mattabram

High altitude wing suiting

Hi folks,
Please can someone advise me on oxygen requirements when jumping from 19,000ft/6,000m. Is oxygen required in free fall? If so, what set ups are available?
Cheers,
Matt
God gave men 2 brains,but only enough blood to fill one at a time....I can live with that.

depends on where... and how legal you want to be... Also depends on how quickly the plane can get you there... faster planes can get to altitude quicker and leave you exposed to the oxygen lacking thin air for less time
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...

Oxygen in the plane is for sure 100% advised, safety wise.
In terms of freefall, depending on your performance (how long will you spend flying above 12.000 ft) and your physical fitness you can choose to go with or without.

Finding a DZ with proper training and guidence on higher altitude jumps is a must..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Most aspects already covered. 19000ft in a fast climbing aircraft with a rapid exit should be fine. However you physiology is affected by multiple factors including age, body fat and if you smoke being some of the most significant. BPA dz likely to mandate free streem O2 for this though its going to all depend on climb rate in reality. You will find some fairly clear rules. If you start looking at higher 25k+ your into pre breathes demand breathing or full pressure systems. Full pressure breathing kit is not readily available to civilian jumpers for the real high altitude 35k+ domain generally down to liability concerns. If things go wrong at these altitudes your time of useful condciousness drops dramatically 5-10 secs at 40k. You also start factoring in cold which can be -60c. However 19k you should be fine. If you want any other info pm me.
Dont just talk about it, Do it!

In the USA oxygen in the plane would be mandatory:

General. No person may operate a civil aircraft of U.S. registry—
(1) At cabin pressure altitudes above 12,500 feet (MSL) up to and including 14,000 feet (MSL) unless the required minimum flight crew is provided with and uses supplemental oxygen for that part of the flight at those altitudes that is of more than 30 minutes duration;
(2) At cabin pressure altitudes above 14,000 feet (MSL) unless the required minimum flight crew is provided with and uses supplemental oxygen during the entire flight time at those altitudes; and
(3) At cabin pressure altitudes above 15,000 feet (MSL) unless each occupant of the aircraft is provided with supplemental oxygen.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.