xenomorph283

freak in flocks

I fly a phantom 3 and my friend has a freak. We are the same build and weight (the p3 was his suit)

It is defiantly doable, you will need to fly the suit dirty but not so much you cannot get docks or anything. Legs bent and knees together to kill the speed

It makes me sad at break off when he goes max and disappears. I am often unzipped when I see him deploying in the distance at a similar altitude.

I disagree and the reason for that, is that I as a Wingsuit instructor aim to fly next to my students, in a compatible suit, as you really should demonstrate visually to the student how you are supposed to fly this wingsuit-thing. If you did that in a big-suit, you would be curled completely up, trying to kill it's performance, so the student does not learn much from watching you hurtling along in a mega suit, does he? Many people learn from watching, more than listening or in a combo. And if you then also want to compete in the upcoming FAI Acro competitions, you would need that small acro capable suit also. I know you could do that in a Freak, but I would still argue that the team would be more agile in a small-class suit. So, my advice is to keep the small suit in the closet as you progress to bigger suits. It still has relevance as an instructor suit or competition suit.

+1 to everything you said.

birdynamnam

If you did that in a big-suit, you would be curled completely up, trying to kill it's performance, so the student does not learn much from watching you hurtling along in a mega suit, does he?

Also, you'd look stupid. :D
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

curled completely up, trying to kill it's performance

And that description is why most people struggle...arch, swoop wings back, raise chest if needing to slow down. But present a smooth profile, vs 'curling up' and turning your wingsuit into a big drag-catching tandemdrogue...fly it down, vs fighting it down. Wings should never fold. Knees should not be dropped.

You can fly any big suit with trackers, as long as you fly it smooth.
But similar to being able to do drifting with a garbage truck...its not the ideal choice to begin with..

That said...any small suit jump should easily clock in at 2 minutes of freefall. Yet most big suit jumps these days fly the suits with arms swooped back, hardly doing anything that would actually demand the big suit flow...if you fly a big expensive suit...USE IT;)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

As they say, "dress for success".

If you want to fly with friends who have smaller suits then my vote would be you have a more appropriate suit and add the Freak to your collection for when it is appropriate.

I think we are clearly reaching a time where most wingsuiters have more than just one suit in their armory.

It's just how many non-wingsuiters have belly and free fly suits.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

WickedWingsuits

As they say, "dress for success".

If you want to fly with friends who have smaller suits then my vote would be you have a more appropriate suit and add the Freak to your collection for when it is appropriate.

I think we are clearly reaching a time where most wingsuiters have more than just one suit in their armory.

It's just how many non-wingsuiters have belly and free fly suits.

+1
Larger flocks that have slow forward speed. I see people in suits that are somewhat large falling out of the formations. Often these people have much more experience than I do but it seems the speed and the suit are a bad match.

Someone said to hang on to your smaller suit. I think that is good advice.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”