Anachronist

Pilot Chutes, Neat writeup

DISCLAIMERS: because drama.

1 - This is just neat to look at and I'm glad someone is spending some money to actually quantify this stuff.

2 - No the experimental technique is not perfect, but is well beyond anything anyone else is doing.

3 - Yes SQ did this (so it is very BASE/Snatch focused), but they seemed fair in saying that no strong conclusions could be made about some things and packing being most important about others and more testing needed for some topics.

4 - No I don't have a Snatch (or SkySnatch), and no I don't want one.

Ok so here ya go...

Because someone from or close to SQ will probably see this at some point...

1- It would be nice to see some figures and p values (I don't really care what you think alpha should be, just give us the raw output).

2- Maybe go a step farther for us skydivers and put a dummy d-bag in a rig to see what happens out to line stretch.

3- Turbulence is good, no one is pitching into laminar flow.

4- Thanks for giving me some interesting and entertaining reading and spending some money to actually quantify some of this stuff empirically.

hopefully this stays brand free, because I agree this was a nice write up, but the video I think is my favorite. The reverse handle pc specifically is intriguing. For some reason on a gutteral level it just seems wrong to me, but it looks pretty darn clean in practice. Did seeing slow mo video make anyone reconsider their practice?

It looks like that may fix the bad PC "flick" that you can see on most low speed PC deployments since the flick instead makes the top of the PC extend and deploy normally.

For terminal stuff I'd tried Matt's S-fold technique and found the same thing his video showed, that the wind would catch the bridle and pull it out into a U even with a very strong & fast pull. Nice to see the shout about Yaru's bridle pocket.

My takeaway was that no PC is clever enough to correct for bad technique.

In skydiving I definitely feel that the complex PC designs are a solution in search of a problem. The discussion is more interesting in BASE, but I think the jury is still out as to whether or not the juice is worth the squeeze here.
Apex BASE