any arm pressure at all in the strix. there is absolutely zero comparison to the Rbird2, they are completely 2 different classes of suits, the rbird2 is much smaller. as far as the freak2 comparison, the freak seems to have more arm sweep and does not float as well, forward speeds are basically identical. with the strix i can fly the whole range of speed on its back with out my pitch being affected. i could not do that in the freak2. i can hit the brakes on my back and keep it level no problem. i struggled in the freak2 unless it was close to max or somewhat headlow. im still getting used to a few things on the strix because i didnt fly PF suits much. 1 flat grippers, strange feel but work good in the air, 2 zipper system. im used to the full body length zippers of Tony/Squirrel so gearing up is still feeling weird to me, 3 bootie snaps instead of magnets (i will swap the snaps to magnets) 4 the short leg zipper pulls.
im not sponsored by anyone and paid full price for my suit. this is an honest review. *when i orderd the suit i requested thicker 420 denier fabric instead of their normal parapack, i prefer longevity over light weight
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

I'm very happy with my Tony R Bird Pro + (2)
Also happy with my Squirrel Colugo 2 (not exactly the same as a Freak)

I prefer the front lacing on the tony suit over the zipper on the Squirrel

I suspect both / either would make you happy
It's more about the pilot than the suit.