Danl-c

Pd Optimum as a main, longevity

I would love the Epicine. Unfortunately it is not allowed here in Norway due to it not having a TSO certificate.... I have been considering the Pilot 7 but 14 weeks delivery! And then trying to deal with Aerodyne. Love their products but their customer service is very touch and go. The Win-x you say? I will check it out. Thanks.

Danl-c

Is there anyone who has jumped the Optimum extensively as a main who can vouch for its longevity? I am seriously considering this as an option but I am concerned about how many jumps I will get out of it.

I remember a certain well known WS pilot (Jarno) who gave RAVE reviews on using said canopy as a main...

Now ask your self this: Do you really want to spend the same amount of money on some F-111 shit when you can buy a new canopy that will at least triple that in life expectancy??? Fuck it, its only $$$ right?

Seriously though, I know a few serious WS pilots who sware by the Epicene...

Did I mention I love my storm?

I have about 150 WS jumps. 100 of which on Pilot 150 and roughly 50 on a Storm 135. I love the Storm but I have had to chop it once. Every time I get line twists on it, it spins and dives. Mind you I have had 3 line twists in 50 jumps. Still, I am fed up...

Episcene is the shnizzle for sure. As far as much less expensive canopies, unless youre flying a 120 or under with a large wingsuit (in my experience), a sabre 1 is awesome and will cost you $300-400 US, I think that works out to like 12 Krone. Pilot, or other 7 cells will be great too. Low bulk canopies are great if youre flying wingsuits and have a small container and want a bigger canopy overhead. Keep in mind if you have a 150 ZP in your current container, youll have a 200 sq foot low bulk main. I know a few people who jumped optimums as mains all the time. PD isnt too happy about it and wont sell you one (or at least they wouldnt a few years ago) with a bridle attachment, so youll have to have it modified. I would say 500-1000 depending on treatment is a pretty good bet. Ive seen many base canopies go over 1000 that are the same or similar low bulk material.

Not exactly sure what their reasons are, just what I had been told by multiple people who requested exactly that from PD, including myself. Im guessing partly because the material wont last as long as ZP or normal F111, and that they couldn't control if someone put 500-1000 jumps on it and then sold it as a reserve. Im sure they have their reasons. PD had a similar light weight 7 cell wingsuit canopy that several people were jumping at ACES but I never really heard if or when its going into production.

Anyone that has the cash to spend on an episcene, its absolutely the best wingsuit canopy ive ever jumped, and im sure most others will say the same. I have a rig that barely fit a 120 sabre and now fits a 150 episcene nicely. Id characterize the openings as "comfortable base-like openings".

Danl-c

I have about 150 WS jumps. 100 of which on Pilot 150 and roughly 50 on a Storm 135. I love the Storm but I have had to chop it once. Every time I get line twists on it, it spins and dives. Mind you I have had 3 line twists in 50 jumps. Still, I am fed up...

Really? I have about 1,000 on my Storm and have yet to have a spinner (or any cutaway). The few times I have had line twists it untwisted itself.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Magnetic stowless bag. I leave about 10 inches of excess. I think I am a little unlucky with the canopy as well. Directly after every opening, no matter if it is a WS flight or regular frefall, the canopy turns to the right. Most of the time 90 to 180° sometimes up tp 360. I borrowed a 120 from a friend and put about 30 jumps on it before I bought my 135. Not once do I recall it turning. Even had a line twist on it and it motored straight ahead. I have measured the lines on mine and everything is within the parameters.

