Okanagan_Jumper

TS Jedei 3 Handles Question

I saw this Jedei 3 suit yesterday with just the handles showing and I am wondering what the safety/regulatory issues are, if any. Is it allowed to jump it at all USPA dropzones? Not trying to start a flame war.

Here is a dropbox link to a photo:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gwjblfx3oky3rl3/Screenshot_20170317-144608.png?dl=0

When the main deploys, MLW and handles move up several inches. Your wingsuit fabric is going to be tensioned between your shoulders and your feet. I suppose if you quickly bend your legs, you'll create enough slack, but sooner or later you'll just tear the wingsuit. Hiding the chest strap will increase the odds of someone forgetting to fasten it, and you're relying on two slippery lines with knots in them to keep the wingsuit attached to your MLW in just the right position. This still seems like a really bad idea to me. [:/]

mxk

Hiding the chest strap will increase the odds of someone forgetting to fasten it,

No one is forcing you to use it. If you decide to buy one, you just better have enough brains to check your gear properly. And if not, then thanks for helping evolution make it's thing.

skow

***Hiding the chest strap will increase the odds of someone forgetting to fasten it,

No one is forcing you to use it. If you decide to buy one, you just better have enough brains to check your gear properly. And if not, then thanks for helping evolution make it's thing.

Hahah +1

And ignore leg straps while at it, since they are also hidden ;)

I couldn't care less about people forgetting to do stuff but this bit I agree with.

mxk

and you're relying on two slippery lines with knots in them to keep the wingsuit attached to your MLW in just the right position. This still seems like a really bad idea to me. [:/]

Just an FYI for anyone who cares (and disclaimer, I am only aware on testing for large diameter climbing and sailing lines (~7-14mm) so I'm not sure how it applies to small diameter dacron and the like.

Knots reduce the strength of line anywhere from 30-50%, so that 1k lb line might be more like 700-500, then you have to look at what it is tied to, possibly a reduction of some sort, maybe big, maybe small. In addition to that, I might not care about people "forgetting" stuff, but knots are a special skill set, that few people really understand, not something I would expect or want a skydiver to have to consider. And finally, you have to think about shock loading, you can generate extreme forces with moderate weights if the acceleration is fast. As I once heard described "You could drop a ball bearing from 1 inch off the ground and have it experience 1,000G if you stopped it suddenly enough."

Now for the suit itself, I'd wager the suit fabric would probably fail before the line would (it might not though), then you just rip the suit away from the handle, and no matter how that happens, I think we can agree it would be a negative turn of events, especially if the fabric caught one or both handles and pulled them.

I would also wager Tony has not tested any of the things I mentioned and some of them would be extremely difficult to test and relate to "the real world."

Personally I wouldn't jump it. Haven't seen a new Phoenix suit up-close in a while but I really liked the handle situation on my Havok (not Carve). I am jumping a SQ suit now, begrudgingly, with their "innie-outie" system that I am not a fan of.