wildernessmedic

Vampire 3?

Black_Eyes90

on Phoenix Fly Website it says: 'We recommend a MINIMUM of 250 wingsuit jumps before trying the Vampire'

That would be for the current Vampire models, each quite a bit larger and higher performance than the Vampire 3.

From memory I think the original recommendation for it was around 100-150 WS jumps, which seems about right to me.

skow

Just to be on a safe side, I'd do at least 3 jumps with something smaller. Carve or Hunter could be a reasonable choice. If your coach doesn't agree, find a new one. No one needs nay-sayers

Really ???
Phoenix Fly advises a minimum of 100 wingsuit jumps to fly the Carve
http://phoenix-fly.com/portfolio/havok-2/
And a minimum of 200 wingsuit jumps to fly the hunter
http://phoenix-fly.com/portfolio/hunter/

To the OP if your jump # is current please get at least 200 jumps before starting to wingsuit

I would suggest renting a smaller suit and putting a minimum of 100 jumps on it before jumping your V3
http://wickedwingsuits.com/
Kirk
He's dead Jim

The recommendation 100 or so is of course arbitrary and depends a lot on skill and experience in general. Depending on what you do in 100 jumps, it may be ok, or size-wise/suit wise not the best idea yet. Work on all-round skills, and don't just learn to plank a suit for performance. Master complete flight, and usually that takes a bit more than 100...but in general...more is better...always more experience..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

wildernessmedic

Sounds like there's no way I can use my Vampire 3 for FFC. After I do it what's the soonest I'm looking at being able to use it?

Four years ago in Poland during wingsiut jump an experienced skydiver (1600 jumps) was died. Low experience in wingsuit fly (less than 25) + large wingsiut (Vampire 3) caused rotation of jumper at the deployment. The result of line twist of Crossfire2 135 and viloent spinning. After cut off on the back, the RSL opened the reserve, which entangled with the camera on his helmet. So be safe and when start use the smaller suits- something as: I-Bird or Phantom

...Crossfire2 135 and violent spinning... RSL opened the reserve, which entangled...

Elliptical and wingsuit - never ever a good idea no matter suit. Low wingsuit experience and adding a Gopro snag hazard spiced up with unwanted instant RSL action - dangerous combination.

As such not a suit issue, rather this jumper created more dangerous issues here and there for himself. Could have happened with smaller wingsuits as well, would be my point here.

wildernessmedic

K I'll do as many as I can with the FFC wingsuit. I spoke to Phoenix fly. Recommend 100 not 200.

No jump number isn't correct.

It makes more sense not just for safety but also performance if you get your hands on an intermediate suit for logging those jumps.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

hjumper33

Im just laughing that not that many years ago the V3 was the biggest, craziest, highest performing wingsuit around. Now people consider using them for first flight courses. How the times have changed.

The V3 was never the biggest suit - the Mach 1 and its successors had been out for years already. It was never the craziest either. It was way more stable than any of the previous V-series or Skyflyer suits, and probably more so than any that have come after it as well. In terms of precision handling it just might be the nicest, easiest suit I've ever flown, to this day.

But it's still a big suit to exit with, a lot of area to handle if you get into trouble, and also one of the last suits where the arm-wing fully depressurizes and flaps all over the BOC at pull time, so yeah it's really not a great FFC contender;)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Youre absolutely right, I guess I was more thinking of the perception of the suit in the base world as being kind of the pinnacle of performance. That was when only a handful of people were base jumping tony suits, and the "mattress suit" area hadn't officially begun, at least in base. I agree, the V3 is probably still up there as one of my favorite wingsuits of all time as well. I took one off of the KL tower with a 42 large mesh jammed into the leg pouch. Horrible idea.

I think the biggest suit of that time was the XS. Nebelkoff had the first one id ever seen, and he was flying it against V2s (one of which I was in) at the distance competition. He destroyed everyone by a ridiculous margin, including Dean Potter, a man who took great pride in winning these type of events. That result is directly what lead to Dean switching from phoenix fly to tony suits.

mccordia

The V3 was never the biggest suit - the Mach 1 and its successors had been out for years already.;)

Thats not matching the actual timeline

The V3 came out in 2004
GS1 came out in 2006, Sugar Glider 2004
Tonysuits started making/selling suits in 2006

ws history

Ummm, you think Phoenix-Fly's first wingsuit was called the Vampire 3?

You're funny!:D:P

jakee

The V3 was never the biggest suit - the Mach 1 and its successors had been out for years already.;)

The V3 came out in 2004

ws history

Ummm, you think Phoenix-Fly's first wingsuit was called the Vampire 3?

You're funny!:D:P

2003 Phoenix was still bird man.

2004 Phoenix V1 was out at the end of the year over here.

2006 I bought a factory new V2 ( still have it) early in that year. It may have been released in the previous fall not sure.

mccordia

incorrectly just asumed Vampire, As V1 and V3 don't differ in size that massive.

What, 'cos size is all that matters for performance and handling?

Odd position for a PF rep to take;)

mccordia

The V3 came out in 2004

ws history

The history lesson has a few holes in it... 1969-70 saw some prototype WS being flown... But I digress.