skyline.xxl

experience with new funk 2 by squirrel

Thijs

***(90 WS jumps, mostly ibird)

What is your reason to get a bigger wingsuit?
At 90 jumps there is probably still a lot you can learn in a smaller suit.
yes you are right,but thats not my question.
i ever rented or borrowed one,
its not only for going bigger,
its: i`d like to have an own ws
and there is green light from my ws coach
;)

Have lots of jumps in the Funk, currently flying the Freak. You should be able to fly the Funk-2 w. no problems. Not many have tried the Funk-2, it is after all in pre-order stage. As the wing profile got slimmed down a'lot, just like the Freak, and as is a hands-free design, the pull can be expected to be extraordinary easy. For the first few flights, you can open up the internal pressure vents for even easier handling and pulls

birdynamnam

Have lots of jumps in the Funk, currently flying the Freak. You should be able to fly the Funk-2 w. no problems. Not many have tried the Funk-2, it is after all in pre-order stage. As the wing profile got slimmed down a'lot, just like the Freak, and as is a hands-free design, the pull can be expected to be extraordinary easy. For the first few flights, you can open up the internal pressure vents for even easier handling and pulls

thanks for your advice birdynamnam!
we pm`ed in december, do you remember?
i already talk to squirrel now and also to rob. my measurement is over, the funk 2 is in order status and in the next days, i will order one.
i think my decision is fine and i will be happy.
thx for your support

Received my Funk 2 this evening. I'll share my initial impressions. Hopefully I'll get to fly it this weekend.

All inlets now have the structural rib in the center. Rear inlets are smaller than the fronts now and leg wing only has 1 center inlet rather than the 2 on the Funk1. Using a blow dryer, the smaller rear inlets are less efficient for sure. Wonder if this will affect back exits at all. Front inlets allow amazing inflation as usual.

Glideskin on the legs is no longer there. I always thought it was kind of pointless anyways.

Fits me like a glove in all areas. Definitely a different feel to the baggy Funk1.

Leading edge structure is fantastic. It uses the same grainy glideskin as the Freak with the stretchy wrist area. The mylar is now larger, almost going to the end of the wing inlet. There is now removable structural foam that only goes down half span.

Using the blow dryer, I tested out how collapsing the suit felt. It seems like the Funk2 is much better at holding in air. I didn't notice as much of a difference with the pressure zippers open compared to closed. There was still a noticeable positive pressure to collapse both arm and legs wings. On the Funk1, there was a stark difference. With the zippers open, there was very little resistance.

Really excited to test this out in the air if weather permits. I'll report back on how it flies.

I got to put a couple flights on it this weekend.

I'm really liking the minor differences.

Overall pressurization has been reduced. It is no longer hyperpressurized like the Funk1, and even with the zippers fully closed, I had no issues collapsing the suit. The tighter fit makes the suit just feel more precise.

Forward speed has definitely improved. I was able to catch up to groups I don't think I would have been able to in the Funk1. Openings were a little bit more spicy.

Fantastic float. On 2 of my jumps, my dytter actually thought I was under canopy prematurely, which I can only usually do on big suits.

As predicted, I did notice a slightly longer inflation time when performing back exits. The tail is just slightly more susceptible to flutter if you have a bad body position so I had to put just the smallest positive leg pressure to prevent that. Still incredibly stable on its back. I want to say that the reduced back inlets reduces drag which is what is partially adding to additional forward drive.

Wasn't able to practice too many transitions or barrel rolls yet, so I'll try to play around with those next time I jump.