Danl-c

Pd Optimum as a main, longevity

SionaSioux

How is Daron relevant? They are going to slow the opening down and possibly give you more opportunity for line twists. What is your theory there? I am all ears.

No theory, just facts of basic physics.

Fascinating. Tell me more about untheoretical basic physics.

Quantum or Newtonian?

Your choice, I can handle either.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

How is Daron relevant? They are going to slow the opening down and possibly give you more opportunity for line twists. What is your theory there? I am all ears.

Quantum or Newtonian?

Well, maybe, just maybe - hear me out here, Doc - a quantum "many worlds" interpretation of what she wrote might make sense.

As in, it might not make sense to us here, but possibly in some parallel universe...
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

Skwrl

Quantum or Newtonian?

Well, maybe, just maybe - hear me out here, Doc - a quantum "many worlds" interpretation of what she wrote might make sense.

As in, it might not make sense to us here, but possibly in some parallel universe...

I bow to your... uncertainty.
Always remember the danger.

Never forget the fun!

Bufobufo

Every pull after a wingsuit flight is a potential screw-up. Picking a canopy to use for WS is a balance between what is "safe" and what is "fun". I think the key is to realize a Petra 69 isn't a good wingsuit choice, yet it's possible to stay relatively safe without going all in on the other side of the spectrum and jump a reserve either.

The more sensitive a canopy is to harness input, the more prone it will be to put you in a situation where you are flying on your back with linetwists all the way to your neck, with a spinning, diving canopy. Wing-load, length of lines and plan-form will all contribute.

Preferably you should use a canopy where you can just focus on unzipping your suit if you end up in a line-twist, while the canopy keeps flying straight, a situation where you can more or less do nothing, and then canopy and gravity will untwist you, without any struggle.

I've done roughly 200 wingsuit jumps under a katana 135 without problems, but I don't recommend it. I ended up using my old PDF Electra 150 as main in my new wingsuit configuration since I had a strong gut-feeling I wouldn't be in charge of the canopy in my bigger suit if shit hit the fan.

Although the Electra might be a bit elliptical in shape I prefer it over any other canopy out there due to it's flight characteristics. Short snivel, distinct opening , flat flight, predictable and smooth recovery and not very sensitive to harness input, hence not prone to go diving when in a line twist made it a good choice for me. The fact I paid less then 250$ (risers included) was also a contributing factor. ;)

I'm glad someone finally had something meaningful to add!!!

SO in summary what have we all learned from this thread??? WSing is the new IT, we are here to stay and gear is being made with our discipline in mind... MANY factors influence the opening of WS jumps to include: canopy type/size/material... WS size/flight style/body position/speed during deployment, other gear factors: mods like bridle length/PC size blah blah blah. I enjoy coming here to learn but also to share what I've learned through my own experiences. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soAirkFeyFU

So what happened to cause toggle fire? I'm guessing body body position during pull ... Notice that its there and its square and I know whats going on... Storm 170

I've also learned to quickly "manage" my openings via the risers while the canopy is in final line stretch and fully inflating...

See you in the flock :ph34r: