travisjones

Wingsuit and Electric Jetpack

roostnureye

1:13 on an aura2!!!!! you go lol!

I will bet that just adds drag. Hell I did 2:13 just yesterday. I in my Raptor. :D And I'm like 285 pushing three hundred out the door..;) right Jeremy ?
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Nice work Travis

I have a feeling you are the first but many others will follow. Vesa proved the concept but the hardware was problematic.

New battery and motor technology make a "useful" system affordable and safe. Having the 'thrust' closer to your body / CofG will help, perhaps even inside the leg wing?
BASEstore.it

That's really cool, but I don't see how the math can work based on currently available hardware. You'll need >= 200lbs of thrust to be able to maintain level flight with a GR of 2.5-3:1 (which will drop due to all the extra drag & weight). It looks like you're using a DS-94, so let's say you've got 30lbs of thrust. So you'd need at least 4 of those to actually start seeing something resembling powered flight.

There are units that can give you almost 50lbs of thrust (TF-8000, 14S, 140mm fan), but you'd need a couple of them and at 17kw (22 horsepower!) each you'll need a 320A+ ESC and a 15AH 14S battery (about 20lbs all together) for each one to have enough power for 2 1/2 minutes of flying (and some reserve so you don't kill the batteries). Then you've got multiple 22HP engines close to your body spinning a blade at 50,000RPM that was designed to go on a toy.

For this to be viable with a single EDF the fan needs to be much bigger, maybe 250-300mm. Right now there's nothing like that on the market but I'm sure there will be in another 5-10 years.

Maybe, problem is you need the intake directly exposed to the airstream and the exhaust can't have anything blocking it. You also don't want flapping nylon around the hot bits. Then you have possible thrust vector/control issues with the thrust coming from aft CG.

Im jumping it again today. I agree on the level flight thing and thats not what im going for. I am going for speed. The jump was fast i will not deny it. But in fact i got a slightly better glide angle at a very high speed 200mph. That is why the jump was so short. I covered the same distance and angle just much faster. I am very pleased with the results. I am building it for base jumping so anything over a few minutes of power is not necessary for me. Like it or not. Its super fun. My friends trying to film said i was out ahead at the same glide but pulling away. No chance on them catching up.

Schuebeler Jets has a new unit coming out that i have to sign a waiver for and present a safety plan but it produces over 60 lbs and a very high speed. When i hit the button on my ds-94 i can feel a little power my my goal has been to go bigger once im use to the baby motor.

For anyone following along, Geo Robson was the furthest along on powered wingsuit flight. He had done aerodynamics calculations based on the V3 that showed longitudinal instability in the powered flight modes. You can read more here:

http://raffaello.name/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/AIAA-237998-291.pdf

The take away, is that without vectored thrust, it may not be possible to maintain stable flight, regardless of the thrust you throw down. Geo suggested active thrust vectoring to make the aerodynamics work. I haven't seen anyone do any mathematically vigourous work since he went in, but I expect naive applications of thrust to have the same issues in a modern suit as he saw in the V3.

photognat

That's really cool, but I don't see how the math can work based on currently available hardware. You'll need >= 200lbs of thrust to be able to maintain level flight with a GR of 2.5-3:1 (which will drop due to all the extra drag & weight).

How did you come up with that 200lbs figure? I make it more like 80lbs.

At my exit weight, with 200lbs I could hover.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

WickedWingsuits

I guess it they were mounted in the leg wing it would reduce drag and get the spinny parts away from the critical body parts!

The LiPo batteries get quite hot too. (and have been known to explode).

2 things: Travis' size and the amount of thrust Yves is working with.

Unless you weigh 80lb or 90lbs, I'd be very surprised if 80lbs of thrust is enough to maintain level flight. Once you add all the weight and have the EDFs sticking out, your L/D is not gonna be 3:1. Additionally, all thrust quotes are based on static thrust. As you approach your EDF's efflux speed (probably 190-220mph), your thrust drops to 0. That's the main reason Yves has to use a turbine, an EDF simply won't allow him to fly faster than ~170mph.

You're also going to want to over-rate all of your hardware so you don't run it at 100% all the time.

80lbs of thrust is considered about the very minimum to fly a paramotor with a paraglider that has a 7:1 glide ratio, and that's at 30mph. You might be able to stay level with an Aura 2 pulled up in a stall at 70mph, but that's about it.

photognat

2 things: Travis' size and the amount of thrust Yves is working with.

Unless you weigh 80lb or 90lbs, I'd be very surprised if 80lbs of thrust is enough to maintain level flight. Once you add all the weight and have the EDFs sticking out, your L/D is not gonna be 3:1. Additionally, all thrust quotes are based on static thrust. As you approach your EDF's efflux speed (probably 190-220mph), your thrust drops to 0. That's the main reason Yves has to use a turbine, an EDF simply won't allow him to fly faster than ~170mph.

You're also going to want to over-rate all of your hardware so you don't run it at 100% all the time.

80lbs of thrust is considered about the very minimum to fly a paramotor with a paraglider that has a 7:1 glide ratio, and that's at 30mph. You might be able to stay level with an Aura 2 pulled up in a stall at 70mph, but that's about it.

So where is the math you claimed to have used? All of the above is just speculation.