littlestranger

spiral down

littlestranger

spiral down was mentioned in a recent post and I confess to not being familiar with this maneuver. could someone please provide info/video? seems like a good skill to have.
thanks.

Sounds like a scenario for a collision if you aren't VERY careful and observant.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The examples I have seen very specific situations. I have seen advanced wingsuiters carve around non wingsuit groups. I have also seen acro pairs carve head down.

Bust it out on a group jump and you likely won't get invited to join em again!

There are a few that do it well and the rest aren't ready for it.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

WickedWingsuits

The examples I have seen very specific situations. I have seen advanced wingsuiters carve around non wingsuit groups. I have also seen acro pairs carve head down.

Bust it out on a group jump and you likely won't get invited to join em again!

There are a few that do it well and the rest aren't ready for it.

I have been doing some experiments with some head low, all crunched up type of flying, in order to burn off a lot of vertical separation without diving. It feels like the posture that some of those angle fliers use but I don't know what it really looks like from the outside. I can control my vertical speed fairly well and present a pretty small but variable cross section to the vertical component of the relative wind. I am sure others must have done this already but I have not heard others talk about this approach for going down fast without diving, stretched out.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

I have been doing some experiments with some head low, all crunched up type of flying, in order to burn off a lot of vertical separation without diving.

Its better to always remain a flying airframe in any move, regardless of it being a dive or swoop down. These type of crunched up dives 'stop flying' meaning if you need to suddenly break of switch direction, you will need a second or more of 'recovery' to start flying again. So id strongly discourage doing that kind of balling up to get down.

You always want to maintain the same direction as the formation, with at most a few degrees difference. To quickly dive down a burn altitude, make a side to side move, adding downward angle to your move on the way 'away' or 'out', similar to a quick left/right on a canopy.

This allows you to always keep a visual on the formation, and, if need be, abort the dive quickly (as the most aggressive part of the dive is 'away' from the group or person you're heading towards). On bigger groups you'd also do this behind the group, and much less aggressive.

But here is a short example showing a quick dive, without balling up (just slightly taking drive out with the legs, combined with a high chest, for a second, to not overshoot)

https://youtu.be/DCmT6cG1syY

Doing this sideways 'sway' or 'chasse' slower (holding the suit on its side longer) will bleed of more altitude. Always 'aim away from meat' when doing aggressive moves, and never at a formation. The move back towards your 'target' should be the smaller one.

Normally you'd of course do that much less agressive, but just an example on how to bleed of a good 300 ft in a second or two.

360 spirals and other moves where you differ with formation heading to much are strongly discouraged.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

This allows you to always keep a visual on the formation, and, if need be, abort the dive quickly (as the most aggressive part of the dive is 'away' from the group or person you're heading towards). On bigger groups you'd also do this behind the group, and much less aggressive.

Thanks.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

mccordia

I have been doing some experiments with some head low, all crunched up type of flying, in order to burn off a lot of vertical separation without diving.

Its better to always remain a flying airframe in any move, regardless of it being a dive or swoop down. These type of crunched up dives 'stop flying' meaning if you need to suddenly break of switch direction, you will need a second or more of 'recovery' to start flying again. So id strongly discourage doing that kind of balling up to get down.

You always want to maintain the same direction as the formation, with at most a few degrees difference. To quickly dive down a burn altitude, make a side to side move, adding downward angle to your move on the way 'away' or 'out', similar to a quick left/right on a canopy.

But here is a short example showing a quick dive, without balling up (just slightly taking drive out with the legs, combined with a high chest, for a second, to not overshoot)

https://youtu.be/DCmT6cG1syY

Doing this sideways 'sway' or 'chasse' slower (holding the suit on its side longer) will bleed of more altitude. Always 'aim away from meat' when doing aggressive moves, and never at a formation. The move back towards your 'target' should be the smaller one.

Normally you'd of course do that much less agressive, but just an example on how to bleed of a good 300 ft in a second or two.

360 spirals and other moves where you differ with formation heading to much are strongly discouraged.

That's fine if you're SURE that you are the only one diving. If there are several likely divers (such as on a big way) it's important to be predictable since the others may be out of your line of vision, and you move out of theirs if you start swaying laterally.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.