GoneCodFishing

Wingsuit fit

I've been on the lookout for a new (second hand) suit for some time now and it's becoming glaringly obvious that only lanky bastards take up wingsuiting and the not-so-logical part of me is telling me to buy something oversized and hope for the best.

So before i make an expensive mistake, what short of height difference you guys reckon i could realistically get away with while still being able to max the suit and not lose out in control and range?

Would 2 to 3 inches down from the original measurements be a bit of a push?

Just an fyi. I was at the Fitzgerald boogie recently. There was a w/s manufacturer there. I tried on one of their demo suits. It fit like a glove. BUT. Once I attached it up to my rig. It was a no go. Couldn't even come close to zipping it up. My 2 cents fwiw
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

It's different with different manufacturers. Some suits are built to fit tight and others more loosely.

A Vampire (any iteration) isn't very tolerant of size mismatches, for example. A looser fitting suit might be.
Apex BASE

I think it is fine to learn in a sloppy but safe fitting Wingsuit, perfection isn't needed. However, the tool you really want to perfect and spend years in it tends to be best to buy custom. You might get lucky on the used market but how long do you want to wait?

You want a Wingsuit that is part of you. I bet you would borrow a buddies shirt or pants, but would you borrow his undies? :)

Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

***I think it is fine to learn in a sloppy but safe fitting Wingsuit, perfection isn't needed. However, the tool you really want to perfect and spend years in it tends to be best to buy custom. You might get lucky on the used market but how long do you want to wait?

You want a Wingsuit that is part of you. I bet you would borrow a buddies shirt or pants, but would you borrow his undies? :)
Good advice Simon, and you probably have as much experience putting people in non custom suits as anyone. The only thing I would add is be careful about it being too sloppy, because of deployment issues.

But you're the man in this area,
Regards, B.

WickedWingsuits

I think it is fine to learn in a sloppy but safe fitting Wingsuit, perfection isn't needed. However, the tool you really want to perfect and spend years in it tends to be best to buy custom. You might get lucky on the used market but how long do you want to wait?

you're not friends until you borrow their undies.
IHYD

joeybee

If a suit is tight (built for someone shorter) from the shoulders to the bootie toes, but otherwise fits well, do you think adding an inch or two at the bootie soles to suit seam is a good option or not?

I had no choice but to add 2.5" to the booties as a temporary fix (didn't have time for manufacturer to fix it) on a new mattress class suit I bought. It changed the balance and characteristics of the suit significantly, not to mention you're also losing surface area. The new suit I received later flew noticeably better.

The effect is likely to be less pronounced on a smaller suit, however I would keep looking.

keithbar

Just an fyi. I was at the Fitzgerald boogie recently. There was a w/s manufacturer there. I tried on one of their demo suits. It fit like a glove. BUT. Once I attached it up to my rig. It was a no go. Couldn't even come close to zipping it up. My 2 cents fwiw

I have had a similar experience and after several suits I realized that the rig I was trying with the suit had short laterals. If you're overweight and/or you have short laterals this has a more dramatic effect on wingsuit fit. Switching to my rig with longer laterals made a significant difference to the fit.