yan_i

Jumping a UPT Micron

Hey all. I've been wingsuiting for about a year with my main rig, a UPT Micron V308 with a freefly handle. Since it's more stubby than non-micron Vectors, I find it kind of difficult to reach the handle at pull time. (The bottom of container rests about right near the bottom of my ribs). I recently tried jumping a larger suit, and the problem felt worse as I had to fight fabric and get it out of the way.

Has anyone wingsuited with a micron? Is it a lost cause, or can my technique be improved?

If the suit has removable arm padding, take it out or use the thinner pads, that can make a big difference.

You can also try getting a PVC handle or freefly hacky/monkeyfist instead of a pud.

Also a v308 is on the small side of canopies you want to be wingsuiting unless you weigh like 120lbs, "can be done" and "smart" are two different things.

I have around 3000+ wingsuit jumps with a Vector Micron (V306) with freefly handle, and never had any problem. I think with some training/practice, it should be no issue at all to use the freefly pud (with the added security it offers, especially when backflying or doing high speed dives), but of course another easier solution could be to change the PC to one with a small orange tubing handle. This would result in a pull requiring less effort as well.

I know a very large group of wingsuit pilots, all flying similar setups and Micron containers, all without issue. All would actually recommend the container for wingsuit use, so for sure, its not a lost cause, but (I think) just one of training and practice.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Anachronist, I'm flying a Sabre2 135 loaded at approximately 1.35-1.4. My openings have been generally good, and I know the canopy well. I am considering upsizing to a lpv Pilot7 150, but for now, this works okay. Even when I upsize, it'll still be the same container.

mccordia, that's actually great to hear. I'll continue working on technique and spend a few flights doing nothing but flares+practice touches.

lyosha, I initially got this container as an all-around container, but pretty much stopped non-ws flying.

yan_i

lyosha, I initially got this container as an all-around container, but pretty much stopped non-ws flying.

All vectors are all around containers. Some are easier for wingsuiting than others. For whatever reason the "cool" thing recently has been to get short pudgy containers (i.e. microns, mirage...).

The V308 is one of the shortest containers made. Only one vector model is shorter (and every other micron is either as long or longer). In general, the longer the container, the easier it will be to WS in it.

vector makes the same container for taller people, they have the "1" in the size. a vector 306 and 316 hold the same size canopies, but the 316 has longer packtrays. i tried a 306 and a 316 side by side and i chose the 316 because the pud is a lot easier to find if you have a long torso/arms.
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

I'd say you should review your technique, your suit movement range and (perhaps) your flexibility... you shouldn't have an issue with a V308 or any other Vector for that matter, they are well established and very popular in the wingsuit community.
You could also have an appropriate rigger look at your particular container, there is always the possibility that your harness is not sized properly to you.
I take that you have reached out to UPT already to no avail?

roostnureye

vector makes the same container for taller people, they have the "1" in the size. a vector 306 and 316 hold the same size canopies, but the 316 has longer packtrays. i tried a 306 and a 316 side by side and i chose the 316 because the pud is a lot easier to find if you have a long torso/arms.

I don't think that's how it works. 309 and 319 hold different canopies...

Vector does make containers that are better and worse for wingsuitting. Some microns work better than others. Just look at their size chart at the "length" of the container. They're not all the same size...