i've had a canopy with exactly the same problem. Took me a while to figure it out, but the workaraound solution for me turned out to be to steer the openings by grabbing a handfull of risers just above the rings and counteract the turn(s). Harness or rears didn't really work that well, but by controlling the riser group i was getting on-heading openings every time. It may not be possible if you fly a big PFthough

hjumper33

Episcene is the shnizzle for sure. As far as much less expensive canopies, unless youre flying a 120 or under with a large wingsuit (in my experience), a sabre 1 is awesome and will cost you $300-400 US, I think that works out to like 12 Krone. Pilot, or other 7 cells will be great too. Low bulk canopies are great if youre flying wingsuits and have a small container and want a bigger canopy overhead. Keep in mind if you have a 150 ZP in your current container, youll have a 200 sq foot low bulk main. I know a few people who jumped optimums as mains all the time. PD isnt too happy about it and wont sell you one (or at least they wouldnt a few years ago) with a bridle attachment, so youll have to have it modified. I would say 500-1000 depending on treatment is a pretty good bet. Ive seen many base canopies go over 1000 that are the same or similar low bulk material.

I use a stilleto with dacron lines loaded at 1.2. perfect wingsuit canopy; opens sweet whether in full flight or flare and the light loading and dacron means essentially zero line twists in 300+ ws jumps and absolutely zero spins.
Always remember the danger.

Never forget the fun!

SionaSioux

***Episcene is the shnizzle for sure. As far as much less expensive canopies, unless youre flying a 120 or under with a large wingsuit (in my experience), a sabre 1 is awesome and will cost you $300-400 US, I think that works out to like 12 Krone. Pilot, or other 7 cells will be great too. Low bulk canopies are great if youre flying wingsuits and have a small container and want a bigger canopy overhead. Keep in mind if you have a 150 ZP in your current container, youll have a 200 sq foot low bulk main. I know a few people who jumped optimums as mains all the time. PD isnt too happy about it and wont sell you one (or at least they wouldnt a few years ago) with a bridle attachment, so youll have to have it modified. I would say 500-1000 depending on treatment is a pretty good bet. Ive seen many base canopies go over 1000 that are the same or similar low bulk material.

I use a stilleto with dacron lines loaded at 1.2. perfect wingsuit canopy; opens sweet whether in full flight or flare and the light loading and dacron means essentially zero line twists in 300+ ws jumps and absolutely zero spins.

History tells us that a Stilleto is far from a "perfect wingsuit canopy". 300 openings in one scenario doesn't compare to what we have already learned about it.

I know a guy who had many successful jumps on a Velo with his wingsuit, until he didn't.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

Yup, couldn't agree more. There's a reason they're referred to as a spinetto. There was a while where I thought my crossfire 119 was a perfect wing suit canopy. Diving hard on your back in twists once or twice will teach you otherwise.

Elliptical canopies + wing suits = no Bueno

Gear choices are largely a matter of personal preference and some measure of common sense. I like that typically we have the freedom to choose what is best for our own skydiving needs. With that said, I don't think your choice is a good one and there is lots of history to back that up. I have lots of jumps on Stilettos years ago, probably 1300-1400 jumps, and think it's a great canopy even today. But it it would never be my choice for wingsuit flight. I hope it keeps working for you but 300 jumps really is not many and you should give some thought to probabilities...

Danl-c

Magnetic stowless bag. I leave about 10 inches of excess. I think I am a little unlucky with the canopy as well. Directly after every opening, no matter if it is a WS flight or regular frefall, the canopy turns to the right. Most of the time 90 to 180° sometimes up tp 360. I borrowed a 120 from a friend and put about 30 jumps on it before I bought my 135. Not once do I recall it turning. Even had a line twist on it and it motored straight ahead. I have measured the lines on mine and everything is within the parameters.

Here is my story:
I have jumped the very same canopy in the gears alternately:
VectorII: loose fit, original corners
Javelin: ok/tight fit, original corners
I had about 50-70cm excess line in the bottom of the container before the first(last) stow.

I had lot more line twist on Javelin.
Step 1:
I started to leave even more line free: 1.5-2m
I pack bridle to pin.
I got line twist less frequently, than before.

Step 2:
I got my Javelin's convers opened up.
Line twist became rare.

I have a SFS Fire now with semi stowless bag. I still leave about 1.5-2m lines free on the bottom of the container.
I don't have regular line twists anymore. I jump a Crossfire2, WL ~ 2.0.