Ronsebag

Wingsuit and valkyrie

I Love winsuiting but I have a hard time jumping out of a plane knowing I won't land a swoop on a kick ass canopy.
Everyone raves about valkyrie openings so maybe it can be a decent wing suit canopy. I'm thinking Valkyrie 79 at 2.3 wing loading on a havok or hunter.
People please share your opinions and experiences

I hope you're trolling! I really don't have the experience to be commenting here, but it sounds like an unwise choice, lol. Not saying it couldn't be done with some degree of safety, but why put yourself in that position. Might as well use a Peregrine to terrain fly at Brevent. :S

Sun, Fun, and Blue Ones

Respect Existence, Or Expect Resistance!

Be careful, if your wingsuit is bigger than your canopy, the air gets confused and can turn you upside down when you come into land.
To stop this from happening you can carry a selfie stick in each hand to act as winglets, this anchors you between the wingtip vortices and prevents spontaneous inversion.
Consider also removing the control lines from your canopy to avoid entanglement.

Ronsebag

I Love winsuiting but I have a hard time jumping out of a plane knowing I won't land a swoop on a kick ass canopy.
Everyone raves about valkyrie openings so maybe it can be a decent wing suit canopy. I'm thinking Valkyrie 79 at 2.3 wing loading on a havok or hunter.

I have done XRW with a couple of guys that fly Valkyrie, but they are loaded more like 3.1 or higher. They seem to be good for XRW and you can watch the WS while you are the base.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Ronsebag

... I'm thinking Valkyrie 79 at 2.3 wing loading on a havok or hunter.

Opinion: mix some meat into your diet. At those numbers, you're only getting out the plane at about 180 lbs. You need to get up to at least 225 geared up, then you can get the VK75 and be an even 3.0:1.

Just trolling boys. I know some guys are doing the small crossbrace ws thing and I'd love to have there input. Is flying a tiny crossbrace canopy with a ws nuts maybe? Maybe for some that don't jump those type of canopies especially. I don't own or jump a valk and yes Kirk I started the season on a 107, not sure why that is interesting but maybe it is. I'm sure many skydivers think about it so why not share our thoughts. Crazy or not. So if anyone reading this flys this type of setup please come forward and own it. Must it be so taboo!

Here are my two cents.

It's not because a canopy has a good consistent opening outside of wingsuiting, that the canopy is a good choice as a wingsuit canopy. When everything goes right, then sure, jumping with a Valkyrie/Katana/Whatever will not be an issues. It's just when things go (slightly) wrong, due to whatever reasons (unstable pull, pilot chute hesitation, bad luck), that things will escalate more rapidly. If I have a linetwist with riser offset on my Spectre 150, it is usually not a big deal, but the same riser offset and linetwist on a small high performance canopy will more quickly result in a cutaway.

Also, how comfortable are you landing out with that small canopy? How far will it take you back from a long spot?

Don't choose a canopy for when everything goes right, but for when it goes wrong.

I know quite a few load organizers (including myself) who will not let you in on group jumps if you are jumping a too small canopy. You are not only putting yourself more at risk, but also the other people on the group.

Was at Flock N Dock recently and one of the organizers was flying a JFX (99 I think). He chopped it within 4 jumps that I saw him do. Wingsuits and ellipticals are a ridiculously stupid idea. I'm currently on a Pilot 111 and was on a Spectre 107 before that. They both open geeat in a WS but are small enough you can still get a decent swoop. Don't be an idiot.

skydave89

Was at Flock N Dock recently and one of the organizers was flying a JFX (99 I think). He chopped it within 4 jumps that I saw him do. Wingsuits and ellipticals are a ridiculously stupid idea. I'm currently on a Pilot 111 and was on a Spectre 107 before that. They both open geeat in a WS but are small enough you can still get a decent swoop. Don't be an idiot.

I know zero about small canopies but I have noticed in the past year, I am getting a lot better at flying straight from reach, pitch, deployment, snivel, to full inflation. In my case it just seems to be after X number of WS jumps that some things naturally got a lot better. But there was a pretty long process to get to some level of experience where those things were within my grasp. I am sure the guy that does 500+ WS jumps a year and is good with a small canopy would have less challenges than the guy with 200 WS jumps would be, regardless of canopy skills.

Yes it is sad when an organizer at a boogie it taken out by a cutaway when some other canopy might have avoided the issue.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

If you know guys jumpinv cross brace with wingsuits probably best talk to them. I jump a spectre 120 which is perfect. But would I jump a cross brace with wingsuit no. After 4 min maxed out flight I dont need to worry about a canopy going nuts should their be an issue on deployment. In the last 1500 wingsuit jumps I had a spinner which could not be recovered on a Silhoutte 150 that was 2002 and opened my eyes to how fast it can go down should their be an issue irrelevant of canopy size or design. Do you plan on pulling at say 3k, then imagine a pc hestitation then a slow deployment with a spinning mal. Why put yourself in the corner? Alternately since you have 10k jumps its your decision but general advice remains elliptical highly loaded canopies are not a good choice for wingsuit jumps.
Dont just talk about it, Do it!

It's fucking stupid, but I have been running a cruise+ with a Leia 86 and 79 (no issues at all). Openings are perfect. Good luck, your canopy might come back for a hug though.

p.s. my wingsuit rig is a freepacked 200sqft with a 36 F111 as I got sick of chopping my storm 150 at a 1.3.

skydave89

I might be wrong, but my understanding is Tony Urugallo jumped a pair of JFXs before he got his shmancy custom container for WS races (and switched to a WS specific canopy).

It's doable... just not a good idea. Especially considering 90%+ of wingsuiters overestimate their skill level...