skydave89

Steep and Slow

Fellow birds -

Had 2 things I wanted to hear opinions on: going steep and going slow (not at the same time, obviously).

Steep: what's your personal strategy for a steeper angle of attack? It seems like some people sweep the arms, and some basically tilt the whole leading edge. I've always found it much easier to dive by sweeping the arms, but I feel as though it's slightly slower. For anyone that isn't a "sweeper", any tips?

Slow: when you're trying to slow down horizontally, what's your body position? I was taught/learned how to slow down by just bringing my heels back to my butt, whereas during recent jumps with an organizer I was told to essentially dig my knees in. Is there a "right" answer, or is it all personal preference?

Thanks for the input. Also - for the love of god please don't turn this into another brand war clusterfuck.

Okay I will bite. I have seen some very experienced organizers sticking to the same flying techinques year after year and some other also very experienced organizers changing their flying techinques quite frequently. It seems to me that massive tunnel experience leads to noticeably similar angles flying styles/techiques that are different from angle flyers with massive “sky” experience. Plus different styles appeal to different people. At the end of the day the only thing that seems to matter is whether you can get quickly to your slot and stay there for the whole jump :)

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Stephen Hawking

Fata-

As you mentioned in your last sentence, I don't ever have issues diving to a slot or slowing down when I'm using my standard techniques. (Im between 450-500 WS jumps). Just wanted to solicit opinions and make sure I'm not using old, outdated, inefficient techniques if that makes sense.

skydave89

Steep: what's your personal strategy for a steeper angle of attack? It seems like some people sweep the arms, and some basically tilt the whole leading edge. I've always found it much easier to dive by sweeping the arms, but I feel as though it's slightly slower. For anyone that isn't a "sweeper", any tips?

It depends what your goal is: flocking vs terrain flying.

If you are just trying to flock with other skydivers, then you will not be flying at maximum performance, and so as long as you can match speed and glide with your fellow jumpers it doesn't matter too much how. Others might be able to give tips on body position that might help with stability or precision, but whatever works for you is fine.

If you're planning to terrain fly, speed is by far your biggest asset, and flying with your arms swept back is slower than diving with your whole upper body. Keep your wings mostly level and angle down at the hips / shoulders / neck. "Strong Arm Technique"

Video: https://www.facebook.com/scottybobws/posts/10154237601399474

Discussion: http://www.basejumper.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2987558#2987558
BASEline - Wingsuit Flight Computer

There are often several ways to meet the same objective. Also different people have different perceptions of what works and how it works. I use a Flysight a lot and the numbers tell the tale.

I appreciate people giving me tips but often I can't apply them as effectively as the person sharing the knowledge. It ends up being up to me the and the Flysight to sort out what I can make work the best.

I do really enjoy the braking part of an XRW approach where I might be 50+ MPH faster than the canopy and then bleed that speed off for a nice slow approach. Landing gear, flaps, and cut the throttle....there is some shaking and shuddering for a few seconds. :)
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

hjumper33

Back before there were flysights, we actually had to fly with other people to see what different body positions did. Its hard to tell what a change in position does without a reference.

Yes, there comes a time when it all must be put to practical use, relative to other birds.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”