roostnureye

wingsuit grid help

Open your still in Photoshop.

Copy the grid into the image, it should appear as a new 'Layer'.
You could also just drag the file from the desktop onto the still image to do this.

The grid layer will now sit over the top of the still image.

This should work as long as the grid layer is transparent, if not you can find the opacity control (where the Layer window is, bottom right maybe?) and reduce the opacity to see the still beneath it.

Be very careful to not accidentally change the dimensions, even a little bit. It's often easy to do...

I know you know this, but others might not - in the Transform controls, always click the "Maintain aspect ratio" icon (it looks like a little chain) and only drag the grid layer from the corners while holding down shift.

Particularly if the formation is close, don't apply the transformation until you took note of the scale and angle offset (if you rotated the grid), so you can show the judges how to re-create it.

http://my3boybarians.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Picture-8-700x443.png <--- this is from an older version of PS, but it still functions the same way.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

johnmatrix

Open your still in Photoshop.

Copy the grid into the image, it should appear as a new 'Layer'.
You could also just drag the file from the desktop onto the still image to do this.

The grid layer will now sit over the top of the still image.

This should work as long as the grid layer is transparent, if not you can find the opacity control (where the Layer window is, bottom right maybe?) and reduce the opacity to see the still beneath it.

'

I was trying to help Jeremy with this at the Texas record, and even though I'm OK with Photoshop on a Mac, I couldn't figure it out on the PC. For some reason, the grid layer was blank (in other words, it was just the transparent background). In thinking about it a little more, I'm wondering if the scales were just so off that the part of the layer that you could see would be blank (in other words, the upper left hand corner of the grid). I couldn't figure out how to do on a PC the usual tricks that I would on a Mac to zoom out...
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

johnmatrix

One way is to zoom out using the zoom tool and then Transform - Ctrl+T - to manually resize the grid.
As someone said above, hold down the shift key when dragging with the mouse to retain image shape (i.e. to make sure it stays square).

thanks John! ill try the opacity. Jeff Donahue was helping me last weekend and we could not get the layers to work together.
I can get the photo in there fine, and i can get the layer in there, i just cant get them to work together.
The grid was white and you can barely see the red lines. but i cant get the lines to appear over the photo
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

I downloaded the grid to have a look, and if it's the same you downloaded (from here http://ipc-judging.org.uk/ws/wingsuit.html ) then the problem is obvious.

Some genius saved the grid file in jpg, which is a format that doesn't save transparency...

If you want to see just the grid overlayed on top of the formation's photo you have a few options.

- In the layer's palette, where the blending mode says "normal", change that to either "color burn" or "linear burn", depending on the background colors.

You can also change to "divide", which will change the color of the grid, but may make it more visible.

- Your other option is to make it transparent yourself.

Open the grid layer only.

Select the magic eraser (right click on the eraser tool to select it from a dropdown menu), remove the tick in the top toolbar that says "contiguous". (The default tolerance worked for me, it came up set as "32"), and click in the white background. All the white should have been removed.

The grid is barely visible as it is, so go to image-adjustments-levels, and crank up the slider at "input levels". I brought the leftmost slider which was set at "0" up to "200" and that did the trick.

Save as "png" format for future use. (I can't attach it as there's a 1mb limit))

GoneCodFishing

I downloaded the grid to have a look, and if it's the same you downloaded (from here http://ipc-judging.org.uk/ws/wingsuit.html ) then the problem is obvious.

Some genius saved the grid file in jpg, which is a format that doesn't save transparency...

If you want to see just the grid overlayed on top of the formation's photo you have a few options.

- In the layer's palette, where the blending mode says "normal", change that to either "color burn" or "linear burn", depending on the background colors.

You can also change to "divide", which will change the color of the grid, but may make it more visible.

- Your other option is to make it transparent yourself.

Open the grid layer only.

Select the magic eraser (right click on the eraser tool to select it from a dropdown menu), remove the tick in the top toolbar that says "contiguous". (The default tolerance worked for me, it came up set as "32"), and click in the white background. All the white should have been removed.

The grid is barely visible as it is, so go to image-adjustments-levels, and crank up the slider at "input levels". I brought the leftmost slider which was set at "0" up to "200" and that did the trick.

Save as "png" format for future use. (I can't attach it as there's a 1mb limit))

Thank you very much man! I can't even begin to tell you how much this helps me. I've been trying to figure out how to budget a mac into my quiver and wasn't liking the timeline. You are the man! I'm at work now, I'll try it out when I get home. Thank again!
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121